Bravery (chauvanism) in the face of adversity (incompetence)...

Ajantha Mendis had shrapnel removed from his back and head © AFP Ajantha Mendis, the Sri Lankan spinner who was injured among with some of his team-mates in the terrorist attack on their team bus in Lahore earlier this month, has been discharged from hospital after shrapnel was extracted from his head and back. Tharanga Paranavitana and assistant coach Paul Fabrace were discharged over the weekend while Thilan Samaraweera, who had a bullet removed from his thigh, remained under observation. Mendis thanked all those involved in getting the team out of Pakistan and treating the players. "That is the medical staff both in Pakistan and Sri Lanka as well as the officials from Sri Lanka Cricket and the sports ministry and, the president and the cabinet of ministers for the way they helped us to overcome a difficult situation," Mendis was quoted as saying by PA. The players have been undergoing post-trauma counselling and doctor Geethanjana Mendis said the medical team had reported that the players were "shaken up". "But those not injured can resume training next week," he said. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Just shows how lucky these guys were to still be alive and also how serious there injuries were.

Bravery (chauvinism) in the face of adversity (incompetence)... So yeah, you would have to have been living under a rock to not have heard about the most egregious attack on sportsmen since the 1972 Munich Olympics. The Sri Lankan team came under fire from the lunatic fringe of the Pakistani populace, that with every passing day seems to less of a fringe... And as a consequence, several players suffered bullet wounds. Yes, you heard me right, athletes suffered bullet wounds. Nevertheless the response of those under fire, and those responsible for protecting the former has been both courageous, hopeful, perverted and a bit insane. I am not referring to the complaint filed against chris broad, aptly labeled racist prior to the complaint, i am referring to the response of some of the Sri Lankan team. Several of them have suggested that they would return to Pakistan. Now, this might very well be grand standing, a move to let the world know that we are not deterred but is there any truth to these statements? Furthermore, is there any logical reasoning in these statements? Would you and i return to a township where we have been brutalized, victimized, and all because those who promised to protect us were grotesquely negligent in their duty? I think not. Then what is with the Sri Lankan team's statements that they are willing to return to Pakistan and the complete absence of apology from the latter? A failure at the hour, as severe as that of the pakistani security forces, one of whom feigned death to avoid injury to himself, speaks volumes about not just the preparation and training of these security personel, but also the calous approach of those organizing the event! And yet, the world is adopted political politeness when what we really need is an expose! Head ought to roll! Some patsy ought to be crucified, and the players must voice their unanimous opinion: protect us, or frack you! I do hope that the IPL learns a lesson from this and arranges for considerable security for the athletes. Last year, the events in Jaipur were just astonishing! the team was forced, nay held hostage and made to complete their contractual agreement when there was a very tangible threat to their lives! incompetent buffoons overwhelmed those who are nothing short of goodwill ambassadors from foreign states and forced the later to conform for the financial advantage of the former...

They may comment they'll return perhaps out of diplomacy's sake. Maybe they don't want to upset their or Pakistan's board, maybe they're just sick of talking about it and want to get on with it. Keep in mind that most of them have families, and I wonder for that reason if they'll return. If Ajantha Mendis was having shrapnel removed from his body in a hospital, would his wife/parents/kids want him to go out back to Pakistan to play? Easier ways to earn an honest living without being shot at...

They may comment they'll return perhaps out of diplomacy's sake. Maybe they don't want to upset their or Pakistan's board, maybe they're just sick of talking about it and want to get on with it. Keep in mind that most of them have families, and I wonder for that reason if they'll return. If Ajantha Mendis was having shrapnel removed from his body in a hospital, would his wife/parents/kids want him to go out back to Pakistan to play? Easier ways to earn an honest living without being shot at...
correct. in fact last week Sanga said, in future we have to get approval from family before any tours. even for IPL, the SL board now is asking for security clearance. just imagine a security clearance for a pakistan tour!!! Reg Dickason will give it, negative!