SRK Detained and Humiliated at Newark Airport

Rajiv

seedhi, would you be offended if all folks with your last name are deemed terrorists and if you are pulled up for let's say just an hour extra every time you went via immigration or went through airport security on the basis of your last name? I know I would. If your answer is no, I can understand your position about the SRK situation.

This is simply racial profiling. There's no randomness about it as flamy as also cited a personal experience of how both his friend and him were randomly picked. It happens to a lot of people and it isnt pleasant; one basically has to be brown and the random trigger gets itchy somehow. For someone who's minding their business, this can be quite embarrassing as all the other people start looking at you. The officers, in most of these cases, are jack----. Atleast this incident will raise some awareness.

WOW! I must say either you are pretty ignorant of the way Airport Security works or you are just trying to be argumentative. How does a TSA compare with terrorists entering India and escaping abroad??? You are not comparing TSA to BSF now' date=' are you?[/quote']Pray tell me, how did the Memon brothers flee India after the Mumbai 1993 blasts? How and where did the RDX consignment land in Mumbai (right under the nose of the customs agents). Terrorists have been known to use the Samjhauta Express for smuggling drugs and heroin. Please disabuse yourself of the notion that the Indian immigration and customs services are fool proof.
Totally disagree. Indians suffer the flake lot more than say Brazil simply because latter does not have any "Khan" surname, or for that matter a German or an Aussie. So your argument does not hold water. And didn't Brazil resort to start finger printing Americans when Americans started doing this nonsense post 911? What happened? Suddenly Americans were up in arms with a "It is discriminatory", "It takes forever", "invasion on privacy" etc etc. I would be happy to dig some links if you insist.
That is because the terrorists that attacked USA were Muslim. Al Qaeda is composed of Muslims. London, Madrid, Mumbai - all these places have been attacked by Muslim terrorists. It is only logical that people having similar names would be subject to extra checks. May I ask you - do you not agree that people from Pakistan should be subject to extra checks in India? I would imagine that British citizens of pakistani origin are also subjected to extra checks in USA. German Muslims, British Muslims, French Muslims are also subject to extra checks. As far as what Brazil did, I am IN FAVOR of a similar system implemented by India as the US immigration - at all our airports, sea ports etc. Finger printing, photos and all.
Answered it already. yes Indians are treated shoddily. Shahrukh Khan, Azim Premji both luminaries were maltreated. Not to mention Abul Kalaam was treated within India!! Pray do tell me when was Gerard Depardieu mistreated at JFK, or Jazque Chiraq in France? And pray do tell me if Frenchmen would not be kicking Americans at every possible mention.
SRK and Aziz Premji were checked because of their names - why dont you understand this simple fact that USA faces maximum terrorist threat from Islamic terrorists? As far as APJ Kalam - he was detained on Indian soil - which is WRONG as within India he is exempt from checks according to protocol. It is noteworthy though that APJ Kalam did not raise a hue and cry about it. Was he also hankering after a US Green card according to your perverted logic?
An average India takes the shoddy treatment for reasons I have mentioned above. SRK made it a public embarassment for Americans, as it should be. By the way most American newsmedia has covered this and most Americans have supported SRK's cause. It is only certain Indians, specially those with anti-Muslim bias that will kowtow to Americans. And of course then they talk of servile atitude :giggle: xxx
OK, so APJ Kalam did not raise a stink like SRK, because APJ Kalam is servile to the west? Or can it be that Kalam does not have a bloated ego like SRK. I think it is the latter. Yes, definitely.

seedhi, would you be offended if all folks with your last name are deemed terrorists and if you are pulled up for let's say just an hour extra every time you went via immigration or went through airport security on the basis of your last name? I know I would. If your answer is no, I can understand your position about the SRK situation.
You should understand that what is happening is not taking place in a vacuum. It is a fact that USA faces an Islamic terror threat. Just like India does. A pakistani would be subject to extra checks in an Indian airport. Similarly, a muslim would be subject to extra checks at a US airport. Secondly, these extra checks do not take more than a couple of hours. At the end of which people are duly allowed to leave. I am no muslim, but I was also detained once in Atlanta. Yes its frustrating, but having lived in US for 5 years I have come to realize that if nothing is amiss then no one is going to unnecessarily harass you.

Pray tell me, how did the Memon brothers flee India after the Mumbai 1993 blasts? How and where did the RDX consignment land in Mumbai (right under the nose of the customs agents). Terrorists have been known to use the Samjhauta Express for smuggling drugs and heroin. Please disabuse yourself of the notion that the Indian immigration and customs services are fool proof.
Wow!! What a cop out!! Comparison of SRK with Memon Brother is truly hilarious. Just as it is about RDX landing in Mumbai. Yes so Mumbai Police were sleeping and hence it gives TSA morons the right to hold SRK in an American Airport!! Even by bhagwa standard that is pretty loony. Please give me relevant comparisons so we can have a right discussion.
That is because the terrorists that attacked USA were Muslim. Al Qaeda is composed of Muslims. London, Madrid, Mumbai - all these places have been attacked by Muslim terrorists. It is only logical that people having similar names would be subject to extra checks.
So by that token you agree that Americans were hounding a MUSLIM NAMED PERSON. This has nothing to do with "Americans treat every Nationalities the same" raga you were singing moments back. See your hypocracy mate?
May I ask you - do you not agree that people from Pakistan should be subject to extra checks in India? I would imagine that British citizens of pakistani origin are also subjected to extra checks in USA. German Muslims, British Muslims, French Muslims are also subject to extra checks.
You are smart enough to realize India-Pakistan relationship is NOT remotely similar to India-United States relationship, is it?? Where in the world do you come up with these comparisons mate?
As far as what Brazil did, I am IN FAVOR of a similar system implemented by India as the US immigration - at all our airports, sea ports etc. Finger printing, photos and all.
Then lets do it instead of "suggesting" WHY Americans did it.
SRK and Aziz Premji were checked because of their names - why dont you understand this simple fact that USA faces maximum terrorist threat from Islamic terrorists?
So my surname matches a criminal and the cops hound me because of that? Are you really that much an American supporter than you do not realize how offending that is? By your logic the cops should go by the name of the person, and not his identity to catch him! Heck which criminal worth his salt would actually travel in his own name?? I would really want to meet such a top drawer criminal who has EVER been caught on an International Airport travelling with a passport in his name! Please feel free to point me towards the light here mate. xxxx

You should understand that what is happening is not taking place in a vacuum. It is a fact that USA faces an Islamic terror threat. Just like India does. A pakistani would be subject to extra checks in an Indian airport. Similarly, a muslim would be subject to extra checks at a US airport. Secondly, these extra checks do not take more than a couple of hours. At the end of which people are duly allowed to leave. I am no muslim, but I was also detained once in Atlanta. Yes its frustrating, but having lived in US for 5 years I have come to realize that if nothing is amiss then no one is going to unnecessarily harass you.
All valid arguments from a US security point of view. But, you didn't answer my question though.

By the way most American newsmedia has covered this and most Americans have supported SRK's cause.
Really' date=' have you done an opinion poll about this?
It is only certain Indians, specially those with anti-Muslim bias that will kowtow to Americans. And of course then they talk of servile atitude :giggle: xxx
So according to you Harbhajan Singh is servile to the west. And Salman Khan has an anti-muslim bias. And APJ Kalam did not speak up because he is hankering for a green card. Great logic.

Wow!! What a cop out!! Comparison of SRK with Memon Brother is truly hilarious. Just as it is about RDX landing in Mumbai. Yes so Mumbai Police were sleeping and hence it gives TSA morons the right to hold SRK in an American Airport!! Even by bhagwa standard that is pretty loony.
If the "TSA morons" have a right to hold any person for extra checks at the airport then they do have a right to hold SRK for extra checks at the airport.
So by that token you agree that Americans were hounding a MUSLIM NAMED PERSON. This has nothing to do with "Americans treat every Nationalities the same" raga you were singing moments back. See your hypocracy mate?
No' date=' you did not read my post. Even British, French or German muslims subjected to extra checks, so yes it is irrespective of nationality.
You are smart enough to realize India-Pakistan relationship is NOT remotely similar to India-United States relationship, is it?? Where in the world do you come up with these comparisons mate?
Oh really, how about British Pakistanis in India? Considering that the perpetrator of Mumbai 2006 train blasts is being sheltered by in Britain by people of pakistani origin. Considering that a Spaniards and Italians of Pakistani descent took part in the planning of 26/11 would you not subject Italian and Spanish muslims to extra checks in India?
Then lets do it instead of "suggesting" WHY Americans did it.
Yes lets.
So my surname matches a criminal and the cops hound me because of that? Are you really that much an American supporter than you do not realize how offending that is? By your logic the cops should go by the name of the person, and not his identity to catch him! Heck which criminal worth his salt would actually travel in his own name?? I would really want to meet such a top drawer criminal who has EVER been caught on an International Airport travelling with a passport in his name! Please feel free to point me towards the light here mate. xxxx
Let me ask you if you believe that a 66 minute wait in a lounge is "hounding". Was SRK thrown in jail? No! Let us suppose that a person named Masood Azhar walks into Delhi airport. Would Indian immigration agents not be justified in detaining him for 66 minutes to check if he is really the terrorist? Or should they just think that it is impossible that the real Masood Azhar would be traveling on his own name and let the person go?

SRK has been detained once out of all the trips he has made to the US. If my name ended in Khan and I made 10 trips to the US without any problem and on the 11th trip I was detained for 66 minutes and then let go, I would NOT raise a stink. Please give me an example of a person who is detained for one hour everytime he/she passes through US immigration.

SRK has been detained once out of all the trips he has made to the US. If my name ended in Khan and I made 10 trips to the US without any problem and on the 11th trip I was detained for 66 minutes and then let go, I would NOT raise a stink. Please give me an example of a person who is detained for one hour everytime he/she passes through US immigration.
So, you would have been ok if he raised a stink if he was stopped on his first visit?

By the way he claims this is not the first time it has happened to him. Ofc I am sure some of you guys would call him a liar. http://www.ndtv.com/news/world/shah_rukh_khan_detained_at_us_airport_for_2_hours.php
How many times has he been to the USA? And how many times has he been detained? Obviously, he was comfortable with the US immigration if he decided to come to the US this time.

How many times has he been to the USA? And how many times has he been detained? Obviously' date=' he was comfortable with the US immigration if he decided to come to the US this time.[/quote'] You are missing the bigger point here. The point here is not SRK or how many times he has visited, it is the principle of stopping people based on their last name assuming that they all belong to a terrorist clan. I refuse to believe that any self respecting individual would find it absolutely ok to be detained for no fault of theirs whether it is 1 in 100 or 1 in 10 or 10 out of 10. To give an example, I was stopped (only person in a long queue) at Hong Kong airport just before boarding the connecting flight to India. My wife suspected that it was because I was sporting a beard that trip. Needless to say we were both annoyed. I have no Islamic sounding name, but ofc with that look one could easily suspect me to be a Khan. BTW it took just 10 extra mins.

You are missing the bigger point here. The point here is not SRK or how many times he has visited, it is the principle of stopping people based on their last name assuming that they all belong to a terrorist clan. I refuse to believe that any self respecting individual would find it absolutely ok to be detained for no fault of theirs whether it is 1 in 100 or 1 in 10 or 10 out of 10.
Ok so, according to you - a pakistani man named Masood Azhar (who is not a terrorist) should absolutely be allowed to enter India from Delhi airport without any additional checks because his bearing that name is no fault of his. And an Egyptian man named Abu Musab Al Zarqawi (who is not a terrorist) should be allowed to enter the US at JFK airport without any additional check, because it only an unfortunate coincidence that he bears that name. You see, we live in a real world. The immigration agents are not clairvoyant, they need some time and effort to make sure someone is not a criminal.

Ok so, according to you - a pakistani man named Masood Azhar (who is not a terrorist) should absolutely be allowed to enter India from Delhi airport without any additional checks because his bearing that name is no fault of his. And an Egyptian man named Abu Musab Al Zarqawi (who is not a terrorist) should be allowed to enter the US at JFK airport without any additional check, because it only an unfortunate coincidence that he bears that name. You see, we live in a real world. The immigration agents are not clairvoyant, they need some time and effort to make sure someone is not a criminal.
So, is there is a well known terrorist by the name of Shah Rukh Khan from India? Please tell me there is one and I will buy your argument. You have ignored my statement (and others) about last name match. We are not asking them to ignore those with Full name + Country of Origin+ Finger Print + Photo + ... match. And I bet they miss those going after these SRK type stupid cases.

So' date=' is there is a well known terrorist by the name of Shah Rukh Khan from India? Please tell me there is one and I will buy your argument.[/quote']But you were arguing about people being detained for no fault of theirs - thats why I gave that example.
You have ignored my statement (and others) about last name match. We are not asking them to ignore those with Full name + Country of Origin+ Finger Print + Photo + ... match. And I bet they miss those going after these SRK type stupid cases.
It is very easy for you to sit here and make judgments about these matters. Whatever system they have - it has surely protected them from attacks after 9/11. Moreover, making people wait for an hour is hardly harassment. You can simply answer the following question - is India justified in subjecting pakistanis to extra checks at the airport or not. If your answer is yes then you would have found the answer to whether US is justified in subjecting people with muslim names to extra checks.

But you were arguing about people being detained for no fault of theirs - thats why I gave that example. It is very easy for you to sit here and make judgments about these matters. Whatever system they have - it has surely protected them from attacks after 9/11. Moreover, making people wait for an hour is hardly harassment. You can simply answer the following question - is India justified in subjecting pakistanis to extra checks at the airport or not. If your answer is yes then you would have found the answer to whether US is justified in subjecting people with muslim names to extra checks.
You cannot discriminate a person based on race, religion, country of origin, sex, ... These should apply no matter where and everywhere, not just in job applications, but in all walks of life, otherwise all the high and mighty talk about democracy and liberty and freedom means nothing. This includes Indians checking all Pakistanis en masse, Israel checking all Palestinians en masse and the US selectively stopping people with Islamic sounding names. And this absurdity doesn't stop just here. One stupid shoe bomber shows up and everyone going through US security check for the past god knows how many years or so has to remove their shoes. How much more stupid can you get?

You cannot discriminate a person based on race' date=' religion, country of origin, sex, ... These should apply no matter where and everywhere, not just in job applications, but in all walks of life, otherwise all the high and mighty talk about democracy and liberty and freedom means nothing. This includes [b']Indians checking all Pakistanis en masse, Israel checking all Palestinians en masse and the US selectively stopping people with Islamic sounding names. And this absurdity doesn't stop just here. One stupid shoe bomber shows up and everyone going through US security check for the past god knows how many years or so has to remove their shoes. How much more stupid can you get?
All I can say is that I am glad that you are not in charge of security in India. I suppose according to you the IB is also foolish in trying to keep tabs on every pakistani visitor to India. India should also provide visas to pakistanis as easily as (lets say) to Americans. Really, this takes the cake.

All I can say is that I am glad that you are not in charge of security in India. I suppose according to you the IB is also foolish in trying to keep tabs on every pakistani visitor to India. India should also provide visas to pakistanis as easily as (lets say) to Americans. Really' date=' this takes the cake.[/quote'] First of all your comparison of Paks and Khans is not valid, I gave you my answer based on non-discrimination. If Indian govt has intelligence that ANY pakistani is a threat to the country they should be allowed to stop ALL of them. Same way, if US has intelligence that any Khan is a threat to the country they should be allowed to stop ALL Khans.