Sheffield Shield final - Victoria v. Queensland

Donny

Bushfire relief concert sold-out The last tickets to Melbourne's Sound Relief bush fire benefit concert have been snapped up, just hours after the last batch went on sale this morning. Several international and Australian acts will perform at two charity events to be held simultaneously in Melbourne and Sydney on March 14. Money raised from the $75 tickets will go to the Red Cross Bushfire Appeal for victims of Black Saturday. Sound Relief organisers said the MCG concert in Melbourne sold out this morning after going on sale on Wednesday. "We weren't anticipating them to sell quite as well as they did. It's an amazing result, and a great show of support from the public," spokeswoman Reegan Stark said. More than 76,000 fans are expected to attend the event. The Sydney concert is tipped to be sold out by the end of the week, with only a small number of its 50,000 tickets remaining. If the Sydney show sells out, almost $10 million will be generated through ticket sales. Kings of Leon and Coldplay will headline the concerts, but many fans are awaiting the reunions of Midnight Oil and Split Enz. The Melbourne bill includes Jack Johnson, Augie March, Gabriella Cilmi, Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson with Troy Cassar-Daly, Jet, Midnight Oil, Paul Kelly, Split Enz, Wolfmother and Bliss N Eso with Paris Wells. The Sydney concert will feature an acoustic set by Coldplay as well as Josh Pyke, Eskimo Joe, The Hoodoo Gurus, Jet, Wolfmother, Icehouse, Little Birdy, The Presets, You Am I and the Midnight Juggernauts. http://www.theage.com.au/national/bushfire-relief-concert-soldout-20090306-8ql0.html

Still raining. Has eased but this ground is not renowned for its good drainage. If anyone is wondering why the SS final is not at the MCG, the big ground is hosting a concert for the Bushfires Relief appeal, today.
Thats awesome. Hope you weren't affected too much by it. :(( (Ok, I'll be honest - I don't know where you are - so if you were in the middle of it or were away from it by a 1000 miles, I wouldn't know).

Thanks mate. No, I am in northeast NSW but a lot of my family lives in Victoria. Thankfully, all are accounted for although some lost friends in Kinglake - a small town which was almost totally destroyed. storyfire470.jpg Kinglake, after the fire. More than 30 people died there.

Thanks mate. No, I am in northeast NSW but a lot of my family lives in Victoria. Thankfully, all are accounted for although some lost friends in Kinglake - a small town which was almost totally destroyed. storyfire470.jpg Kinglake, after the fire. More than 30 people died there.
Terribly sorry to hear that. Its great that a lot of people have put their hand up for the recovery though.
oils.jpgGarrett - in those days. PETER Garrett reunited his old band Midnight Oil last night and rocked a crowd of adoring fans, a fine warm up for tomorrow's Sound Relief gig at the MCG. The Environment Minister took to the stage at Canberra's National Convention Centre with the Oils, thrilling thousands with a repertoire including many of their classic hits. Opening with Redneck Wonderland, the Oils were in fine musical form, although Garrett looked less comfortable performing than in his pre-politics days. Garrett spent the daylight hours nearby at Parliament House, suited up as the nation's Environment Minister. But the evening saw him back to his musical roots in what he himself fancied would be a memorable show. "Tonight will be amazing," he said before the show, "given that I haven't sung with the Oils since WaveAid. "And getting ready for a big benefit concert means playing lots of songs fast and loud." Garrett last performed with the Oils in 2005 at a concert for victims of the Boxing Day tsunami, when he was an Opposition MP. He proved he's still got it, breaking out the harmonica for a rousing rendition of Blue Sky Mine. Joking with the crowd, he said he was probably the only one who had to go to work tomorrow. The Oils were playing two warm-up shows in Canberra ahead of tomorrow's concert in Melbourne. http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25179980-5006024,00.html 0,,6529004,00.jpgGarrett in these days.