Ranji Trophy 2010-11: Super League

Rayudu, Devdhar put Baroda in commanding position against UP More... Ambati Rayudu's 91 off 130 balls gave Baroda a 119-run first innings lead against Uttar Pradesh in Vadodara. Yusuf Pathan and Munaf Patel had done the job for Baroda on day one, bowling UP out for 190, and on Thursday it was Rayudu's turn as he took the table-toppers from a precarious position at 113 for 4 to a substantial first-innings total. Rayudu has made his name as an aggressive batsman in Twenty20 cricket, after making the transition from the Indian Cricket League (ICL) to the Mumbai Indians, and is now Baroda's leading run-getter this season. He was well supported in a 147-run stand by Kedar Devdhar, who played the sheet anchor role, taking 212 balls to get to 66. UP fast bowler Sudeep Tyagi was not afraid to use the short ball early on and got the crucial wicket of Yusuf Pathan in his 2 for 80. Rayudu's knock should have ended on 80, when Tanmay Srivastava appeared to have held a low catch at leg gully off RP Singh, but the third umpire decided there wasn't enough evidence to declare the catch clean. Singh got his man 11 runs later, though, and then Bhuvneshwar Kumar took three of the last five wickets, which Baroda lost for 49 runs, to finish with figures of 4 for 51. UP ended the day at 25 for 0, as openers Srivastava and Digvijay Singh batted out ten overs.

Dhawan, Nagar put Delhi in charge against Gujarat More... Dhawan, Nagar put Delhi in charge NEW DELHI: Shikhar Dhawan and Yogesh Nagar placed Delhi in a sound position on the second day of the Ranji Trophy Super League match at the Ferozeshah Kotla here on Thursday. Dhawan's 116 and Nagar's 69 enabled Delhi to end the day at 248 for three, a lead of 177 runs giving the home team a distinct advantage. Delhi extended their dominance on Day Two of their match against Gujarat on Thursday, scoring 248 for three to extend their first innings lead to 177. The hosts had bowled out the visitors for a paltry 71 on the opening day. Commencing on their overnight 39, openers Shikhar Dhawan (24) and Unmukt Chand (15) began well, albeit after a slightly delayed start, and looked at ease against a probing Gujarat attack, which tested them outside the off stump. The bowlers, however, failed to force the experienced Dhawan into committing errors for most part of the day. The left-hander was patient during his unbeaten knock of 116 while the debutant Chand provided good support as the duo constructed a 99-run opening partnership. The post-lunch session was comparatively more fruitful for Parthiv Patel's side. A lapse in concentration from Chand gave Siddharth Trivedi his first wicket — a rising delivery had the batsman edging it to Parthiv behind the stumps. But Unmukt, on his debut, indulged in indiscretion by attempting to cut to bring a premature end to a highly promising innings. He looked compact in his 35 and earned praise from the team management. Delhi suffered a jolt when back-to-back centurion Virat Kohli (6) returned to the pavilion. A soft dismissal, Kohli lofted an Ishwar Choudhary delivery to shortish cover where Pratharesh Parmar completed the simplest of catches. Skipper Mithun Manhas followed two overs later, edging a Choudhary delivery. With Delhi at 124-3, Gujarat looked set to make inroads into the batting. The spin of Salil Yadav was also made use of although at 4.38 runs an over, he was on the expensive side. Dhawan managed to keep his nerves and though a dropped catch at mid-off, while he was in the 70s, gave him a lifeline, the century was a culmination of patience, concentration and right shot selection throughout the day. Yogesh Nagar, who slammed eight boundaries and the only six of the match to finish the day on 69, ably supported the opener. Though fading light brought proceedings at the Ferozeshah Kotla to a close, Dhawan looked eager to build on his score. "I am glad I completed my century. The ball was swinging a bit and there were occasions where I tried to quicken the pace and made errors. But the final score is satisfying," he said, not forgetting to praise Chand and Nagar for their concentration. Two seasons back against Gujarat at Valsad, a debutant gave a glimpse of his potential with a mature innings that defied his age. After that promising start, a dip in form relegated him to obscurity. Yogesh Nagar virtually restarted his career on Thursday at the Ferozeshah Kotla, against the same opponents. With the utility of his off-breaks diminishing against repeated calls by umpires for chucking, the 20 year-old all-rounder walked in to bat with his career on line, and made a flawless unbeaten half-century that had both aggression and caution. But Nagar had to wait for 90 minutes early on Thursday morning to kickstart his attempted career revival. Delhi lost a crucial opening hour and the bright sunshine as water seeped in through the edges of the square, forcing a delay. While Nagar was looking to retrace his steps with 69, Shikhar Dhawan looked keen to leave a lasting imprint on the game, scoring an unbeaten 116 on Day Two as Delhi went to stumps at 248 for 3 — a lead of 177 runs. But in a game where Delhi are eyeing an outright win, Gujarat bowlers stuck to the policy of first bowling wide of the off stump, then bowling a defensive leg-stump line. But Dhawan wasn’t to be frustrated, though he did have his share of luck — a run out chance was missed when he was on 74, and on 79 he spooned a catch to Ishwar Chaudhary at mid-on but was dropped. Dhawan’s hundred came off 165 balls and was laced with 12 boundaries while Nagar’s half-century came from 63 deliveries, with seven boundaries and a six

Bengal vs Assam Day 2 : Shukla, Saha’s super show More... Shukla, Saha’s super show - All-rounder slams career-best 250 as ’keeper stays unbeaten on 178 A STAFF REPORTER Laxmi Ratan Shukla (left) and Wriddhiman Saha, at the Eden, on Thursday. A Telegraph picture Calcutta: Laxmi Ratan Shukla and Wriddhiman Saha together conjured up a cricketing spectacle Thursday that more than erased any memory of the wobbly start that Bengal made on Day I of the Ranji Trophy Super League match against Assam. The Bengal duo fired on all cylinders to close the day at an imposing total of 562 for six wickets. Shukla was the man of the moment having notched up a career-best 250 runs off 371 balls which included 35 boundaries and three sixes. Wicket-keeper Saha was not far behind as he too smashed a career-best unbeaten 178 runs. Together they stitched a record 6th wicket partnership of 417 runs, for Bengal. The hosts were on the attack from the word go and the first one hour was enough to know that they meant business. Right through their match against Mumbai last week, Bengal dropped catches and got punished with centuries and a double century. Thursday was payback time, at Assam's expense. Resuming on 257 for five, Wriddhiman Saha and Laxmi Ratan Shukla began Day II circumspectly while Assam, armed with a two-over-old second new ball, sought to make the most of the first hour when the Eden wicket has something for the medium-pacers. Assam's big opportunity came, and went, in the ninth over of the day, 97th of the innings, when Dhiraj Goswami was introduced. Shukla, having added just three runs to his overnight 75, edged Goswami and the ball flew to the right of Kunal Saikia, who was wrong-footed. The former Bengal captain, playing his 100th first-class match, made Assam pay for the miss and how. By the time Bengal declared on 562 for six, Shukla had scored 250 off 371 balls with 35 fours and three sixes before getting bowled by a chinaman from S Sriram. Saha was not out on 178 (355 balls, 4x15, 6x2). Saha and Shukla, who joined hands with Bengal in disarray at 126 for five, added 417 runs for the sixth wicket. This is the highest for the sixth wicket in Ranji Trophy and the third-highest for that wicket in first-class cricket. Needing 413 to avoid the follow-on on a wicket that is good for batting, Assam were 10 for no loss at stumps. Shukla and Saha were meticulous in demolishing the backbone of Assam’s pace bowling in the first half of the day as one by one Abu Nechim Ahmed, Dhiraj Goswami and Ranjit Mali failed to contain the explosive twosome. They made short work of the opponents’ field set-up and sent them on a leather hunt. The spinners, especially, had no answer to the twin terrors who were unforgiving in their clever and unorthodox shots all over the stadium. Shukla hit Arlen Konwar (one for 174) for three boundaries and two sixes in an over. In the last one hour, both Shukla and Saha slammed boundaries and sixes at a dizzying pace, and it almost seemed never ending. However, the left-arm spin of Sridharan Sriram found success when he castled Shukla. Previously, Shukla was granted life twice, thanks to Assam ’keeper Kunal Saikia, who was at his butter-finger best. Saha, too, faced a run-out scare when on 99. Shukla, however, had to call a runner in Abhishek Jhunjhunwala when he pulled a muscle. Though that might have slowed the pace of the runs, it was not enough to stop the run-machine. Assam’s despondency was evident in their use of seven bowlers, but unfortunately none could make any difference. While they face the tough challenge of overcoming Bengal’s mountain of runs, Assam skipper Amol Muzumdar remains optimistic. “It will be a very interesting day tomorrow (Friday). The wicket is very flat. It is as good as it can get… So we will have to make the full use of that and score.” The onus will be on the experience of Muzumdar and Sriram to carry forth Assam’s endeavour. Muzumdar however has a different opinion. “It will be a team effort. Each and everyone has their responsibility. We all have to put our heads together and work along.” Muzumdar applauded the efforts of the heroes of the day: “Both Laxmi and Wriddhiman did a commendable job. They exhibited class.” At stumps, Assam were 10 without loss, with Dheeraj Jadhav and Shib Shankar Roy at the crease. Bengal captain Manoj Tiwary, however, didn’t take the field as he was suffering from high fever. He is expected to be available Friday. An answer to the critics: Shukla Calcutta: The Bengal duo of Laxmi Ratan Shukla and Wriddhiman Saha ran riot on Day Two of their Ranji Trophy Super League tie, against Assam, on Thursday. And both of them were happy with their performance. “It is a great feeling… very special for me. It is a 250 and that, too, in my 100th first-class match. I am happy because the team needed it and I delivered when it mattered most,” the right-handed batsman said after the day’s play. Despite playing such a long innings Shukla said he would be able to bowl as the fifth bowler. “Of course, I will be available, if required. It is challenging both physically and mentally to carry on. But, I am up for it,” he insisted Asked if there was any particular plan ahead of the day, Shukla said: “We pretty much had this score as a plan. We needed to stay put and bring the runs on. That’s what we did. I did not play under any pressure.” He also felt the knock would silence his critics. “This is an answer to the critics. They will keep their mouth shut now,” he said. Shukla didn’t forget remind the role of Bengal coach Woorkeri Raman behind his success. “I am grateful to my coach (. Raman). I am honoured that he kept faith in me and stood by me. He helped me with keeping my mental composure and patience,” he said. Shukla also praised Wriddhiman’s knock but refused to comment on the team management’s decision to declare when Saha could have got his double. “It’s a decision of the team management.” Wriddhiman also said he was not disappointed. “It does not affect me at all. The team is always the priority.” The diminutive wicket-keeper said he was not under any pressure. “There wasn’t any pressure. There was a need for a big total, and I am happy we could do it.” Asked if the upcoming World Cup was on his mind, Saha said that he was concentrating on one match at a time and was not thinking about the mega event. “I am taking one match at a time. World Cup is a far away matter and I am not even thinking about it,” he added. Assam skipper Amol Muzumdar heaped praises on the duo for their commendable job. “They did a commendable job. Keeping in mind that they came together when Bengal were 126 for five, it’s not a joke. They really put their heads together and pulled it off.”

Railway allrounder Anureet Singh on fire against Mumbai More... Anureet on fire against Mumbai Abhijeet Kulkarni, Hindustan Times Mumbai, November 18, 2010 The much-criticised Bandra-Kurla Complex pitch is finally going to produce a result. The Mumbai-Railways Ranji Trophy tie could produce an exciting finish. On Day Two of the Elite league match, the pendulum swung both ways with Railways getting the edge initially. By the end of the day, the defending champions fought back, courtesy Ramesh Powar’s heroics. But before that, Anureet Singh toiled in the Delhi pre-season nets for about four years before deciding to shift westward, towards the Karnail Singh Stadium, to get his career on track. On Thursday, a slight movement off the wicket was enough for the 22-year-old to wreak havoc in the Mumbai batting order and keep Railways in the hunt in the Super League Group A encounter. Anureet finished with five for 52 to help Railways bundle out Mumbai for 219 and concede only an 18-run lead. The visitors, however, failed to build on the foundation provided by the bowlers, losing three wickets in their second essay with just 64 runs on board, a lead of 46 runs. Off-spinner Ramesh Powar scalped two of the three wickets to fall and Railways will now bank on the experienced duo of Sanjay Bangar (19 not out) and Yere Goud (5 not out) to provide the former champions an opportunity to press for an outright victory. First, the stocky all-rounder scored a crucial 36 and added 63 runs for the seventh wicket with Prashant Naik (30) to help his side gain a slender 18-run lead after Railways pacerAnureet Singh dismissed the Mumbai top order cheaply. Then, he accounted for two batsmen in the Railways’ second innings, leaving them struggling at 64 for three. At stumps, Sanjay Bangar (19) and Yere Goud (5) were at the crease. Powar extracted turn and bounce and claimed the wickets of M Suresh (28) and TP Singh (28) after pacer Dhaval Kulkarni had dismissed opener V Cheluvaraj for a duck. Earlier, the Mumbai top order, barring Sahil Kukreja (50) and Ajinkya Rahane (43), came a cropper. Anureet bowled well, claiming the wickets of Kukreja, Rahane and Rohit Sharma (1). Jaffer (1), who has been in roaring form this season, was sent home cheaply by Bangar. Iqbal Abdulla (29) showed his usefulness with the bat by playing some fine strokes before being trapped plumb in front of the wickets. He smashed six boundaries. With 45 short of Railways’ total of 201, Powar and Prashant Naik put up a brave show and fought the odds to take Mumbai past Railways’ first innings total. Powar’s innings of 36 was studded with two huge sixes and three hits to the fence. With two days left, Mumbai have a good chance to score their first outright win of the season but they should be wary of bowlers like Murali Kartik and, of course, the first innings hero Anureet. Sometimes we stare so long at a door that’s closing that we refuse to look at the one’s that are opening at the same time. But Anureet Singh is the complete opposite. Every time a door closed on him, he quickly moved on to the next opportunity. Nothing, he believed, could stop him from succeeding at cricket. The Railways medium pacer ran through the Mumbai batting line-up, picking up five wickets in the process and restricting the Ranji champions to just 219 in their first innings. The 18-run lead was vital for Mumbai but Anureet’s effort ensured that his side still has a good chance of winning the game. The story of the day, however, was Anureet. More so, when you consider that he chose bowling early in his career because it meant that he did not have to buy a bat. Despite being talented and having a good head on his shoulders, Anureet the Delhi and District Cricket association for almost two years without a call-up to the state team, he decided to migrate to the Railways. He quickly earned a place in a the under-22 team and there under the tutelage of current Railways coach Abhay Sharma, he continued to grow even earning a spot on the Kolkata Knight Riders playing XI. Then came a back injury that kept him out of cricket for over a year. He didn’t play any games for KKR and even missed out on Ranji matches for the whole of last season. This year, too, he was dropped for the first two games and in that sense, this was very much a comeback game for him and what a comeback it was. Early on in the first session, Anureet kept banging it short but then a quiet word from skipper Murali Kartik quickly brought him back on track. “Skipper just came to me and said ‘just try and keep a good line and length.’ And that’s what I did. The ball was moving off the pitch and I realised that if I get my line right, I can trouble the batsmen,” said Anureet. While Anureet was thrilled with his performance, Mumbai will be sorely disappointed. They had the opportunity to drive home the advantage but failed primarily due to bad shot selection. Iqbal Abdullah (29 off 28 balls) played a god knock after coming in when Mumbai were reduced to 121 for 5. And Ramesh Powar’s 36 was vital too as it helped give Mumbai the lead. The pitch is still helping the spinners a lot and while it is decided that the game will have an outright result, it’s very difficult to pick a winner. In the end, it might just come down to nerves.

. Remember Ajitesh Argal from the u19 in Singapore the team with Kohli, Abdulla,Sangwan, etc? He looks to have remodeled his action from what I recall from the u19's. Doesnt use the left arm at all in his action and thus falls over and has trouble controlling the line.
i played with argal in bhopal.:(( i feel sad for him too, kohli,goswami and pandey far ahead from him in success.
Sir John are you from Bhopal? which school Rayudu right now is in leagues of Kohli, Dhawan, Rohit, Badri, Rahane, Manish Pandey as the next set of talented batsmen to lead India. I hope he gets his chance
no i am not from bhopal,you are from bhopal?:hmmmm: i give all my competitive exam from bhopal,so i usually visit there every month during 2007,-08-09 i see argal there,he is very tidy line length bowler.