I'm open for a role with an IPL team: Wright

abhinav

I'm open for a role with an IPL team: Wright Press Trust of India 18 April 2010 (New Delhi) He may not have bagged the coach's job with Kolkata Knight Riders this season but former India coach John Wright remains hopeful of getting a role with an Indian Premier League side in future. Earlier this year, speculation was rife that the former New Zealand batsman would replace John Buchanan as KKR coach. Wright too admitted that he had serious discussions with the Kolkata team management on the matter but eventually it did not materialise. However, with two new teams - Kochi and Pune -- joining the IPL bandwagon from next year, Wright is keeping his fingers crossed. "It would be an exciting challenge but who knows what will happen in future. I have coached India for five years and know the structure of the game here. I still miss the excitement which is associated with Indian cricket. Cricket is a passion here, so I would definitely consider if any (IPL) offer comes my way," Wright said in an exclusive interview. "I am still associated with coaching. I coach New Zealand 'A' team. As a coach you look at all options, so let's see what happens in future. But above all as a coach you should have the confidence of producing a good team," he said. "I had good talks with Kolkata Knight Riders people but it did not go that far," added the former left-handed batsman, who is presently working with New Zealand Cricket as a High Performance Manager. Talking about the the Twenty20 World Cup starting April 28 in the West Indies, Wright feels the teams which would seize early momentum in the tournament will be in an advantageous position in the tournament. He, however, refused to handpick any particular team as the favourite to lift the title but said the side which is fresh and free of injuries would stand a good chance in the event. "I think it is going to be like the last Twenty20 World Cup. But having said that the teams which are fresh, fit and can get the early momentum will definitely have an advantage over other teams. It's really very difficult to predict a winner in Twenty20 matches," said Wright, who coached India from 2000 to 2005. "It's really hard to make a comeback in such a short format. That's why teams which are not carrying people with injuries will have the edge. Leadership will also play a great role in the tournament," he said.