Anticipated Milestones - Tests

Guest BossBhai

Test match batting does require urgency too, Boss. How do you think Steve Waugh's Australia eked out win after win on those flat Adelaide, Sydney and Hobart pitches for the best part of a decade? They were like 4x400 relay runners, doing over the length of a lap what ordinary people would aspire to do over 100 m (read ODIs), never letting the pace flag, never dropping the baton...from Haydos to Langer to Ponting to Mark to Steve to Gilly...end of day's play 375 for 4, by lunch next day 500 for 6, slam bam thank you ma'm, next Test please. India never dreamt of playing cricket like that....until Sehwag came along. Then, as he flowered, boomed and spread like a Rafflesia in the rainforest, others timidly poked their heads over the parapet and thought, "Hey, I can do this too...why don't I try?" Sehwag it was who has been Gambhir's inspiration, responsible for his renaissance, it was Sehwag's brute confidence that led to Tendulkar Mark II, eschewing the hook shot, every pore breathing the belief that if the pupil could do it, so could the guru, Sehwag too who steeled Dada's resolve to realise his own attacking potential without compromising his wicket, and much later, Dhoni, watching from the rusty suburban cricket grounds of southern Bihar, dreamt dreams of batting like that one day. None of them would admit it, but the urgency grew from a seed planted by Viru, only being the simple Jat that he is, he wouldn't dream of laying claims to being a pioneer of sorts.
the first part is bang on but I disagree with the last para. Gambhir sure, Sehwag could have a lot to do wth him. But Sehwag responsible for Tendulkar Mark II? I don't think so. Tendulkar's recovered from his elbow and shoulder injuries, and that's freed him up a bit. Second, Sehwag doesn't hook...in fact he's pretty bad at it. He'll flick and pull the occasional half trekker but very rarely will he hook. Dada came back on his own terms and played like he used to play in the 90s. His determination is a testament to him only and it's not fair to give Sehwag credit for it. One thing Sehwag has done for sure, as you've already mentioned before, is to make India a huge threat in both tests and one dayers with his ferocious batting. When he goes off, it makes it easier for the rest of the batsmen to relax and bat without pressure. I definitely agree and commend Sehwag for this. But to give him credit for reviving Tendulkar's and Dada's career in a sense is a bit OTT.
There will come a day when he may probably do self ownage :--D
sehwag doing self ownage is unthinkable:--D in 2009, sehwag avged 45 in odis with a strike-rate of 136.59 :yikes: and that odi strike-rate of 136.59 is good enough to own many players in 20/20. heres the list of players who had a 20/20 strike-rate less than 136.59 in 20/20 in 2009 and whom sehwag has owned there - http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=3;filter=advanced;orderby=batting_strike_rate;qualmax2=1.3659;qualmin1=75;qualmin2=0;qualval1=runs;qualval2=batting_strike_rate;spanmax1=31+Dec+2009;spanmin1=01+Jan+2009;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting even that list contains explosive players like gayle, ross taylor, jayasurya, mccullum & many more:winky::D sehwag is a phenomenal player even in odis