Govt to probe Mumbai sealink leak

gs

There goes the pride of modern Indian infrastructure :(( Govt to probe Mumbai sealink leak

Chief Minister Ashok Chavan on Monday asked for details of the report on the Bandra-Worli sealink that states that it has developed leakages and cracks, a day after Hindustan Times published the report. The government has decided to inquire into the matter. “I have asked for proper information on the issue and I’ll let you know as to what will be done,†Chavan told HT when asked what steps the state plans to take to ensure the safety of the 25,000 motorists who use the sealink every day. Chavan has asked for details from the public works department and the Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation. In its September progress report, Dar Consultants, the project designers and consultants for the sealink, said there are leaks on the surface and that the bitumen used to smoothen the road is cracking. Both Deputy Chief Minister Chaggan Bhujbal, who heads the PWD, and Jaydutt Kshirsagar, the minister in charge of the MSRDC, said they will inquire into the matter. Structural engineers are unanimous in their opinion that prolonged leakage would affect a construction’s structural stability. “The bridge should not leak as subsequent corrosion can cause problems. But timely intervention can help maintain its structural stability,†senior structural engineer Shirish Patel said. Hindustan Construction Company, which has built the bridge, released a statement on Monday that said: “HCC categorically states that the sealink is structurally safe and sound and emphatically denies any crack in the bridge structure.â€

Why don't we simply allow German, French and anyone else capable engineers to build these things? We obviously have no capability for any infrastructure projects.

Why don't we simply allow German' date=' French and anyone else capable engineers to build these things? We obviously have no capability for any infrastructure projects.[/quote'] It is not that we are incapable. Yes we might not be the best at infrastructure projects but Indian engineers have overseen many big projects throughout the world and are capable of doing it for sure. The problem in India is that most projects do not get the actual funds due to corruption. I will tell you how it normally works. Govt. gives tender for most public projects. And then there is bidding and inside corruption etc. after which the tender and the project is given to a particular contractor or set of contractors. After that the contract who are also one of the most corrupt individuals and as much scum of earth as politicians just use a fraction of the money for the project actually and eat up the rest of the money along with govt. officers, politicians etc. For example, if a contractor gets a tender of 1 crore from the govt., then he actually just invests 30 lakhs or so in the project. Rest he would keep around 20-30 lakhs for himself and rest of the money would be divided amongst the govt. officers who got him the contract/tender and the ministers, IAS officers, engineers (sometimes) and other people involved in the corrupt process. So, ultimately in India most infrastucture projects of the govt. get only 30% of the allocated funds actually utilized in the project and rest all are wasted. Hence, they compromise with the quality to make their own money. I am not sure about the Bandra-Worli sea link but most govt. initiated infrastructure projects in India work that way. At least I am sure for most normal roads in India.