Anticipated Milestones - Tests

Guest BossBhai

Boss, comparisons between Tests and ODIs are like comparing Formula 1 to Go-karting, or Champion's League football to Aussie Rules. It just doesn't register. For me, it's sufficient that Sehwag scores at least 25% faster than the very best batsmen currently weilding the willow- the best, as defined by pundits that is, Punter's decade and all that. For people who don't understand batting, and we all know who they are, it's like two bowlers averaging under 25- but one has a strike rate of 45, the other 60. You know which one you'd plump for, don't you? Sehwag wasn't even in the short list for decade leaders. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. He redefined batting, pulled India kicking and screaming from a number 7 side in the world to number one with his fearless approach, which others copied, spawned a whole generation of go-getter openers promoted from middle order like Dilshan and Watson, forced coaches to change their methods and focus on the still head at the point of delivery to footwork, de-glamorised the hook shot and made off-side play sexy again. It was Sehwag who abbreviated the careers of several fiery pacemen, namely Shoaib, Sami, Brett Lee and Kulasekara, and led to the names of Saqlain and Mendis to be banished from the statuette books, bowlers who others had considered great, but he treated like dirt from Michael Atherton's patloons. Do we really need to compare his SR with a few ODI has-beens?

Test match batting does require urgency too, Boss. How do you think Steve Waugh's Australia eked out win after win on those flat Adelaide, Sydney and Hobart pitches for the best part of a decade? They were like 4x400 relay runners, doing over the length of a lap what ordinary people would aspire to do over 100 m (read ODIs), never letting the pace flag, never dropping the baton...from Haydos to Langer to Ponting to Mark to Steve to Gilly...end of day's play 375 for 4, by lunch next day 500 for 6, slam bam thank you ma'm, next Test please. India never dreamt of playing cricket like that....until Sehwag came along. Then, as he flowered, boomed and spread like a Rafflesia in the rainforest, others timidly poked their heads over the parapet and thought, "Hey, I can do this too...why don't I try?" Sehwag it was who has been Gambhir's inspiration, responsible for his renaissance, it was Sehwag's brute confidence that led to Tendulkar Mark II, eschewing the hook shot, every pore breathing the belief that if the pupil could do it, so could the guru, Sehwag too who steeled Dada's resolve to realise his own attacking potential without compromising his wicket, and much later, Dhoni, watching from the rusty suburban cricket grounds of southern Bihar, dreamt dreams of batting like that one day. None of them would admit it, but the urgency grew from a seed planted by Viru, only being the simple Jat that he is, he wouldn't dream of laying claims to being a pioneer of sorts.

Some good points, but some are a bit overstretched. Dada has always been a fighter, he was probably the least naturally gifted of the then Ind batting, but he made it up with his determination. SRT eschewed attacking cricket quite temporarily, as I expected, and that was because of injuries. Your mind can wreak havoc with your self-confidence if suddenly the bread & butter shots keep costing your wkts (which was because of the breaks and injuries). It was just a matter of time before SRT rediscovered himself within his new limits. For me Veeru's most significant contribution is the simple fact that he just demoralizes the opposition so much so quickly and so frequently, and in the process piles up runs, which lessens the pressure on everybody else in the team.

Sehwag it was who has been Gambhir's inspiration, responsible for his renaissance, it was Sehwag's brute confidence that led to Tendulkar Mark II, eschewing the hook shot, every pore breathing the belief that if the pupil could do it, so could the guru, Sehwag too who steeled Dada's resolve to realise his own attacking potential without compromising his wicket, and much later, Dhoni, watching from the rusty suburban cricket grounds of southern Bihar, dreamt dreams of batting like that one day. None of them would admit it, but the urgency grew from a seed planted by Viru, only being the simple Jat that he is, he wouldn't dream of laying claims to being a pioneer of sorts.
Well said dhondy The guy is such a selfless cricketer and such an impact he has had on his fellow crickters, that a player like Gambhir was saying the other day in NDTV interview that he would be ready to give his place for Sehwag. Tendulkar has played with many cricketiers in his 20 year stint, and he puts Sehwag's name rite on top whenever he is asked about the other players he love to watch bat. p.s - Good one Bossbhai.. good thread.

Let's not forget, how genuinely hard it was for even the most devoted observer, to tell Tendulkar and Sehwag apart at the crease when the latter first emerged. Sehwag is a Tendulkar clone, first and foremost. Both players have since moved away from that blueprint. Sehwag became the second coming of Terminator in T2 spawned by the original Skynet chip. Tendulkar, well, he became more human.

Amazing statistic. But like many others I wont see too much in comparing Test and ODI figures. But for novelty value, these are priceless. Sehwag is a phenomenon - pure and simple. Not just because of the strike rate. Not just because of his audacity. Not just because of his limitless imagination when it comes to scoring runs off good balls. It goes beyond that. I will attempt to throw some light on this sometime later. At least my view on this, that is. And Sehwag not being nominated for Player of the Decade when Jayawardene was - well, daft is too insipid a word for those 'elite jury members'. Simply put, if they were choosing based on statistics why did we need an elite jury? A computer could have picked out Ponting based on numbers! And if we go by numbers, we would have to stand somebody picking Samaraweera in their World XI this season!! Go figure. ________ Vape info

Fantastic thread Boss & Dhondy. Sehwag was the single biggest reason I started watching test match cricket live again. Besides putting fans back in their seats, Veeru has permanently changed the role of opening batsmen in test cricket. He is a trend setter who played a role similar as Viv of the 80s, Jayasuriya of the 90s and Gilly of the 2000s. I wrote a while back that Veeru was the biggest reason we competed well against Australia (in Australia) this decade. I still stand behind that 100%. Sehwag is unique in every sense of the word. I grew up in the 90s thinking that no one can replace Sachin as my favorite cricketer. But Veeru has gone several notches higher. Long live Veeru, how poor will Indian cricket be without you!

if the statistics till now in this thread werent phenomenal enough, here is a even more phenomenal statistic - in 2009, sehwag had a avg of 70.11 with a amazing, unbelievable and out of the world strike-rate of 108.98 in test matches :yikes: and if we check the sehwag ownage club for the year 2009, with players having a odi strike-rate of less than 108.98 in 2009, we see that sehwag has owned even players like afridi & dilshan even:winky::D the sehwag ownage club of 2009 - http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=2;filter=advanced;orderby=batting_strike_rate;qualmax3=1.0898;qualmin2=200;qualmin3=0;qualval2=runs;qualval3=batting_strike_rate;spanmax1=31+Dec+2009;spanmin1=01+Jan+2009;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting