Time to constrict tests to major centres in India?

sm332

Just watching the feed and it seems like the a test between two top nations is being watched by 2 security guards and a dog? This almost feels like a middle of the road Ranji game. Is it time we limited tests to the top 5-6 cricketing centres in India where there may be enough interest in test matches? I am thinking Mumbai, Blore, Chennai, and maybe Delhi. Thoughts?

Just watching the feed and it seems like the a test between two top nations is being watched by 2 security guards and a dog? This almost feels like a middle of the road Ranji game. Is it time we limited tests to the top 5-6 cricketing centres in India where there may be enough interest in test matches? I am thinking Mumbai, Blore, Chennai, and maybe Delhi. Thoughts?
Ahem, what about Kolkata? It has the largest stadium in the country capacity-wise and is always well attended. It's not the location that's the only factor. It is dead pitches that is killing test cricket. Not only in India but Pakistan and the West Indies too, look at the recent Eng-WI series.

I am not worried about killing test cricket -- i think there is enough of an audience TV wise for it sustain itself. But it makes for a piss poor atmosphere if no one is in attendance. As far as Kolkatta goes - I will never forgive a crowd which has lit the stadium on fire what 2-3 times, cursed the Indian team because the local hero wasnt included in the team. I am sure a full Eden Gardens makes for a great spectacle. Unfortunately, the bhadralok gang is about as parochial as they come in India.

I am not worried about killing test cricket -- i think there is enough of an audience TV wise for it sustain itself. But it makes for a piss poor atmosphere if no one is in attendance. As far as Kolkatta goes - I will never forgive a crowd which has lit the stadium on fire what 2-3 times, cursed the Indian team because the local hero wasnt included in the team. I am sure a full Eden Gardens makes for a great spectacle. Unfortunately, the bhadralok gang is about as parochial as they come in India.
Thankfully the BCCI doesn't share you views and Eden Gardens will be hosting matches again soon.
Thankfully the BCCI doesn't share you views and Eden Gardens will be hosting matches again soon.
Hopefully - the Eden Gardens patron behave themselves and dont cuss the team out - set the stands on fire and generally behave disgracefully. I believe Eden Gardens has been out of rotation specifically for that reason - hopefully they will enjoy the cricket like civil people.
It is also very strange timing to set up a test between Monday and Friday. Wouldn't a weekend start have made more sense from an attendance standpoint?
no disagreement there -- but then again we are talking BCCI - planning and looking forward are not part of the lexicon. In any case - no responses on the limiting the test centres. So non-starter idea?
I just saw the camera pan and there are huge tracts of empty stands - the stadium seems 75-80% empty. If I am wrong please correct me.
First DAy it was 60% full after morning session probably because India was batting. Not sure about second day. Right now Third Morning. I see lot of noise, so should be atleast some crowd. Its not the center, its the pitch. Who wants to watch draws.
no disagreement there -- but then again we are talking BCCI - planning and looking forward are not part of the lexicon. In any case - no responses on the limiting the test centres. So non-starter idea?
I don't think it will work and does not make sense. If they can product good sporting pitches, crowd will automatically come.

I certainly wouldn't mind a limitation on the centres, but with restrictions taking the playing surfaces into account as well. Delhi and Mohali usually produce some good surfaces. We need to see more tests at Chennai. Ditch some of the perpetual flatbeds as well. (Maybe drop Bangalore out entirely, given our crap record at the Chinnaswamy too :winky: )

First DAy it was 60% full after morning session probably because India was batting. Not sure about second day. Right now Third Morning. I see lot of noise, so should be atleast some crowd. Its not the center, its the pitch. Who wants to watch draws.
yeah - unfortunately Motera has a history of patta's although the last game had one session of complete chaos followed by a sleepfest. I am not sure why the curators cant get their act together. Kabira - is it fair to say that folks in India wait to see the daily status of the game prior to committing to tickets?
???? wat ru taliking about there've been good crowds and a good atmosphere in this test match
???? wat ru taliking about there've been good crowds and a good atmosphere in this test match
if you read my preamble you would see what I wrote. Large tracts of the stadium are completely empty - seems 75-80% empty. But yes - when I turn the vol one it does seem that there is noise emanating from the sparesly populated stands.
I just saw the camera pan and there are huge tracts of empty stands - the stadium seems 75-80% empty. If I am wrong please correct me.
I think you saw early in the morning. The stands are filling up as the day progresses. There was good crowd on day 1. There will be again a decent crowd when India bats again.

Is this wicket really as flat as it is being made out to be? We have had 7 sessions so far and the teams are almost on an even keel. With 8 more sessions left, this could turn out to be a classic test match. AT this stage all 3 results are very easily possible. Lanka bowl well in the 2nd innings, they have an upper hand, we bat well , scales will be tilted in our favour. At one stage, we were at 375/5 ( which became 381/6 when dhoni got out), so we must back ourselves to limit Lanka to 430-440 or max 450 from here on. Then bat well ( and hope viru can stay at the wicket for 35-40 overs) and score some runs quickly, set lanka a target of around 350 on the last day and on a wicket with some turn and bounce (not slow turn), we should back ourselves to get the lankans all out by the last session of the last day. Too many IFs there, but doesnt sound impossible.