Australia - Spinner Watch thread.

hari504504

The true "bowling powerhouse" - the revamped aussie team is now missing the final piece of the puzzle to complete what could possibly be another Worldcup winning squad for 2011 - the missing piece:a spinner (A must in subcontinental conditions). One just expects them to fast forward some of their U-19 talent into the current team before the 2011 WC - quite unusual for the Aussie set-up. LA Doran - Australia U-19,slow left arm orthodox: Bowled beautifully in the finals. Well flighted deliveries, beats batsmen in flight like the traditional left arm spinners. Wasn't afraid of getting hit. Great arm ball too. Jason S Floros - Australia U-19,All-rounder, Right arm offbreak Not exactly pleasing to the eye as a spinner should be - doesn't give the ball too much flight, but doesn't dart them into the batsmen either. Decent prospect. But not as promising as Doran.

It sure is the missing piece, everything else we seem to have replaced efficiently. Hauritz is good enough for the one day side, but we could still use a better one. As for tests, nowhere near good enough. He's growing in confidence though at least, which is a good thing.
What do you think of Doran's bowling...I only saw him during the finals..looked better than any spinner fielded by the aussies ever since warne and mcgill retired
It sure is the missing piece, everything else we seem to have replaced efficiently. Hauritz is good enough for the one day side, but we could still use a better one. As for tests, nowhere near good enough. He's growing in confidence though at least, which is a good thing.
Are you sure, Bradman99 that everything else is hunky dory with the Australian team? Do you believe they are ready to go on a Test tour to one of the other top countries? I really dont think so. If I was Australian I would be more than concerned about Ponting's waning powers and a bowling attack where the seamers are mostly honest triers without explosive wicket taking capabilities. None other than Hilfenhaus consistently swings the ball. And spin is a problem as you rightly point out. So, I would not say that they are out of the woods yet. Their batting is still suspect.

Hauritz is improving as a spinner but his big test will be how he bowls to the Indians. As for the fast bowlers ... well there is plenty of depth there with Johnson, Bollinger, Hilfenhaus, Siddle, Harris and Watson all capable of taking wickets (I don't really rate McKay). The other thing to be careful about Australia is that they tend to lift for the big games and big tournaments.Yes Ponting is not the player he used to be but he is still capable of scoring runs (especially in ODI cricket). On the other hand Watson has stepped up to a new level.

Australia and spinners :giggle:. A team which kicked out a bowler who picked 13 wickets on debut against India in India, picks a spinner like Bryce McGain and then drops him after one bad game, picks randumb spinners out of nowhere only to drop them a series later can in NO WAY be considered serious about spinners :hysterical:. Hauritz is an absolute bs bowler. Like Big Chris Gayle said, "When he bowls, its like I'm bowling to myself" :hysterical: RESPECT - a word that selectors there need to learn. There is a reason why spinners are a bit rusty at first. They mature late. Constant experimentation is moronic and retarded

Are you sure, Bradman99 that everything else is hunky dory with the Australian team? Do you believe they are ready to go on a Test tour to one of the other top countries? I really dont think so. If I was Australian I would be more than concerned about Ponting's waning powers and a bowling attack where the seamers are mostly honest triers without explosive wicket taking capabilities. None other than Hilfenhaus consistently swings the ball. And spin is a problem as you rightly point out. So, I would not say that they are out of the woods yet. Their batting is still suspect.
In one dayers I still think we are the benchmark and can beat anyone anywhere. I thought we were talking about one dayers anyhow, but as for tests I don't think we are quite there yet but we are getting closer.
In one dayers I still think we are the benchmark and can beat anyone anywhere. I thought we were talking about one dayers anyhow, but as for tests I don't think we are quite there yet but we are getting closer.
Again, an honest assessment about the Test team. About ODIs the game itself is very fickle. It can go any which way depending on the form of one or two players.