Who will be the new coach ?

Re: Who will be the new coach ?

No coach will be able to fix this team. Change the personnel in the team for ODIs while keeping the experienced ones for the test cricket. Results will start showing after a while. Now well and truly the team needs a rebuild.
Yes. Rebuilding a team in ODIs is essential. We were on that path till about 5 months back but the failure of youngsters in SA stopped us. But we'll have to start that all over again without fearing for the results. Results aren't going to be victories from day1 but I'm sure after one year we'll be on track. For that we need: 1. A new and attacking captain : suggest your choices 2.Drop or make Sachin, Ganguly,Rahul, Kumble retire from ODIs 3. Give a long break to Bhajji and bring in an attacking spinner 4.Pay attention to fielding and fitness 5.New coach (I personally would like Chappell to leave. How about you?) 6.Have a bowling coach to guide our young seamers

Re: Who will be the new coach ? Bring in Srinath as bowling coach and find out whatever happened to Balaji, Nehra et al. They have good experience playing international cricket and they sure can chip in for the likes of Pathan and Agarkar. Get Piyush Chawla or any spinners that have peformed well over the last couple of years. They can't do any badly than Harbhajan.

Re: Who will be the new coach ? Ravi, Balaji is in London for further treatment of the stress-fracture that he sustained again during the Duleep-Trophy matches. And I watched Nehra in the domestic matches. He was unimpressive. Ishant Sharma was more impressive than him. But I have not watched Ishant in the longer version. And yes. Time is ripe to introduce Chawla in the ODIs. Anyway, I think we should think of rebuilding completely from now itself. Sri as bowling coach?? Not bad but while he is in ICC services, I don't think he'll be able to coach. I think we need a full time coach.

Re: Who will be the new coach ? Gator, We HAVE to give him chance. Only turning the ball doesn't matter. You should have an attacking brain to plot your wickets too. Harbhajan seems to have gone blunt there. Perhaps even the captain didn't support an attacking spinner. So we need to change the captain as well.

Re: Who will be the new coach ?

Ravi, Balaji is in London for further treatment of the stress-fracture that he sustained again during the Duleep-Trophy matches. And I watched Nehra in the domestic matches. He was unimpressive. Ishant Sharma was more impressive than him. But I have not watched Ishant in the longer version. And yes. Time is ripe to introduce Chawla in the ODIs. Anyway, I think we should think of rebuilding completely from now itself. Sri as bowling coach?? Not bad but while he is in ICC services, I don't think he'll be able to coach. I think we need a full time coach.
Sri will finish his contract by May/June I think. I'm sure he will be more than happy to be involved in some capacity for the good of Indian cricket.

Re: Who will be the new coach ? Firstly will the overseas coaches accept to coach India at all? I know it happened with the Pakistan coach and it's got nothing to do with India but still people will be guarded when they want to coach India as well. Why not try an Indian coach? I know some of the players will find it hard to respect anyone that is not a legend. Wonder if there are many Indian coaches that have done the certifications at all. I don't believe in coaches making huge differences at all. In the days of Gaekwad these fellas used to deliver quite frequently and that shows how much a coach's contribution affected the team.

Re: Who will be the new coach ? To be honest the coaches don't really do as much strategy as cricket fans reckon. Usually the cricketers, the support staff including the coach sit together and formulate a plan for each player. I don't reckon it is that hard now that there are support crew that are there to provide the video footage. The coaches discuss with the players and everyone has a say in the meeting. Eventually it boils down to the players to go out and perform there. As for bowling, fielding yes you can formulate a plan but how can you formulate how to bat out there in the middle? Batting is more instinct than planning. A certain batsman will usually play the way he is usually used to. Coaches make subtle changes such as an initial movement or being more side on and such. There is no way a coach or a batsman can plan his batting. Yes it is possible to tune yourself mentally to bat in a certain way but coach can do zilch about a batsman's form IMO. As for fielding there are plenty of things you could do such as positioning the best fielders in the crucial areas or hiding bad fielders. You could ask the bowlers to bowl in a certain area and set up a field for it. You could even plan how to bowl to a batter and set field for a particular batter. Mostly batting cannot be coached in particular how to go out and perform in the middle. The batters themselves are the best coaches with regards to their batting. Coaching of batters happen when they are young and even when playing domestic cricket. Once they are in international cricket all they have to do is toughen up mentally. It is possible to get carried away with pressure and not watch every ball out of the hand. Moments such as that requires top class concentration and no coach can teach that. Outside the game it is not too hard for the coach to take care of the team. It will involve running the training sessions (most coaches will be adept at that), making inspiring speech (surely Indians know about pressure situations better than any), motivating the players and ensure there is a relaxed atmosphere to get the best out of the players. I really think coach?s role is way over rated. Sure there are little more than what I've mentioned above but grazing laptop 24x7 will definitely not help unless of course there is right personnel and players that are in right frame of mind to perform. It is not just Chappell that has failed. Even the likes of Bob Woolmer with all his innovative techniques could do really nothing. Sometimes I feel whether coach is required at all for teams like India that rely on instinct to play cricket rather than plans.

Re: Who will be the new coach ? I agree that it is NOT Chappell who has failed--it is the players who caved in during a pressure situation and even more painfully, they were our best batsmen with tremendous experience. But Chappell has no business to tell the media now that he favoured Raina's inclusion over Ganguly or the seniors blocked the the inclusion of the youngsters or anything of that sort. It is simply adding fuel to the fire of the public anger and disappointment! I think because of this simple thing and attitude, I'd like Chappell to leave!

Re: Who will be the new coach ? Completely agree with you on that. Greg Chappell is known to pass the buck. These coaches have all kind of set up with the media. It was possible for the fella that wrote the article about Greg's SMS to do it earlier but didn't do it for obvious reasons. If India had suceeded in making it to the super 8s or further this SMS could not have seen light at all. Only at the behest of the coach will have the article seen light. Moreover Raina was a bigger flop than anyone else. He could have added value with his fielding but his batting is way worse and didn't deserve to be in the team. Greg Chappell has had his time. The captaincy and coach is closely connected with results. If they can't produce results then they have no moral rights to continue. It is not like he didn't serve his full tenure. He was employed for couple of years and he has done his time.

Re: Who will be the new coach ? Now I can understand why that Australian on the C4 forum was telling me that Chappell was not a good coach at all as he had seen Chappell coaching South Australia and had seen that team hitting the rock-bottom during Chappell's tenure as well. But I was really impressed by Chappell's theories at Chappell-way at that time and didn't agrre with that fellow. But now I've seen Chappell. I'll never want him to continue. Sandeep Patil would be better.