Commonwealth Games may be called off : NZ official

seedhi

Yesterday, it was a snake in the athletes room. Today, they had to call a snake handler to remove them from the main tennis court:

delhi_snake-420x0.jpg

As if the threat of terrorism, shoddy construction or dengue fever wasn't enough, athletes and visitors to the Commonwealth Games in Delhi now have another potentially-dangerous hazard to consider - snakes. Continuing a dramatic build up to the event, which begins in six days, it emerged on Monday a full-grown cobra had to be removed from one of the Games venues - the RK Khanna Tennis Complex - late on Sunday afternoon. It came just hours after a South African official claimed a snake was also found in a room earmarked for his country's athletes at the Games village. The Times of India reported an animal rescue group had to be called to the tennis venue to remove the cobra, which was then released back into the wild. The newspaper said it was not unusual for snakes and other animals to show up in odd places in the post-monsoon season, while organisers were being urged to quickly devise an animal control plan for the event. South African high commissioner Harris Mbulelo Mejeke was less than impressed after a reptile was discovered in his country's section of the village. "It was a threat to the lives of our athletes." he said. "Very disappointing. I don't know whether it was an Indian snake. But it was there in one of our rooms." The criticism follows a wave of concern from several countries over the state of the athletes' village. However, Australian officials have remained positive about the accommodation having spent several days cleaning and sealing up the rooms themselves. Australian chef de mission Steve Moneghetti could even see the funny side of the latest drama on Monday. "We come from a country that has the most venomous snakes in the world so if any country is prepared, it is probably us," Moneghetti told reporters. "Maybe we planted a couple ... It's only a cobra. "... It's not something we can control, and I am sure the athletes are not going to be fazed by that. "It would be a concern if it was on the training track but I don't think something like that is going to happen." Around 50 Australian athletes, including members of the lawn bowls, gymnastics and netball teams, arrived in Delhi on Monday and were set to move straight into the village.

Link: http://www.smh.com.au/commonwealth-games-2010/comm-games-news/slippery-new-hazard-for-games-20100927-15tq0.html

Indeed you really have made a great point here. As SRK would say we have great neighbours.:two_thumbs_up: I say ignore mumbai terrorist murders and all other state sponsored terrorist actions by pak against us. This makes up for all the indians murdered by pak terrorism! I say this is post of the week:two_thumbs_up:

For once when pak has a genuine stick to beat us with they opt to side with us:hysterical: Lahori logic for you:hysterical:
Its not lahori logic but one of decency, you don't kick someone who is down. Is that so hard to comprehend?

Indeed you really have made a great point here. As SRK would say we have great neighbours.:two_thumbs_up: I say ignore mumbai terrorist murders and all other state sponsored terrorist actions by pak against us. This makes up for all the indians murdered by pak terrorism! I say this is post of the week:two_thumbs_up:
You are quite wrong. The intention of my post is not to somehow demonstrate that we have great neighbhors. I merely want to point out that they have a positive side too sometimes. We make fun and laugh at their every action which I believe is quite unwarranted. Now on the question of terrorism, I am with you that Pakistan is a menace to world peace mainly due to their innate unwillingness to see the problem that they pose.

Whether the games are a success or not, I hope this scumbag of a sports administrator is fronted up for corruption charges. Looks like Delhi will be paying off a huge debt for years to come; Following is worth a read if you have the patience.

The Greek spent about $12 billion and built 22 stadiums, besides sprucing up their urban spaces and beefing up their transport system. Indeed, 21 rusted stadiums, since the games got over, are padlocked and surrounded by barbed wires. Furthermore, the open air swimming pool is scratched and unusable. Worse, the Athens games increased the public debt of the Greek economy to such an extent that it left no headspace for any maneuvering when the contamination of the economic recession hit Europe. So severe was the impact of the Greek profligacy that for a short while the European Union seemed like sinking. If it hadn't been for the quick bailout by Germany and France, Mount Olympia and Temple of Apollo would have come under the auctioneer's gavel. The bizarre spending on the games is difficult to explain in a poor country where 40 per cent people live below the poverty line. To provide context to the expenditure on games, it is important to know that the government of India spent Rs 49,000 crore to provide one time debt relief to 2.79 crore farmers in 2008. Surely, this relief must have stopped many a farmer to pick up a bottle of pesticide and take his life. The real games in India, too, will start -- like in Greece -- after the chief guest brings the curtains down on this lavish misadventure called CWG. Like in Athens, there will be no users for the fancy stadiums and other facilities. Plus, a plethora of punishment taxes, hidden costs, and huge expenses will hit the aam aadmi in the days to come. And the truth is, a bankrupt Greece was rocked by massive street protests and social unrest. Are we ready for this pain?
Link: http://www.hardnewsmedia.com/2010/09/3690

Whether the games are a success or not, I hope this scumbag of a sports administrator is fronted up for corruption charges. Looks like Delhi will be paying off a huge debt for years to come; Following is worth a read if you have the patience. Link: http://www.hardnewsmedia.com/2010/09/3690
sree did you know from where all mpney comes for games,it comes from sechdule cast/tribe fund. so no chance of like greek situation.:nervous: