Friendship gone awry- Clarke & Symmo no longer pals

achilles

I came across this while google searching for Andrew Symonds while posting my first thread- http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?p=901123#post901123 As much I am sure everyone had some kind of ill-feelings for Symmo after his famous bust-up with Bhajji, I, for one, am extremely saddened to see Andrew no longer on talking terms with his best mate. Their friendship was one of high-points of Aussie cricket and having a pal with you in your team is one of the best things for you as you always know that someone has your back at all times. Unfortunately, things didn't work out and now, its out in the open: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/pups-not-my-mate-symonds/story-e6frf9if-1225812135906 FORMER Test all-rounder Andrew Symonds has revealed his friendship with Michael Clarke is over in the wake of his tumultuous exit from Australian cricket. As he begins a new life without the pressures of top-level cricket, Symonds said he and Clarke had "gone our separate ways" and were no longer on speaking terms. And the Queenslander lamented the loss of characters in cricket, saying Australia's elite players had lost touch with the fans because they were too concerned with maintaining an image. Clarke and Symonds had forged one of the strongest bonds in the national team after going bush for a month following Australia's tour of Bangladesh in 2006. But cracks in the mateship appeared last year, when Clarke was part of the leadership group which agreed to send Symonds home for going fishing during a training camp in Darwin. Symonds is now a liberated soul. Last week, he returned to Australia after a promotional trip to Papua New Guinea. In eight days, he will don the Queensland colours for a Twenty20 Big Bash showdown with Victoria. But after having his $500,000 Cricket Australia contract torn up in June, the 34-year-old admits there is another casualty - his friendship with the vice-captain. "I haven't talked to Michael for a long time," said Symonds, who visited Papua New Guinea to promote cricket with former Test bowlers Michael Kasprowicz, Andy Bichel and Greg Matthews. I wouldn't know what he's up to." Asked if he was still mates with Clarke, he said: "No, I'm not. A lot of people have asked me what Michael is like. The way he is being portrayed is interesting because people are asking me a lot about him. I don't know the answer. I'm not in the inner circle anymore. I'd be guessing if I answered that." Clarke declined to comment publicly yesterday but said he made a series of attempts to repair his relationship with Symonds, including pushing for his recall to the Australian side for the one-day series against Pakistan in Dubai in April. Sources confirmed the pair's friendship began to sour in April last year, when Symonds was asked to leave his engagement party after a row with guests. Despite their contrasting backgrounds, Clarke, a self-confessed city slicker, and Symonds, a bushie at heart, hit it off during a road trip around Australia three years ago. The pair attended former Test batsman Damien Martyn's wedding in Western Australia. They later flew to Sydney, hired a camper van for a trip to Brisbane and hung out in Newcastle, Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour and Byron Bay. When Symonds took Clarke to a bush property outside of Ingham in Queensland, it was Clarke's first taste of the outback and he recalled it as the trip that altered his perspective on life. "Both Symo and I had things on our chest that only close friends talk about," Clarke once said. "It gave us that time as mates to talk, whether it was good, bad or personal stuff. We lived with each other for a few weeks and it was a really great time away from cricket for me." Symonds says part of their breakdown can be traced to the "Gone Fishing" affair. But just as significant is the different paths their lives are taking. While Clarke is busy playing cricket, Symonds is settled on the Gold Coast and no longer entrenched in Australian cricket. "It was a number of things," Symonds says. "I guess we just didn't pan out like we would have or should have. I haven't heard from him. We've gone our separate ways and that's the way it has stayed. That's all right, though." Symonds said the health of Test cricket in Australia was suffering due to a dearth of personalities. "They (Cricket Australia) can't rely on great players now (to attract crowds) ... isn't there a big mob of marketing people working out there?" he mused. "Players are very stiff now on what they can say. They are very calculating on how they answer their questions and I think the public would appreciate seeing some characters and players who are being honest with their answers, rather than giving some stereotypical answer. "They want to see some free spirits. Whether we will get that, I don't know. A lot of players worry about what is written about them, rather than giving an honest answer. "I think people would appreciate some honesty (rather) than a yes sir, no sir, three bags full sort of thing. If you have an opinion, as long as it's not poisonous you should be able to give it. Don't sugarcoat things when the public know what's going on." Symonds said his trip to Papua New Guinea was an unforgettable experience. "The kids were beautiful, they were just full of life," he said. "It was refreshing to see kids have fun with a stick and a rock. I'm really happy. I don't have to worry about answering to anyone or being on time or wearing this uniform or that uniform. It's just freedom for me. "I enjoy being at home and spending time with people I want to and doing the things I want to do at my own pace."