The Hitman - Hindustan Times interview with Virender Sehwag

Karan114

Amazing, amazing article. Again forthright and frank. For these qualities he will be made fun of and occasionally lambasted. But that is not going to change him. And that needs confidence. Confidence of a very high and rare order. That among other things is what sets him apart. I would have loved to see him lead the Indian side for a longer duration, but that is not to be. ________ MadisonQT

Sharmaji laid great emphasis on my achieving the right balance while playing my shots, especially the transfer of weight from back to front. His methods of correcting my mistakes were very innovative. For instance, I used to drag my back leg while driving the ball. He tied a string to my leg, and stood behind the wickets while I was batting, holding the string. If I dragged my leg, he would hold the string tight, not letting me do so.†There was another major flaw. Sehwag’s back lift came down from the point region. A pole was erected in front of the off stump and whenever the bat went in the direction of point, it would strike the pole. Sehwag’s trainer was a man who knew what he was doing and in the process, Sharma honed a raw talent (without compromising on natural ability) into a rare gem. Dropped from the team, he told his coach Sharma that he was not good enough to play quick bowling. “Even before my bat was down, Shoaib Akhtar’s delivery had rammed into my pads. I couldn’t even see the ball, leave alone play it,†he says. By now his desire and ambition had multiplied and a way was found to make Sehwag face genuine pace. Buckets of water were poured on the cemented wicket at Sharmaji’s academy and wet cork balls and tennis balls were bowled at him by pacers from a distance of 16 yards. Balls would fly around him but Sehwag would not be able to connect. “But once Sharmaji directed the bowlers to bowl at my body, the whole thing worked. I had to defend myself and in no time the ball started to find the meat of my bat.†This practice continued for hours and days and if Sehwag is today a skillful player of genuine pace, he has to thank his coach and his training methods for that.
whoever this sharmaji is he should be given at least a padma bhushan award. what innovative coaching. more importantly never gave up on his pupil.