Ashes 2009

Now can we take the discussion back to England vs Australia? Who is stronger? If Pietersen is ruled out in any of the matches, will England be thrashed by an inning? If Flintoff comes back (as the signs are encouraging) will England attack be more potent than that of Australia as they have Swann and also Pasnesar in their bowling line up? What will be the result? Or rather, what do you think the result will be? Who'll win the first test at Cardiff, supposedly a turning track?
Sorry Chandanji, didn't see your post. I'm done :--D

I can understand people saying that India are better then Australia in Tests now, even though I disagree with that still, but Im very surprised people think they have been bettter then us over the past decade, I thought it was quite obvious we have been the dominate force. Now we are in a rebuilding phase, but we still have quality players and people who are beginning to step up. Also, point to poor umpiring all you want, but the fact is India have had many lucky calls over time, mistakes are part and parcel of the game- using it as an excuse for the results in the series, seems a bit silly. If we analyse every bad decision made in the game over its existance and how that game may have panned out if they had been different we would be here forever.

I can understand people saying that India are better then Australia in Tests now' date=' even though I disagree with that still, but Im very surprised people think they have been bettter then us over the past decade, I thought it was quite obvious we have been the dominate force. .[/quote'] Not overall a better test team over the decade. Clearly the aussies were the No 1 team in all formats of the game for last 12 years. But we were better then the aussies in head to heads over the last 12 years. The stats dont lie:sherlock: To me this is dammning in aussie claims to have greatest team ever comapared to windies great era
Guest Gunner
I can understand people saying that India are better then Australia in Tests now' date=' even though I disagree with that still, but Im very surprised people think they have been bettter then us over the past decade, I thought it was quite obvious we have been the dominate force. Now we are in a rebuilding phase, but we still have quality players and people who are beginning to step up. [/quote'] I agree with you that Australia had a better test team but the question is whether you can beat us with your unidimensional bowling attack, which was clearly not the case in the India tour recently.
Also' date=' point to poor umpiring all you want, but the fact is India have had many lucky calls over time, mistakes are part and parcel of the game- using it as an excuse for the results in the series, seems a bit silly. If we analyse every bad decision made in the game over its existance and how that game may have panned out if they had been different we would be here forever.[/quote'] I don't believe in whingeing about the umpiring but you have to take it on the chin when it goes against you as well and not just preach it to the rest. Symonds had the gumption to point to his bat after being given out LBW in Perth, he clearly forgot Sydney, didn't he. If that ain't being a sore loser, what is?
Guest Gunner
But we were better then the aussies in head to heads over the last 12 years. The stats dont lie:sherlock: To me this is dammning in aussie claims to have greatest team ever comapared to windies great era
This is factually wrong - 1) We did not have a better head to head, it was tied at 10 tests each. 2) The win-loss record of the aussies from 1995 onwards is superior to that of the windies from the 80s. But before anyone starts jumping up and down, I am only saying that the aussies were statistically better. Whos was the better team is an altogether different question which is outside the sscope of this thread.