Dravid Is India's New Spin Coach

Re: Dravid Is India's New Spin Coach

For one Sehwag there has been a MSK Prasad' date=' Parthiv Patel, Laxman, Yuvraj, Bangar and few others. It's not about right or wrong. The fact is very plain and simple. Both Tendulkar and Ganguly despite being openers in ODIs did not front up to open the inning in test matches but sent guys like MSK Prasad (that was the worst choice) and the rest. Whether that move would have been excellent or not is secondary. They could have opened considering they opened in ODIs for a consistent period of time but they didn't.[/quote']PP could well have been another good decision, unfortunately he couldn't do his main job well. MSK Prasad was a horrible choice but it was the time when if Tendu fell, it was all done and dusted, in fact he was given wrongly out about half the time in that series IIRC. So making himself opener would've been just another selfish move given that yet another umpiring blunder was unavoidable and probably the team would've had half the runs in the end. Tendu didn't have the luxury of having another tendu to follow, so yeah it's his huge fault :hic:

Re: Dravid Is India's New Spin Coach I'm a big fan of Dravid's batting and I can appreciate that without sniping at others in every post, just to clear up before all hell breaks lose tomorrow about how selfish the mafiaboss and bengal kitty are

For one Sehwag there has been a MSK Prasad' date=' Parthiv Patel, Laxman, Yuvraj, Bangar and few others. It's not about right or wrong. The fact is very plain and simple. Both Tendulkar and Ganguly despite being openers in ODIs did not front up to open the inning in test matches but sent guys like MSK Prasad (that was the worst choice) and the rest. Whether that move would have been excellent or not is secondary. They could have opened considering they opened in ODIs for a consistent period of time but they didn't.[/quote']PP could well have been another good decision, unfortunately he couldn't do his main job well. MSK Prasad was a horrible choice but it was the time when if Tendu fell, it was all done and dusted, in fact he was given wrongly out about half the time in that series IIRC. So making himself opener would've been just another selfish move given that yet another umpiring blunder was unavoidable and probably the team would've had half the runs in the end. Tendu didn't have the luxury of having another tendu to follow, so yeah it's his huge fault :hic:
Anakin u miss the whole point. U are driving in circles :hic: . Am not sure i follow ur logic. First Ravi states, Dravid, as captain did something that other captains (Tendu, Ganguly, Azza) wouldnt have done. To refute this u state Ganguly was willing to open in the same game and that the track was flat etc. When countered that Ganguly had a motive & that when captain he never quite opted to open inspite of the numerous opportunities, u cite Sehwag opening being a brilliant move & anti-Ganguly hate etc. Do u see any logical progression in any of these retorts ? :hic: Ravi hit the nail on the head in his response. Its about a captain preferring to open knowing its a TOUGH job, and knowing he has the option to send someone else. Yet he chooses to open. It tells me two things about the captain: a) That the captain is not someone who'd run away from challenges. He's willing to catch the bull by its horns. b) And that the captain does not want to risk someone else, who is not qualified to open. This shows that the captain is willing to take BIG responsibilities on his shoulders, rather than deferring this tough job to someone else. The only way u can successfully & logically refute this claim, is by citing an instance of a former Indian captain in recent times, who is also not a regular opener, coming out to open in a high pressure game. Anything else would constitute a devious & 'beating around the bush' argument.

Why do you reckon we fault Tendulkar just because we criticize his decisions as a captain? I don't think promoting himself as an opener would have been that bad. I clearly remember Gandhi struggling for form on that tour. Even Laxman couldn't produce runs and eventually MSK Prasad was used. Why only focus on that series? There have been so many before and after that but I've never seen Ganguly or Tendulkar replace a struggling opener in overseas conditions :shrug: As much a fan you are of Rahul Dravid, I am of Tendulkar and Ganguly. I don't hate Tendulkar or Ganguly either. I like to speak my mind and if you reckon that is vilifying Tendulkar than you are grossly wrong. It is not like I don't criticize Rahul Dravid. That doesn't mean I hate him. It is a fact Rahul Dravid is a more willing to take a risk with his batting than say a Tendulkar or Ganguly. Also Anil Kumble is the shrewdest player in the Indian team doesn?t mean the rest are sissies. Similarly Ganguly is the most aggressive Indian captain I?ve come across doesn?t mean Kapil Dev or Gavaskar were wuss.

BTW Ganguly opened bowling against the mighty OZs' date=' let's talk when Dravid does that :hic: :hic: :lmao: :lmao:[/quote'] :hic: Was that as a captain? I can't recall that test match.

Re: Dravid Is India's New Spin Coach Azar was the captain i think wasnt that the famous eden match where we wiped the floor with the aussies? Srinath was at his destructive best that day. And gangs ended up with three wickets by the end of the day. All this so that we could play 3 spinners in Eden garden :lmao: :lmao:

btw when azhar was made captain even then people thought there was no option available. unless u throw someone in the middle u will never know..
fantastic point DR ... but unfortunately this time around our spineless board has the option of sticking with the same captain (which wasnt the case in azhars time)

Re: Dravid Is India's New Spin Coach @Ravi, I don't think criticizing tendulkar's captaincy is wrong and I wasn't really talking about you. I was just commenting on the majority of recent posts here. And Bumper bhai, I'm not the only one going around in circle, as I said even Ganguly was relishing to open on that track probably for the first time ever and trying to seal his spot in the team, doesn't really support the sheer direness of the situation. You probably should use the same cynical mind as Ganguly batted slow intentionally to see Dravid suffer or whatever.

BTW Ganguly opened bowling against the mighty OZs' date=' let's talk when Dravid does that :hic: :hic: :lmao: :lmao:[/quote'] :hic: Was that as a captain? I can't recall that test match.
I was just kidding around, but RD doesn't bowl does he :hic:

Re: Dravid Is India's New Spin Coach Also not sure if that's the only requirement for taking the bull by the horn, if not, Ganguly came to bat early to protect a struggling Sachin, Sachin chose to take strike breaking their usual pattern to protect sehwag from akram, sachin gladly volunteered to bowl the last over without bowling one single delivery in the whole match when kapil was backing away from azhar's choice.

Re: Dravid Is India's New Spin Coach http://eap.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1997-98/AUS_IN_IND/AUS_IND_T2_18-22MAR1998.html

#1409 INDIA v AUSTRALIA 1997-98 2nd Test Calcutta 18th - 21st March 1998 India won by an innings and 219 runs Australia 1st Innings 233 SR Waugh 80, RT Ponting 60, GR Robertson 29 SC Ganguly 3/28, A Kumble 3/44, J Srinath 3/80 India 1st Innings 633 for 5 dec M Azharuddin 163*, NS Sidhu 97, VVS Laxman 95 GR Robertson 2/163, GS Blewett 1/65, ME Waugh 1/77 Australia 2nd Innings 181 MA Taylor 45, IA Healy 38, SR Waugh 33 A Kumble 5/62, J Srinath 3/44, RK Chauhan 1/42 Captains: MA Taylor, M Azharuddin Toss: Australia Umpires: K Parathasarathy, BC Cooray
This is the match i guess I was talking about.

Re: Dravid Is India's New Spin Coach in 01 i think in the last test in Chennai that Khan and Ganguly opened the bowling. But seriously you wont call that opening the bowling it was just a few overs to take the shine out i remember. Doubt if Ganguly bowled more that 6-7 overs in the entire match. That was some series though. India played Srinath, Agarkar, Khan and Prasad with only Khan getting two tests.