Two all-rounders

agarkar, anyone? he was beyond stats, and there is no point citing cricinfo. i rely on expert opinion he could bowl a mean spell, and never let me down, even in the recent ipl (over 18, and he goes dot dot dot dot, and then predictably 4 4) and every commentator i have heard has always said 'that he weilds the willow well' ' can use the long handle' 'is no mug with the bat' ' only to be let down by the spooned drive to extra cover.

^^ Good list there Shwetabh. A few I would wanna add. South Africa: Mike Procter Aubrey Faulkner West Indies: Learie Constantine (forget the stats, one of the description for Kapil Dev was modern day Constantine, and thats enough for me) England: Monty Noble Probably the most underrated in that list is Vinoo Mankad, even by Indians. It is amazing how little he is credited with although his record is very stellar, specially if you consider India was way in its infancy at the time.
I didn't count Mike Procter for the simple reason he did not play enough test matches - I am always wary of judging people purely on FC statistics and reading through accounts on him I have little doubt that he was extremely talented, but international test cricket can do funny things to a lot of people. I had never heard of Faulkner before and looked up his stats and cricinfo page after your post. Sounds pretty impressive specially given how weak South Africa were during those days. Monty Noble - have read about him fleetingly in a few books. But again, nothing substantial to form a judgment on. Constantine - the only mentions I have read about him are when people are talking about the Headley era of the West Indies and he is mentioned as an afterthought (can't blame the writers for Headley was such an awe inspiring figure). If you could recommend something on these guys, I'll try my best to get my hands on it. I find it really sad that if it were not for statsguru half the Indian cricket fans would not have even heard about Mankad, or maybe heard about him as much as I have heard about Monty Noble. He always makes my all time India XI at number 6 as our batting allrounder, followed by Kapil at 7. Guha's writings on him are more than worth a read. His averages are of course not going to match up to the modern day because he was part of such a poor Indian side, but I am willing to bet any team in the world would still take someone averaging 30 with both bat and ball even today - discounting the fact they would be better in a stronger side.