A great documentary on Buddha

CC1981

Re: A great documentary on Buddha I watched half of it and got bored because- a) I thought exactly the same things that Buddha thought. I think most half intelligent folks observe the things that he did. No big deal as a far as I am concerned. b) I would have taken the sexy maids rather than sit under the tree wasting time :wtg: c) His father's priest predicted the future about Buddha! Give me a break! No one can predict the future. Unless you class educated GUESS WORK as future prediction. d) Mum had dreams about his special son? The lady was pregnant so it's obvious she would dream about her son! Plenty of mums dream about angels or their "GOD" during pregnancy. I could keep going on but.... Anyway Buddha was a decent chap unlike that prophet of death from ME. Nothing more nothing less. Religious folks grab at any supernatural crap that gets thrown in their direction. How come these prophets only came 1500+ years ago? Is global warming or current Earth atmosphere too harsh for their fragile lungs/skin? :lmao: People believe all kind of crap I tell ya! All these religious gurus/prophets knew as much about life as I or you know now. Talk about mass delusion :chin: Ok I am out before you guys send in the artillery :lmao:

Re: A great documentary on Buddha

a) I thought exactly the same things that Buddha thought. I think most half intelligent folks observe the things that he did. No big deal as a far as I am concerned.
Dude this is just an introduction, like the ABCD. Like think how paper thin any religion would appear if you judge it solely by a 40 min. documentary. Buddhist philosophy, like all other, is much more complex than somethng that most half intelligent folks would observe and do.
c) His father's priest predicted the future about Buddha! Give me a break! No one can predict the future. Unless you class educated GUESS WORK as future prediction.
First law of a truely open scientific mind : never say never. We don't know and i admit it is unlikely - more like a ploy in the narrative to inspire certain thoughts- but its not alltogether impossible.
Religious folks grab at any supernatural crap that gets thrown in their direction.
You also forget, thousands of years ago, society in general was less aware of the universe. Less awareness equals more fear of the unknown equals more stock into the supernatural. Thats why all- every single- ancient story is gift-wrapped with some supernatural stuff. Pay no attention to that. Just look at the logic involved in his philosophy.
How come these prophets only came 1500+ years ago?
Perhaps there are some events that occur in a patternistic way. See, i pay special attention to the 600-400 BCE period. I don't know what it is or is it just me being spooked but its odd that in that 200 year period, so many critical thinker/religious founding fathers were born the world over: Plato, Aristotles, Buddha, Mahavira, Confucious, Lao-Zi were around. But another thing is, most prophets/critical thinkers don't become great in their own lifetimes but many centuries later. Plato became a superstar after the Romans discovered his work - he was a respected but not extraordinary in the greek pantheons to the greeks. Buddha, Mahavira, Confucious, Mohammed, Jesus, etc. all gained far more popularity (whatever the means) centuries later. So maybe there are prophets today but they are fringe dudes- perhaps 1000 years later, half the world would be following some guy from today we don't even know about. Who knows?
People believe all kind of crap I tell ya! All these religious gurus/prophets knew as much about life as I or you know now. Talk about mass delusion
Nah i wouldn't say so. I'd say use your brain to form your own opinions but that doesn't mean something said by someone else is crap. It could be very well something very profound that you wouldn't have thought about on your own. The collective conciousness has a far bigger scope than an individual conciousness.

Re: A great documentary on Buddha LOL It's you and me again. Man you make me waste so much time :hic:

Dude this is just an introduction, like the ABCD. Like think how paper thin any religion would appear if you judge it solely by a 40 min. documentary. Buddhist philosophy, like all other, is much more complex than somethng that most half intelligent folks would observe and do.
I was commenting on the way the BBC was gift wrapping it and making it all mumbo jumbo friendly. Just like on their website under summary of Islam they have (PBUH) every time MO is mentioned! PLEASE! Peace be upon a dead person? Is BBC in the business of supernatural crap now?
First law of a truely open scientific mind : never say never. We don't know and i admit it is unlikely - more like a ploy in the narrative to inspire certain thoughts- but its not alltogether impossible.
Fair enough but unless proven otherwise I will stick with my "NEVER" definition :-) I understand what you are saying but I am not buying it when it comes to supernatural and religious stuff.
You also forget, thousands of years ago, society in general was less aware of the universe. Less awareness equals more fear of the unknown equals more stock into the supernatural. Thats why all- every single- ancient story is gift-wrapped with some supernatural stuff. Pay no attention to that. Just look at the logic involved in his philosophy.
That is exactly why I don't live my life based on ancient tales. I agree Buddha was a decent chap that is why I did not dismiss his peaceful philosophy. That said I am doing fine without them :-)
Perhaps there are some events that occur in a patternistic way.
Perhaps is not good enough for me as that goes into making excuses territory :-) Perhaps I am Buddha? Perhaps I can fly if I pray hard?
See, i pay special attention to the 600-400 BCE period. I don't know what it is or is it just me being spooked but its odd that in that 200 year period, so many critical thinker/religious founding fathers were born the world over: Plato, Aristotles, Buddha, Mahavira, Confucious, Lao-Zi were around.
Yeah it's you being spooked and easily impressed :-) Billions of people on the planet mate.
But another thing is, most prophets/critical thinkers don't become great in their own lifetimes but many centuries later. ...Who knows?
Yeah but that has nothing to do with supernatural ability :-) Plus I would not put critical thinkers and Prophets together :-) In 1000 years people might class LOTR and Harry Potter as divine books..."who knows". catch my drift? :-)
Nah i wouldn't say so. I'd say use your brain to form your own opinions but that doesn't mean something said by someone else is crap.
Depends on what the person says. Just because someone else says something different does not mean that I automatically class it as crap.

Re: A great documentary on Buddha So he had fun with the sexy maids...got married and then dumped his wife! Talk about ek number ka pimp :-) What is with these holy men/prophets and sexy maids? Goes to show that they are just humans and not divine. If men were really messengers of God then they would know from the start the message and not do all this drama shrama. Plus God would deliver the message personally to us. Unless his postman is on permanent strike.

So he had fun with the sexy maids...got married and then dumped his wife! Talk about ek number ka pimp :-) What is with these holy men/prophets and sexy maids? Goes to show that they are just humans and not divine. If men were really messengers of God then they would know from the start the message and not do all this drama shrama. Plus God would deliver the message personally to us. Unless his postman is on permanent strike.
Yep. And Buddha was a human being, not someone special sent by divine. He just formulated a method of achieving nirvana. And KR, he didn't leave to find "personal" nirvana, in fact his life was comfortable and happy by any standard. Rather he felt the dukkha we all suffer, and tried to find the answer/solution to that so that all beings could be happier.

Yep. And Buddha was a human being, not someone special sent by divine. He just formulated a method of achieving nirvana.
My comment was aimed at founders of religion in general. Plus there are NO special men sent by GOD so obviously they are all NORMAL human beings ( although some probably had mental problems).
And KR, he didn't leave to find "personal" nirvana, in fact his life was comfortable and happy by any standard. Rather he felt the dukkha we all suffer, and tried to find the answer/solution to that so that all beings could be happier.
Well he did not find the solution did he? :lmao:

My comment was aimed at founders of religion in general. Plus there are NO special men sent by GOD so obviously they are all NORMAL human beings ( although some probably had mental problems).
Arrey baba, that is the difference between a Buddha and a Mahavira and Jesus/Mohammed. The former group never claimed to be from God- infact buddha categorically said he is a normal dude who figured stuff out on his own and anyone can do it. You can't class them all together.
Well he did not find the solution did he?
I think he did.

My comment was aimed at founders of religion in general. Plus there are NO special men sent by GOD so obviously they are all NORMAL human beings ( although some probably had mental problems). Arrey baba, that is the difference between a Buddha and a Mahavira and Jesus/Mohammed. The former group never claimed to be from God- infact buddha categorically said he is a normal dude who figured stuff out on his own and anyone can do it. You can't class them all together.
Arre mere bhai. If I debate religion so much then you should know that I am atleast aware of the basic difference between people like MO BABA/JESUS CHACHA and Bandhu Buddha/Mahavira. Mere bat ki khal kuon utar riha hai? :lmao: Don't take things so personally just cause you are Buddhist. For example I like lot of points that bandhu Richard Dawkin makes. A great mind but a normal human being just like Buddha was. Point is that I will never build temple for Mr Dawkin or worship him like he was God (even 1000years from now if I was alive:) Buddhists do build temples for Buddha and some do worship him like God. Plus Buddhism does believe in supernatural crap.
Well he did not find the solution did he? I think he did.
The suffering that Buddha witnessed back then still exists (lot worse actually). So ka solution find kya? No magic bullets in life or after life (there is no after life). Make most of the time you got and don't waste it by bending five times a day or trying to find Nirvana :wtg: Nirvana to hum nai bhe bhoth bar paya jab eik do pills swallow ki :lmao: Instant Nirvana I tell ya!

Re: A great documentary on Buddha A big fan of Dawkins myself. But you're mistaken when you put the buddha and jesus/md together. It's not his fault that his followers deviated from his ideas, on the other hand the others claimed and ordered people to do stuff this way or that way. Buddha never told people to make temples for him. And some people might be awed by him, just as you or I are awed by Dawkins, difference is how you express that feeling, can't blame either buddha or dawkins for that expression. And you're again mistaken to think that he failed just because sufferings still exist. That was the idea, life is suffering, one of the main principles of buddhism, but the buddha found out how you can free yourself and others possibly from everyday suffering.

Guest dada_rocks

CC have u seen harun yahya's diatribe filled documentary on buddha and buddhism
Nope, DR. Not sure i want to.
Seeing other side's story doesn't hurt........

Guest dada_rocks

The fact remains that he left his wife and young kid to attain personal nirvana. That is the reason why ' date=' I like the 4 stages of Hindusim with bhramachari being the last.[/quote'] Good for u but it doesn't mean he was wrong his wife and kids werein good hands and he was privy to this fact I am sure had their sustenance been dependent on him I am damn sure he would have taken them along ..

Guest dada_rocks

Who is harun yahya? Thought he's another islamic fundie and his site has books links to books like koran and science and bs like that. Might be mistaken though.
Yup a very popular fundu to that among believers just like clown Naik

I watched half of it and got bored because- a) I thought exactly the same things that Buddha thought. I think most half intelligent folks observe the things that he did. No big deal as a far as I am concerned. b) I would have taken the sexy maids rather than sit under the tree wasting time :wtg: c) His father's priest predicted the future about Buddha! Give me a break! No one can predict the future. Unless you class educated GUESS WORK as future prediction. d) Mum had dreams about his special son? The lady was pregnant so it's obvious she would dream about her son! Plenty of mums dream about angels or their "GOD" during pregnancy. I could keep going on but.... Anyway Buddha was a decent chap unlike that prophet of death from ME. Nothing more nothing less. Religious folks grab at any supernatural crap that gets thrown in their direction. How come these prophets only came 1500+ years ago? Is global warming or current Earth atmosphere too harsh for their fragile lungs/skin? :lmao: People believe all kind of crap I tell ya! All these religious gurus/prophets knew as much about life as I or you know now. Talk about mass delusion :chin: Ok I am out before you guys send in the artillery :lmao:
how about extending the general courtesy of respect, belief and tolerance to a faith different from yours? if you are an atheist, then deny the belief for something more intelligent that "hey no one can predict the future".

The fact remains that he left his wife and young kid to attain personal nirvana. That is the reason why ' date=' I like the 4 stages of Hindusim with bhramachari being the last.[/quote'] thats an interesting point... its the whole thing about duty to the material world and duty to the lord. i have found this to be a rather ambivalent debate, but i think you can attain both simultaneously unless the former is being an impediment to the later. nevertheless, its a personal choice and bhuddhism does not advice that you abandon your married life, just renounce material comforts that might distract you from the higher goal...