Rationing

Aqua

You are a doctor working on secondment in charge of a local hospital in rural Nigeria. The medical facilities are poor, particularly supplies of medicines and blood. A bus leaving town has collided with a tourist vehicle. Apart from several fatalities there are four seriously injured survivors. Two are local children (both age 2), one is an elderly leader of a local tribe and the fourth is a German tourist. They all have the same blood group and need transfusions. There is only enough blood for two patients. What will you do? And who will you survive?

Re: Rationing more better, if u r a jew, take the remaining blood from the german tourist and give it to the elderly... if u r not, choose between the elderly and the german... bingo, i saved 3 lives with 2 bottles of blood.... :wtg:

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Rationing

more better' date=' if u r a jew, take the remaining blood from the german tourist and give it to the elderly... if u r not, choose between the elderly and the german... bingo, i saved 3 lives with 2 bottles of blood.... :wtg:[/quote'] hahaha

Re: Rationing These kind of ethical questions are often put to doctors at meetings, etc. The answer has to be: I'd give the blood to the person with the best chance of survival. Say, the two babies have a 20% chance of surviving, and the German fellow has a 60% chance with the blood tranfusion, you should give the blood to the German tourist. This is not just something pulled out from the air. Various national armies impart training to their recruits on these lines. For eg, in the British army, in simulation models, recruits are asked to walk down a casualty area and assess who they are going to save and who should be allowed to die. The seriously wounded would be allowed to lie there and die, while the less seriously wounded would be salvaged. Similar dictums would prevail if there was a pandemic outbreak of flu, for example, and you could only put a few people in limited Intensive Care beds.

You are a doctor working on secondment in charge of a local hospital in rural Nigeria. The medical facilities are poor, particularly supplies of medicines and blood. A bus leaving town has collided with a tourist vehicle. Apart from several fatalities there are four seriously injured survivors. Two are local children (both age 2), one is an elderly leader of a local tribe and the fourth is a German tourist. They all have the same blood group and need transfusions. There is only enough blood for two patients. What will you do? And who will you survive?
I would keep the blood i already have at my disposal, and then extract whatever blood is remaining in those other patients. I would then take all that collected blood and eventually sell it to some shark-hunters (who will use it as bait for luring Great Whites) and then i would demand a cut of 10% for every catch they make. This will enable me to make a reasonable profit. Being the nice guy that i am, I'd use 1/10th of that cash settlement to pay for the funerals of the 4 dead patients, and use the rest to pay off my student loans. It's a win-win situation for all - the ailing patients have been put out of their misery and i have contributed to honoring their memory whilst making a little extra dough on the side.

Re: Rationing gator.. these kinda situations are practically an everyday situation for those docs there... and the international relationship was just a suggestion... And dhondy, this is asuming that all have the same probability of survival considering they get the blood... But good reasoning :wtg: lol @ predator... but i would definitely not come to you for :help: thats a definite no - no...

it doesnt matter k!!!
cough cough!!! ahem.... i am the doc in this situation.. and if the german tourist is a hot woman, i would suck the remaining blood out of everyone, pump it all into her, and go out for dinner together.....;) if it is an ugly white guy, rest assured, all the 3 natives willl survive....

Re: Rationing okay, lets make some alterations in the situation, shall we... old man - your father tourist - your spouse (husband or wife) the two 2 yr old kids - your kids (in the future if you dont have any now...) Now who will you survive? In other words, who will you kill? Taking into consideration that only two can survive and the probability of survival is equal for all...

Re: Rationing now the question becomes interesting....it will definitely be my father and wife.... one held my hand and taught me to walk, the other who will hold my hand when i cant walk anymore.... kids are secondary to me, compared to dad and wife... maybe illogical because, we dont have any kids yet...

now the question becomes interesting....it will definitely be my father and wife.... one held my hand and taught me to walk, the other who will hold my hand when i cant walk anymore.... kids are secondary to me, compared to dad and wife... maybe illogical because, we dont have any kids yet...
Oh, how you delude yourself, Gator! You'll willingly exchange their and your life as well for that kiddo, when she/he comes around. I know...sounds rubbish now. But it ain't.

Re: Rationing i was right about you being a fantastic dad, wasnt i??? ;) But Dhonds, in our culture, Dad is like a God(though i lost mine a few yrs back) and if you cant protect your wife, you are not a Man.... Kids definitely will come next for me... I would give up on having any kids for the rest of my life, if it will make my Dad come back...

Re: Rationing and when you save your wife, the next thing she will ask when she comes arnd will be 'you had a choice and you killed my kids!!!' logically speaking, dad shd be last in line, he's lived his life to the fullest... but then i only have a dad now so he would definitely live... long live my dad!!