Warm welcome for Ganguly in Kolkata

DesiChap

Re: Warm welcome for Ganguly in Kolkata

Allright ' date=' strike out deep dasgupta.But his replacement Ajay Ratra was no great shake either. I would rate dasgupta better.[/quote'] If you talk of shafting(specially about wicket keeper) then I doubt anyone comes close to Syed Saba Karim. Here is his first class average. 120 games 7310runs@ 56.66 22Hundreds 33Fifty 243catch 55stumpings. How many wicket keepers have better First class average in India? He would routinely be overlooked for More,Pundit, Mongia and later on Dighe etc. But Bihar did not exactly go up in flames did it? Reason being simple, Saba Karim did get to play(though towards the end of his career) for India and did not exactly cover himself with great glory. xxxx

Allright ' date=' strike out deep dasgupta.But his replacement Ajay Ratra was no great shake either. I would rate dasgupta better.[/quote'] If you talk of shafting(specially about wicket keeper) then I doubt anyone comes close to Syed Saba Karim. Here is his first class average. 120 games 7310runs@ 56.66 22Hundreds 33Fifty 243catch 55stumpings. How many wicket keepers have better First class average in India? He would routinely be overlooked for More,Pundit, Mongia and later on Dighe etc. But Bihar did not exactly go up in flames did it? Reason being simple, Saba Karim did get to play(though towards the end of his career) for India and did not exactly cover himself with great glory. xxxx
Actually I would concede this point to you. Even I felt that both Saba Karim as well as Samir Dighe got shafted. In fact , I feel both were useful bats who could have served us well in ODI's.

bullcrap.... everyone who knows a bit of cricket will acknowledge Ratra was a much better keeper than Dasgupta....
Ratra sucked as a batsmen . R u gonna deny that ?
i have no clue what u were watching..... Ratra was 1000 times better than Dasgupta as a keeper.... as a batter, he got very limited opportunities.... even, in that, he was the youngest keeper to score a ton, that too in an overseas test match..... at only 20 yrs of age.... he was pretty nimble and fast... Ratra, Saba Karim, Dighe - they all experienced raw deal..... why complain about an utterless failure like Dasgupta by the Bengalis, i have no friggin clue.... look at the candidates who u complaining about... Ratan shuklas, Dasguptas, Arun lal.... WTF.... if anything, i thot, Utpal was a decent bowler and could have been given a chance earlier.... but then again, so were goel, kumar, Bhatt who didnt get a chance.... so no conclusion that Bengal alone was the sufferers in the zonal bias.....

Re: Warm welcome for Ganguly in Kolkata Jesus Gator, Relax mate. I actually agree with you that Bengal alone was not the sufferer in the zonal bias. But , it was one of the states that suffered just like Bihar. But , let's compare career stats of both Ratra and Deep Dasgupta overall Ratra 6 10 1 163 115* 19 13 18.11 1 0 1 Deep 8 13 1 344 100 63 60 28.66 1 2 2 It's bullcrap to suggest that Ratra was a better bat or had limited oppurtunity. On the contrary , a definite case can be made for Dasgupta to be a better bat.

Re: Warm welcome for Ganguly in Kolkata firstly, Stats cannot be used to compare talent based on 6 or 8 tests.... secondly, their primary job was to keep... Dasgupta does not fall under the top 5 keepers in the country at that time.... Thirdly, Dasgupta's century was in india, while Ratra's was in windies.... Show me, how many keepers have scored centuries in windies..... and he was only 20.... remind me, how many chances did Raina get cos he is young? fourthly, all of Ratra's tests were played overseas.... while most of Dasgupta's tests were played at home....

Re: Warm welcome for Ganguly in Kolkata Don't forget the Most Important fact that you guys are talking about 2 wicketkeeps who is expected to be sharp behind the Wickets. Dasgupta was definitely a poor keeper when compared to ratra, and that's a fact. whatever time he stayed with the team was more because of the fact that he could bat a bit and india wanted a decent bat since our tail was way too long. But for how long you can afford a keeper to drop an important catch or miss a quick stumping chance at the crutical stages of the game. the same thing happened with Pathan, he could bat a bit, but his first job is to bowl a bat and untill he keeps on delivering goods with the bowl and makes some runs he will have an edge. but the minute he slacks with his Bowl and becomes a tundler, however much progress he has made with his batting abilities, it wont merit him a place in the playing 11. the minute we get any decent bowler who could bat a bit pathan could very well be a history. (unless he gets his rhythm back with bowl, which doesnt looks like happenening anytime soon)

firstly, Stats cannot be used to compare talent based on 6 or 8 tests.... secondly, their primary job was to keep... Dasgupta does not fall under the top 5 keepers in the country at that time.... Thirdly, Dasgupta's century was in india, while Ratra's was in windies.... Show me, how many keepers have scored centuries in windies..... and he was only 20.... remind me, how many chances did Raina get cos he is young? fourthly, all of Ratra's tests were played overseas.... while most of Dasgupta's tests were played at home....
If Stats cannot be compared , then it's your opinion that Ratra was a better bat. For me , Dasgupta was a better bat and he has the stats to prove it. On your second point , I would agree that Ratra was a better keeper. On your third point, West Indies attack of this decade is pale shadow of 80's and 90's. He scored a century against an attack of Collins, Cuffy for god sake. A good achievement , that's about it. Except this score , he reverted to his usual habit of scoring in teens . His next highest score was 19. On your fourth point , r u discounting centuries in India versus overseas? Remember Bheembahi's stats ? Also, Ponting would get a free pass if we go by this logic.

On your third point, West Indies attack of this decade is pale shadow of 80's and 90's. He scored a century against an attack of Collins, Cuffy for god sake. A good achievement , that's about it. Except this score , he reverted to his usual habit of scoring in teens . His next highest score was 19.
then why did India lose that series?

On your third point' date=' West Indies attack of this decade is pale shadow of 80's and 90's. He scored a century against an attack of Collins, Cuffy for god sake. A good achievement , that's about it. Except this score , he reverted to his usual habit of scoring in teens . His next highest score was 19. [/quote'] then why did India lose that series?
because , just like ponting suggested we are poor travellers. :hic:

Re: Warm welcome for Ganguly in Kolkata Except for that one century , Ratra has nothing to show for in 6 tests. It could be fluke innnings because his next highest score is 19. In fact he scored an aggregate of 10 runs in three tests in England. I would conclude this discussion by maintaining the fact that going by stats ,Deep Dasgupta was a better bat.As regards to keeping , I would agree that Ratra was better.

Re: Warm welcome for Ganguly in Kolkata back to the OP...its no mystery that Kolkatans have always shown a despicable regional bias....contrast this with the cold welcome Dravid and Kumble got in Bangalore.....these folks are mighty glad that India has been ousted and their "dada" has another chance at being skipper...

back to the OP...its no mystery that Kolkatans have always shown a despicable regional bias....contrast this with the cold welcome Dravid and Kumble got in Bangalore.....these folks are mighty glad that India has been ousted and their "dada" has another chance at being skipper...
That my friend, is totally unacceptable and so was the booing in Eden Gardens.

back to the OP...its no mystery that Kolkatans have always shown a despicable regional bias....contrast this with the cold welcome Dravid and Kumble got in Bangalore.....these folks are mighty glad that India has been ousted and their "dada" has another chance at being skipper...
couldn't agree more. kolkatta seems to be dada obsessed and boy do we know how fanatic these dada obsessors can get. :lol: