Internet - What do you dislike about it?

Lurker

Re: Internet - What do you dislike about it?

Leaving aside the pitiful quality of journalism' date=' the popups are the main reason why i stopped frequenting online Indian newspapers. ToI is by far the worst...everytime i visited their page, my laptop would end up crashing.[/quote']I'm serious. Use firefox with Ad-block plus. Subscribe to the american thing. No ads whatsover.

Re: Internet - What do you dislike about it? Good topic. Overall there is not much to dislike about the internet esp given our age. May be as we grow older & become parents of teenagers we may have more reasons to dislike the internet. Here are some things i found 'not so desirable' about the internet culture: 1) Many things considered essential (such as meticulous planning/preparation etc) are taken for granted. There is this tendency that u can always 'google it' when there is a need. As a result 'overall competence' of employees in some industries (esp software industry) has come down. One could argue that internet has also helped people learn more than before, but based on experience, i stand by my assessment that overall quality of engineers that i see these days has gone down. 2) Protecting intellectual/personal property has become a nightmare in many industries. Few examples: a) If u wanna run a small scale business (without much time for legality/copyrights etc) protecting your IP is almost impossible. There are dozens of crack websites which out the crack code for a software thats hardly released. b) Free movie & song downloads promotes piracy & hurts revenues of businesses 3) Internet is addictive & sort of encourages a 'couch potato' culture.

Re: Internet - What do you dislike about it? The catch has to be the "internet addiction".....this really bites into other things you can pursue.Having said that, I must say that I really cant be away from the net for long....I read this I guess in a newsweek issue-"with the other life altering inventions like the telegraph,telephone or television,all were meant to do the thing they were invented for...with the internet the possibilities are limitless-it can be a newspaper,television,telephone...you name it :wtg: