Hockey WC: Pool B: Day 5 - India v. Spain - Time: 08:35PM IST

Zelig

Guest Hiten.

They won one game and started thumping their chests and all. For the Indian public to gain interest in hockey, our team has to start performing on regular basis instead of giving all the importance to their one of clashes against Pakistan.

They won one game and started thumping their chests and all. For the Indian public to gain interest in hockey' date=' our team has to start performing on regular basis instead of giving all the importance to their one of clashes against Pakistan.[/quote'] It's not so simple - the hockey style played in India, just does not suit synthetic surfaces and all these rule changes like abolition of the offside rule have driven traditional Asian hockey out of the mainstream. I am watching the Western teams muscle through goal after goal and it's a completely different ball game from what the game used to be.

It's not so simple - the hockey style played in India' date=' just does not suit synthetic surfaces and all these rule changes like abolition of the offside rule have driven traditional Asian hockey out of the mainstream. I am watching the Western teams muscle through goal after goal and it's a completely different ball game from what the game used to be.[/quote'] Indian hockey needs star or two that are followed by masses. I certainly used to watch hockey games to see Dhanraj Pillay in action. Once we have couple of stars, viewers will come

Guest Hiten.
It's not so simple - the hockey style played in India' date=' just does not suit synthetic surfaces and all these rule changes like abolition of the offside rule have driven traditional Asian hockey out of the mainstream. I am watching the Western teams muscle through goal after goal and it's a completely different ball game from what the game used to be.[/quote'] OK I agree I am not an avid hockey follower/fan, but can you please tell me how come the bar was raised so high (well according to you its lowered) that the gulf between quality of Indian/Asian players have increased wrt foreign teams. About the offside thing I can comment on as I follow ice hockey and football; so i do agree with your sentiments that abolishing that rule is one of the most retarded moves because it puts team in two minds either to go 'full on attack' or 'full on defense'. Offside trap is the most conventional strategy in any sport and till date is one of the most effective one.

I was never a fan of hockey before this WC and perhaps this was the last of hockey I have ever watched .. frankly speaking I liked our team's fighting spirit in today's game ... they gave out their hearts and gave 110% in today's game but the truth is that they were looking like amateurs .. I really hated that they were letting the ball go so many times or did not even make good attempts at the goal after they worked off their arsses to take the ball to the opposition goal.. they did not penetrate the spanish defense and that is one thing I really hated .. if I compare them to professionals, then they were hard workers while the Spanish seemed to be smart workers ... wont watch anymore hockey perhaps with this pathetic play.. I will rather watch FIFA world cup and follow Brazil rather than this crap hockey WC

They won one game and started thumping their chests and all. For the Indian public to gain interest in hockey' date=' our team has to start performing on regular basis instead of giving all the importance to their one of clashes against Pakistan.[/quote'] I would agree with that .. even today I was really pissed off that somehow after reducing the goal marging to 2-1 our players celebrated as if they have won the match .. whereas the Spanish were making goals after goals and were still a lot more silent ... they really need to control their celebrations until they actually achieve or exceed the expectations of the public if they really want us to raise our interest in hockey .. last match was absolutely pathetic ... today's was better but they still looked like amateurs