NRI/PIO India related questions

Gaurav

Ok so I am PIO but was born in India (don't hold an Indian passport anymore). Do I need a visa to enter India if I have British passport? What about non British EU citizens? If I want to buy property in India then which general area in N.India (near Delhi) is best? How much would a decent 3 room flat in the area you recommend cost? In dollar please as I don't understand the lakh thing :hic: Ok I don't really know why I am asking all this but just curious :lol: ________________________________________________ EDIT-OOPS!Wrong section! Mods can you please move it to the general section. I had a brain fart moment :duh: ______________________________________________

Re: NRI/PIO India related questions Yes any one who does NOT have an Indian passport needs a Indian VISA to enter INDIA irrespective of the origin. When you said PIO did you mean you have a PIO card? If yes, then you do NOT need additional VISA. The PIO card if your VISA. I will pass on the answers for property in New Delhi.

Re: NRI/PIO India related questions No I don't have any card. By PIO I just meant to say "Person of Indian origin". Is it advisable to get this PIO card? I don't want to get dual citizenship. My main concern is that if I get dual citizenship and get into trouble for some wrongly accused charge then the British embassy won't help me. I don't want to rot in some Indian jail :Cry: Will getting PIO card be similar as getting dual citizenship?...as far as British embassy help is concerned?

Re: NRI/PIO India related questions if you can afford it, gurgon is still quite hot. if you want i can find out the details of my dad's real estate agent, that bloke is quite handy and helped my dad secure some good investments over the past year.

Re: NRI/PIO India related questions There is NO dual citizenship by India. It is all a farce. They have what is called as an OCI (Overseas Citizen of India). You do NOT get an Indian passport but a card and a rubber stamp on the US/British passport. If you are vary of the OCI get the PIO saves you lot of hassels

Re: NRI/PIO India related questions

if you can afford it' date=' gurgon is still quite hot. if you want i can find out the details of my dad's real estate agent, that bloke is quite handy and helped my dad secure some good investments over the past year.[/quote'] Actually I won't be investing any time soon(if ever) so no point. Thanks for the offer though. Every one seems to be mentioning this gurgon place. I did bit of googling and the area seems like a dump to me. I mean all the "project/council estate type" buildings. One example- 250px-Apartmentingurgaon.JPG Am I missing something?

There is NO dual citizenship by India. It is all a farce. They have what is called as an OCI (Overseas Citizen of India). You do NOT get an Indian passport but a card and a rubber stamp on the US/British passport. If you are vary of the OCI get the PIO saves you lot of hassels
Ok I will go for the PIO card then. Safer option correct? Edit- Funny they want $310 for it :lmao: Even my British passport did not cost that much :chin: I guess I will have to mix more water in the dood to get back my money :lmao:

Re: NRI/PIO India related questions PIO costs $310 OCI costs $275. I guess they want to do away with PIO. Why dont you get OCI. Oci is lifetime and you do NOT need to register with the police for stays over 6 months. PIO is valid for 15 years and requires registration for stays over 6 months.

PIO costs $310 OCI costs $275. I guess they want to do away with PIO. Why dont you get OCI. Oci is lifetime and you do NOT need to register with the police for stays over 6 months. PIO is valid for 15 years and requires registration for stays over 6 months.
Well the only reason is what I mentioned earlier. Having weight of British passport/citizenship in case of trouble. Will that backing still be there as an OCI in case I end up in trouble? In a normal dual citizenship case--> country A normally washes hands off you if you get into trouble while visiting your second country B. The logic being that you are a citizen of country B as well so country A stays out of it.

Yes any one who does NOT have an Indian passport needs a Indian VISA to enter INDIA irrespective of the origin. When you said PIO did you mean you have a PIO card? If yes' date=' then you do NOT need additional VISA. The PIO card if your VISA. I will pass on the answers for property in New Delhi.[/quote'] I'm an American passport holder, I have a PIO card also, BUT I still require a visa to visit India.

I'm an American passport holder' date=' I have a PIO card also, BUT I still require a visa to visit India.[/quote'] Does American passport holder = US citizen or can you be non US citizen and still hold a US passport? Hmmm! If I still need a visa then what the hell is the need of all the PIO drama? I was under the impression that Brits can visit India for 3 months or so without a visa due to the historic connection.

Guest dada_rocks

Yes any one who does NOT have an Indian passport needs a Indian VISA to enter INDIA irrespective of the origin. When you said PIO did you mean you have a PIO card? If yes' date=' then you do NOT need additional VISA. The PIO card if your VISA. I will pass on the answers for property in New Delhi.[/quote'] I'm an American passport holder, I have a PIO card also, BUT I still require a visa to visit India.
Are u sure about that.. I don't think u sud be needing visa if u have a PIO card

I'm an American passport holder' date=' I have a PIO card also, BUT I still require a visa to visit India.[/quote'] You do NOT need a visa if you are a PIO holder. Cut and paste from CGI SF Facilities to be extended to a PIO Card Holder: (i) A PIO Card holder shall not require a separate visa to visit India. (ii) A PIO Card holder will be exempted from the requirement of registration if his stay on any single visit in India does not exceed 180 days. (iii) In the even of continuous stay in India of the PIO Card holder exceeding 180 days, he/she shall have to get himself/herself registered within 30 days of the expiry of 180 days with the concerned Foreigners Regional Registration Officer/Foreigners Registration Officer. (iv) All PIOs including PIO Card holders, shall enjoy parity with NRIs in respect of all facilities available to the latter in the economic, financial and educational fields except in matters relating to the acquisition of agricultural/plantation properties. No parity shall be allowed in the sphere of political rights.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: NRI/PIO India related questions GKD if u have OCI u can buy any property except agricultural land. In some states u can;t buy agricultural land even if u are citizen in some region unless u prove that farming is your occupation. Amitabh bachchan is fighting some court case becaue he bought some 20 odd acres of land n maharashtra declaring himself as farmer.. In delhi in decent locality well u are looking at around 6 million indian rs for three bedroom flat. That kind of money will buy u a grand house in coastal region of crotia where u can have cherry and grape garden in backyard so choice is yours buddy.