CLT20 2010 - What a borefest!

achilles

I turn on the TV at 7am after reading in the paper that Enrique Iglesias is gonna be on air. What greets me until 7.30pm is some sleepy lecture advertisement about how good CLT20 is and how good this and that team is. Finally when we go Live at 7.30pm, guess whats on air- Hung broadcast for 15 secs, then an unassuming Harsha Bhogle is talking about Big B's teaser (which was maybe what only he saw), welcomes Dada and we are back to the hung broadcast for about 30 secs. The energy... superlow. Seemed like there was NOTHING special about the CLT20. The two talked as if they were doing a favour to the broadcasters, go onto the field for some dude from Disney XD to market his channel and shots of Pommie in front of an absolutely empty stadium point towards the unavertable. Still, I was optimistic. As they spoke about the acts of the evening, my excitement grew and also a question was playing in my mind - Are Enrique and Co. opening before an audience of a bare 1000? So I thought it was at the end of the MI game that a GALA OPENING CEREMONY would proceed. Instead, what we get was a ridiculous lag in transmission. The voice comes first, the lips move after. The performances were on a joke stage over the pavillion, not in the middle of the ground. Enrique... what a waste of money. The camera adjustments- ridiculous. The crowd... non-existent. The only glamorous aspect was the 30 sec clip from the previous night. What a yawnfest! Zero glamour. Seems like the organising is just as reclusive as the board. They seem to have organised this as a "meherbaani" on us and it shows. No opening ceremony. No glitz and glamour. No buzz and excitement. No crowd. No cheering in the background. Not a hint of a spark. Compare this to the IPL S02 and you will see a waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy different modus operandi. Maybe getting rid of Lalit Modi wasn't the best idea. He was corrupt but he knew what he was doing and the crowd loved the way he marketed and sold his product. I'm on the side of the purists this time. I hope the CLT20 fails for being such a lame shadow of the IPL. Disappointing is a term not even half as effective to describe the 2010 edition. They need a spark to light up this tournament or this is exactly what we will see in IPL 4. The fans disinterested, the sponsors out and India losing its monopoly and market to some other country. What a bunch of morons running the sport! Thank you for Killing the golden goose, fella's. It was great while it lasted.

Not that I am following CL, but are you saying that you actually sat through the entire day and night (or whatever the length of Opening ceremony was) and really enjoyed that piece of sh*t show called ceremony ? There was nothing ceremonious about them and actually were one of the main reasons for dropped TRP because crowds actually fell asleep for entire length of the tourney cuz of them :giggle:. And if you're saying CL is boring because it is without the midas touch that LM (acc to you) carries, then you have no idea how wrong can you be. With or without LM this is a dumb league, obvious reason being players don't know who to play for and crowds don't know who to support. Unless the allegiance is made clear, not even the players would give hoot to this league and will play because of the big bucks only. Also, it's an obvious overkill of the format and after IPL 4 crowd will be looking forward to something else given that IPL has increased number of matches to 74. With the stupid player retention clause, IPL has managed to piss off the already established franchises and sooner or later they're gonna stick their fingers up too. I still believe T20 is a good format but making players play 1000 different matches under 1000 different league is not the way of reaching out to the audience. You've go to keep it simple stupid!

Not that I am following CL, but are you saying that you actually sat through the entire day and night (or whatever the length of Opening ceremony was) and really enjoyed that piece of sh*t show called ceremony ? There was nothing ceremonious about them and actually were one of the main reasons for dropped TRP because crowds actually fell asleep for entire length of the tourney cuz of them :giggle:. And if you're saying CL is boring because it is without the midas touch that LM (acc to you) carries, then you have no idea how wrong can you be. With or without LM this is a dumb league, obvious reason being players don't know who to play for and crowds don't know who to support. Unless the allegiance is made clear, not even the players would give hoot to this league and will play because of the big bucks only. Also, it's an obvious overkill of the format and after IPL 4 crowd will be looking forward to something else given that IPL has increased number of matches to 74. With the stupid player retention clause, IPL has managed to piss off the already established franchises and sooner or later they're gonna stick their fingers up too. I still believe T20 is a good format but making players play 1000 different matches under 1000 different league is not the way of reaching out to the audience. You've go to keep it simple stupid!
Marketing is an integral part of sport. Instances like "Rockstars of Cricket are here in NZ" during the Indian tour there are exactly what the crowd needs to get spurred on. No one cares two hoots about Pink performing at the WT20 but when Akon came to SA during IPL2 and India during IPL3, we all saw the rousing response he got. Personal opinions will always be there, but there were a 100,000 people in SA during the Closing ceremony which is almost 10-20,000 more than the capacity of the stadium and the event managers said it was a miracle that there wasn't a stampede or a stand collapse. Thousands of people thronged to Bombay to watch the opening and closing ceremony's and it was sold out in IPL3. All this must surely mean something to the crowd, isn't it? And as you rightly pointed out, there is an obvious overkill element. That is also a set of disinterest audience apart from the purists who hate watching the shortest format of the game. But the past 3 IPLs atleast appealed to the people, so much so, they did goto the stadiums and watched the matches, the teams earned their money, the sponsors made hay and everyone was happy. Last year's CLT20 was bad. But this is worse. What a joke of a tournament! There is ZERO BUZZ. No excitement. Its all mechanical. They show random dude dancing in the crowd once every over and as the bowler steams in, there is NO support from the crowd, no egging on, empty seats in the background. IPL is going to go down the same way if the lessons aren't learnt from this tourney. No matter what LM did financially, he knew how to manage the same franchises, who are making a mess of things by constantly playing hardball with the board. Its been only 4 months since he's gone and look what they've turning the format into. Babu's are best at doing babugiri, not running pro leagues.
over-hyped it still remains a domestic tournament shouldn't have expected much, achilles
What a borefest man. But a special thanks to the Lions for actually lifting this game up.