NBA Thread

head coach

True Apo but I don't think Spurs really needed that. Call Spurs boring, one-track, pretty-hard-to-watch etc etc but they are not a scheming team, nor do they need to. They have won many a rings by simple hard work. The foul in the game by Robert Horry was a spur of the moment thing, just as Amarie and Diaw's reaction were. It should have have been left with a reprimand, or maybe some action Post-season. In the end the decision went against Suns, rather than in favour of Spurs and it pretty much screwed the Playoffs really. xxx

If this turns out to be a Spur-Pistons finals then rest assured a good amount of NBA fans would switch their television off. NBA has been struggling to reach out to new audiences(one reason why they are going bullish on Europe and Asia). By most accounts NBA saw its golden era(in terms of viewership) between early 80 and late 90s when hotshots like Magic, Bird and Jordan ruled the roost. Part of their charm was to do the unthinkable. Since Jordan retired we have had a bunch of pretenders ready to step in his shoes but of course they have all flattered to deceive. No NBA fans turns up to watch a team with great defense. Most of us, if not all, want a high scoring games with ample dunks, cross court 3 and so on. This is one reason why teams like Dallas and Phoenix Suns are popular. They run hard and score as much as they can. A Spur-Piston finals would most likely look like a 82-78 score at the end and who the hell wants to see that? xxx PS: Predator the decision on Amarie/Diaw was the worst I have seen in a long time. Suns coach D'Antoni said it best - "It didnt benefit Spurs, it didnt benefit fans, it certainly didnt benefit us, so what was the use?"
It was typical of David Stern though. He is a retard and a kill-joy as well. IT doesn't really make any difference though as i think the Spurs would have won anyway. The Jazz and to a lesser extent, the Cavs are boring teams as well, so in a way - PIstons vs Spurs is the best you can hope for. It's a real shame that GSW didn't progress. It's good that NBA are going bullish in Asia and Europe. For good reason too, as their market has greater potential than the domestic market. The game is HUGE in Europe and is attracting viewers in Asia (read China) as well thanks to Yao Ming. The #3 pick in this season's NBA draft (after Oden and Durant) is a Chinese kid. There are plenty of European players in the NBA - more than ever before and Nowitzki's MVP win will be the first of many more. Last night you saw the likes of Parker (French), Kirilenko (Ukrainian ?), Okur (Turkish) and Ginobili (Argentine) starting for their teams. I believe that in approx 20 years, the NBA will be no different from the NHL or the MLB in terms of team composition and # of foreigners. Who knows, maybe they will produce a Jordan ?

Well, we will soon find out. The Cavs destroyed the Pistons yesterday in a frantic 4th quarter. LeBron was double and triple teamed at times, but the others contributed enough for the Cavs to come through in the end. The kid Gibson looked unstoppable; hitting threes like Baron Davis I really don't think that they will repeat that performance vs SA though. Sure, their defence is excellent but Parker and Ginobili are far better than Prince and Hamilton - not to mention the fact that SA have arguably the best player in the NBA in Duncan. I also don't think that they will win matches vs a team like SA unless LeBron comes to the party scoring 30 points or more. LeBron will be double marked, kids like Gibson won't hit those threes in every game, and when that happens the Cavs will find themselves chasing. But then again, what the f*ck do i know - i thought the Mavs would play the Heat in the finals :haha:

If Cavs wins this one Lebron James would be the undisputed best player of the league, and perhaps generation as well. He has thus far done his reputation no harm and in his own style put the likes of Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett etc etc in their place. Has gone on to show how a person can lift his team around if he has talent and focus. Go Cavs!! :fight:

hahaha, what a performance by the Spurs. LeBron was OWNED...he hardly even got to the basket and was restricted to hitting tame jump shots. Duncan was IMMENSE, not just in point scoring under the basket but his defence was brilliant as well. The highlights of his solid defensive performance being the moment when he smothered LeBron in the middle of a lay-up and then knocked one away from Varejao. Ginobili was superb, and Parker unstoppable. The Frenchman will score 20+ in every game of this series, IMO. Against the Pistons, the Cavs claimed they were better in the first two matches which was true to a certain extent, but this time there was no doubt as to which side was better.

I doubt that. Had the Pistons made it, then yes - i wouldn't have cared. But the Cavs are the underdogs and no one thought they would make it this far. There is also the LeBron factor; I'm keen on seeing whether he can he hold his own against the best when the Championship is on the line. The amount of hype he generates is ridiculous...