Has there been a GREATER bowler than GD Mcgrath ?

Now look closely. Wasim Akram = 104 Test = 181 innings= 414 tests = 2.287 wickets/innings bowled in McGrath = 124 Test = 243 innings = 563 wickets = 2.316 wickets/innings bowled in Whoopee doo thats a statistical difference of 0.029 wickets per innings!! A glorious case of 3 extra wickets every 100 innings bowled?? So much so for Mcgrath taking wickets and Wasim struggling yada yada. I hope you will now see how little stats can show. Using flat pitch argument is redudant for someone who is yet to make a case for why Mcgrath was better. You have clearly not seen Marshall in action and it beggars explanation that instead of trying to know about him you are on a one-track-mode of why Mcgrath was better. I repeat what I said in one of my earlier post - Now lets try to do it the correct way and show me how was McGrath a better bowler than Marshall?? Was he faster? Had better control? Were his bouncers more feared? Were his leg cutters more deadly? Or could he reverse swing it at 90 mph? Give me some pointers that I can hook onto. Go right ahead. xxx
Sure, not only a far better team, Mcgrath also add far better bowlers for company and just about got his share of overs. Wasim was the spearhead of his team for a long time during which he also captained, surely he could have ended up with more wickets than he has and subsequently a better WPI count , if he was so good. Calling the flat pitch arguement redundant is just your way of ducking a fact that you can't deny. Can you ? Like I said earlier, your arguments are all going in tangents. A fast bowlers greatness goes well beyond his " phastness ". Thompson was faster than Lillee and bowled more fearsome bouncers, while Lillee had more control and bowled a better legcutter ( YOUR own stated 4 criteria) , so does that make them equally good ? Really are you even arguing that Mcgrath has any peers in control ? In a batsman dominated era Mcgrath with just .7 greater average has taken almost 200 more wickets than Marshall. I rest my case.

nah, i dont think he was the greatest bowler ever, great bowler but not the best, his strength was his accuracy and consistency, a bit boring from time to time but still effective, warne without doubt is the greatest bowler, sidhu and tendu were quite harsh on him but warne id rate higher as a bowler , murali is not too far behind. as comparison with wasim, if wasim was pakistans mcgrath he would have never gotten as as many wickets he eventually had gotten, considering pitches, fielding, weather, etc id say glenn was a better new bowler than wasim, but batsmen would be more intimidated while facing the marshalls, akrams, thompson, waqar etc...

nah, i dont think he was the greatest bowler ever, great bowler but not the best, his strength was his accuracy and consistency, a bit boring from time to time but still effective, warne without doubt is the greatest bowler, sidhu and tendu were quite harsh on him but warne id rate higher as a bowler , murali is not too far behind. as comparison with wasim, if wasim was pakistans mcgrath he would have never gotten as as many wickets he eventually had gotten, considering pitches, fielding, weather, etc id say glenn was a better new bowler than wasim, but batsmen would be more intimidated while facing the marshalls, akrams, thompson, waqar etc...
accuracy and consistency is boring? let me be very clear, he did not get wickets because he was merely accurate, mcgrath earned his wickets thanks to considerable variable. his away swinger from the left handed batsman was the death keel on mark butcher flagellating career... to the right handed batsmen, he would pitch the ball outside off, a good foot or so, and get it to nip back half way to the stumps, drawing the batsman out into a shot: this delivery earned him the wicket of sachin tendulkar on numerous occassions, in particular the world cup in 99 and in 2003, and there is little argument that there has not been a better batsman against pace or spin or whatever you might throw at him since bradman... this whole business of intimidation is seriously overrated. these batsmen are not lollipop sucking, kindergarten bound, gully cricketers... they are serious professionals and some of them have absolute fire in their bellies. not once was tendulkar intimidated by any mother lover... or for that fact men such as darrel cullinan, gary kirsten, sanath jayasuriya, mike artherton, or brian lara...

Here's some further food for thought, if the argument is about "flat pitches" then surely Wasim has that one in his favor bowling for most of his career on the flat pitches of Pakistan where incidentally Mcgrath struggled the most, Mcgrath's worst average in any country is in Pakistan. Mcgrath also had the good luck of being in the side with the best batsmen against fast bowling and thus never had to bowl against them. Most fast bowlers have their worst record against Australia not India.

Here's some further food for thought' date=' if the argument is about "flat pitches" then surely Wasim has that one in his favor bowling for most of his career on the flat pitches of Pakistan where incidentally Mcgrath struggled the most, Mcgrath's worst average in any country is in Pakistan. Mcgrath also had the good luck of being in the side with the best batsmen against fast bowling and thus never had to bowl against them. Most fast bowlers have their worst record against Australia not India.[/quote'] But Glenn Mcgrath has a much better record on Indian " flat pitches" compared to Akram :winky:. Also wrt to Akram's record on Pakistan's pitches, Kapil Dev, Srinath and Chaminda Vaas, all also have a far better records ( avg of 26 compared to career avg of 29) on their "home flat tracks" than juicy grassy pitches elsewhere, so its just a matter of getting used to home conditions.
But Glenn Mcgrath has a much better record on Indian " flat pitches" compared to Akram :winky:. Also wrt to Akram's record on Pakistan's pitches, Kapil Dev, Srinath and Chaminda Vaas, all also have a far better records ( avg of 26 compared to career avg of 29) on their "home flat tracks" than juicy grassy pitches elsewhere, so its just a matter of getting used to home conditions.
Imran, Waqar, and Akram also have better home records.