How do u feel about living away from home ??

Ram

Re: How do u feel about living away from home ??

Your idea to make a switch in career is excellent. Any good ideas for people who are tired of this IT job?
Good question HC. I am personally one of those who belong in that category of switching jobs(specially from IT). Its not that I do not like my profession, I love it really, but I do not see myself doing this the rest of my life. Maybe 5-10 year tops. What would I want to do if I switch? Well thats a million dollar question and something that I havent figured out yet. One thing I know is that I would be self-employed. The options I am looking at are - gym(or health based), education and healthcare. The latter two are, in my opinion, going to be booming in next few years. I mean you are in Bombay/Delhi or Patna/Bhopal you want your kid to study in a good school but how many good schools are out there? Same with healthcare. With Indian economy going up this is an area that can be tapped. And gym is something close to my heart..dont really mind if I dont make a lot of money so long as my costs are covered. Just some random shootings in the dark for now, lets see how things pan out eventually. xxxx
Lurker, Gym is a great idea and educating the importance of exercising is key especially in Indian cities where people work more hours. Education/Health care for poor or for the rich? Dont get me wrong all the elitist institutions now tend to cater to the rich. You cannot just blame them because you got to have funds(either through tution fees or external funding) to provide decent level of teaching/care.

with middle class becoming stronger and stronger...go in mortagage industry...
How do you go in mortgage industry? :chin: :chin:
You mean private financing giving away home loans and vehicle loans. Interesting :chin:

Education/Health care for poor or for the rich? Dont get me wrong all the elitist institutions now tend to cater to the rich. You cannot just blame them because you got to have funds(either through tution fees or external funding) to provide decent level of teaching/care.
Good question again HC. See I am no Tata/Birla that has a largesse of wealth and neither am I a Mahashweta Devi / Medha Patkar that I shall give up everything for the poor. The medium path is perhaps more suited to me. So I would like to take a reasonable money from rich patients so I can sorta help some poor people too. Again its all in the head as we speak right now. Whatever I do I shall have to start small and then build it up. Unless I can get you to sponsor my ventures :hic:

Your idea to make a switch in career is excellent. Any good ideas for people who are tired of this IT job?
tired of IT industry? Apo, tired at the ups and downs of IT Industry. Still feels it challenging though but at times becomes lightweighted and sometimes feels the pressure since I run my own space. How long have you been working?
you mean in IT right, for 15 years and past 3 years doing my own biz.

Re: How do u feel about living away from home ?? I have my parents here with me so never ever felt like I'm away from "home". We make it a point to go to India once a year which is why I never felt sad/upset being away from India (apart from when I first moved to england and missed everyone back in india sooo much!!). Education wise, I've seen my cousins work harrrdd when they were in their final year of college, the whole tuition thing - waking up at 4am to go to tuition and tuition after college etc etc. On that basis I never wanted to go back to India to study, wouldn't have been able to cope with it. Perfectly happy at a very good uni in england studying what I do. If my parents were in india and I was here by myself, it might have been a different issue altogether.

Re: How do u feel about living away from home ?? Beyond emotionel and sentimental reasons , I have a feeling it is not safe enough on part of Indians to plan for a medium to long term future in the U.S or other Western countries. Just came across this video.. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4094926727128068265&hl=en Its on immigration into the US and the speaker literally holds the entire audience spell bound with some clever juggelry of thoughts and visuals. There is a growing sentiment against Immigration into the U.S in congress and in general in the minds of american people. A change in administration could mean tougher immigration laws. Financially too , India as a job market is gaining on the US interms of attaractive pay packets. The numbers yet dont match with each other, but the ROI will be much higher in India. And why the hell do i all of a sudden sound like a Hum-Ek-Swadehsi type !!! :hic: well... whatevr !! And congrats to Kabira for taking the bold move of relocating !! :wtg:

Beyond emotionel and sentimental reasons ' date=' I have a feeling it is not safe enough on part of Indians to plan for a medium to long term future in the U.S or other Western countries. :wtg:[/quote'] What about Indians who are US/west citizens already? Are you saying that things will get so bad that they will be driven out? :shrug: OR are you sayign that US won't be a nice place to live in so it's best to move back to India? 2pac guy in your video was funny :lmao: Good presentation I must say.

Beyond emotionel and sentimental reasons ' date=' I have a feeling it is not safe enough on part of Indians to plan for a medium to long term future in the U.S or other Western countries. :wtg:[/quote'] What about Indians who are US/west citizens already? Are you saying that things will get so bad that they will be driven out? :shrug: OR are you sayign that US won't be a nice place to live in so it's best to move back to India? 2pac guy in your video was funny :lmao: Good presentation I must say.
The ones who are already citizens or permanent residents -- obviously , they dont run the risk of being "chucked" out. Yet , if a nation's mood turns decisively against immigrants , You would find that even this category of people will be less welcomed than they were before... But for the majority residing with visas here , their future is definately not as secure as they think. Ofcourse the corporates will protest if the cap on H1B is further reduced , but elections see politicians becming desperate to garner votes...