Sachin the greatest ever sportsperson in Asia: Srinath

Feed

Invalid comparison. The popularity of cricket is not only in terms of fans but also players. I don't think sports like badminton,squash,blah blah have nearly as many aspiring players as cricket. In terms of world sport, soccer is the only one that is without doubt more popular. Basketball and tennis are the only other ones I can think of that come close. American football/rugby/hockey would be next I guess.
It doesnt matter how many players play squash. What really matters is how much training, dedication, natural skill, athletic ability and luck does one require to become an international player in some sport (and then actually go ahead and dominate it). Given the gruelling training schedules that squash players go through, and the artistry that's required to execute so many of the squash shots, it's no less than most of the other sports. Of course one can ask what if some 6.5 foot guys with amazing flexibility and endurance started playing squash, wouldnt they dominate. Tell me one sport where this isnt true. If tomorrow a 6.5 guy took to some serious practice and starts bowling in 160s, which batsman of today would be able to master his bowling?
It doesnt matter how many players play squash. What really matters is how much training, dedication, natural skill, athletic ability and luck does one require to become an international player in some sport (and then actually go ahead and dominate it).
Lol it does. And very much so. Or else I can invent a new game which requires a lot of skill and become the international champion because me and my friends are the only ones that play it. Also, there is no public pressure on squash players because no one in their own country gives a **** about them.
Of course one can ask what if some 6.5 foot guys with amazing flexibility and endurance started playing squash, wouldnt they dominate. Tell me one sport where this isnt true. If tomorrow a 6.5 guy took to some serious practice and starts bowling in 160s, which batsman of today would be able to master his bowling?
I don't think thats a question which can be answered by speculation but Ambrose,Walsh,McGrath were all 6'5, weren't they ? So you think no 6'5'' player in South Africa,Australia,WI, England has ever thought of bowling seriously ? How many can go above 160 without breaking down ?

PK, No one is talking about a local sport here, every sport that has been mentioned is played by millions of people across the globe. To say who is the greatest sportsman of all time we first have to define what does "the greatest sportsman" really mean. If you have a definition please say it and then we can have an informed discussion.

Lol it does. And very much so. Or else I can invent a new game which requires a lot of skill and become the international champion because me and my friends are the only ones that play it.
You can very much invent a game that requires a lot of skill and win it. But the question is have you got those skills? And if you watch a squash game you will know that the guys have got some serious skills, which a beginner will require years and years of learning (and still not get them).
Lol it does. And very much so. Or else I can invent a new game which requires a lot of skill and become the international champion because me and my friends are the only ones that play it. Also, there is no public pressure on squash players because no one in their own country gives a **** about them. I don't think thats a question which can be answered by speculation but Ambrose, Walsh, McGrath were all 6'5, weren't they ? So you think no 6'5'' player in South Africa,Australia,WI, England has ever thought of bowling seriously ? How many can go above 160 without breaking down ?
They were all 6'5'' but none bowled in 160s. Also, I am not saying that no 6'5'' ever tried bowling fast, I am just saying if somebody like that turns up, most of the modern day batsmen will struggle against him. Maybe that was a poor example. I need to think more on this.