Stats - Indian Bowling Woes

Guest BossBhai

Well, BB, can we get it from 2003+ onwards ? I know its a short frame for the context of the stats but I am wondering if that has changed in the very recent past. Also, is this attributable to lack of good pace bowlers apart from Srinath since 1995 till 2000+. I mean we had Prasad as the second new ball bowler - and he wasn't fast by any means of the word.

pls feel free to enlighten us kids with your cricket gyan.
I don't know about the others but I will school you son. Stats like the ones you spilled out in the first couple of posts are not reflective of the vast differences in the Indian cricket teams various bowlers. Remarkeable how the stats present a different picture all together when you take the figures from 2003 onwards. And finally these stats are NOT weighted to consider flat decks you get in the subcontinent where the majority of the wickets are taken towards the end of the test when the pitches start crumbling/cracking. I could go on, but why bother. If you don't want to add any depth into a thread you created why should I bother doing it for you? So yes this thread is absolutely full of fail when you add your own conclusion like "Indian bowling Woes."
isnt that the whole point of debating on a forum ? Did I claim anywhere in this thread that this is the be-all and end-all of our bowling woes ? If you have a better understanding of the situation please by all means go ahead and state it. I will even crunch stats to illustrate your point of view.
When you create a thread and post stats with the title "Indian Bowling Woes" you're making a pretty clear statement. But if you're not willing to back that up when someone disagrees then it's not my problem, "isn't that the whole point of debating on a forum?" :cantstop:
When you create a thread and post stats with the title "Indian Bowling Woes" you're making a pretty clear statement. But if you're not willing to back that up when someone disagrees then it's not my problem, "isn't that the whole point of debating on a forum?" :cantstop:
I don't think I agree with you Fontain, here. How can you generalise the pitches in India saying that they are flat, as if they are lively elsewhere?!! Where in world are the pitches lively and wickets fall evenly on all the five days? Australian pitches have been as flat as pancakes. Pitches in England are terrific batting tracks too and it is the weather condition which aids swing bowling there. And almost same is the case in South Africa as well where pitches are hard and bouncy but hardly lively. Besides that Indian bowling woes are not new to the Indian cricket fans, even if they do not have access to extensive stats. Who can forget the triple centuries from the Lankan duos? And before you pounce on to say it was the flat sub continent pitch, I want to remind you that every country has to play there and Indian bowlers have not been the only foreign bowlers to bowl on such pitches! Besides, had Indian pitches been as flat as you are trying to portray, there would have been many triple centuries slammed here? Why has only one person been able to achieve that feat in last 75 years if pitches here are so flat? Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread much, but BB can you differentiate Indian bowlers' performance at home and away, using your criteria?
It's not a diplomatic communique that BossBhai came out with - he doesn't need to make a "pretty clear statement". Chillout' date=' ffs! As you can see, a lot of posters here are always thankful to BossBhai for his numbers. If you feel like you have an issue with his stats and analysis, speak the fu*k out. But don't go all condescending.[/quote'] I pretty much did speak out. Looks like it went over your head though.
I don't think I agree with you Fontain, here. How can you generalise the pitches in India saying that they are flat, as if they are lively elsewhere?!! Where in world are the pitches lively and wickets fall evenly on all the five days? Australian pitches have been as flat as pancakes. Pitches in England are terrific batting tracks too and it is the weather condition which aids swing bowling there. And almost same is the case in South Africa as well where pitches are hard and bouncy but hardly lively. Besides that Indian bowling woes are not new to the Indian cricket fans, even if they do not have access to extensive stats. Who can forget the triple centuries from the Lankan duos? And before you pounce on to say it was the flat sub continent pitch, I want to remind you that every country has to play there and Indian bowlers have not been the only foreign bowlers to bowl on such pitches! Besides, had Indian pitches been as flat as you are trying to portray, there would have been many triple centuries slammed here? Why has only one person been able to achieve that feat in last 75 years if pitches here are so flat? Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread much, but BB can you differentiate Indian bowlers' performance at home and away, using your criteria?
The evidence suggests otherwise. Well known bowlers, pitch curators and the BCCI pretty much back that up.

Boss, any chance we could get the stats broken down into time periods for India? To compare with the 2003-present, it'd be interesting to see what the numbers are for 1990-1993 (Kapil's monopoly period of a fast bowler's spot when bowling at Paul Collingwood pace in the crawl after Hadlee's record) and 1996-1998 (the best years for Srinath/Prasad with Kuruvilla occasionally shining as a support act). If you really have time, it'd be fascinating to see what happened from the dark dark days of 7th October 1998 to mid 2002, around the end of the England tour (a grim, desperate period when one AB Agarkar featured prominently in our test attack). :--D

Besides' date=' had Indian pitches been as flat as you are trying to portray, there would have been many triple centuries slammed here? Why has only one person been able to achieve that feat in last 75 years if pitches here are so flat?[/quote'] Triple centuries have nothing to do with flat tracks. There've been so many flat tracks in the world, and only a handful of triple hundreds scored. That's an achievement more indicative of quality batsmen with incredible hunger for runs, ability and stamina and will, batsmen like Sehwag, Lara, Bradman, Hutton and Sobers who set themselves apart from the pack. Citing # triple tons doesn't add to the no-flat-pitches argument, Fontaine is right in this regard.