What do we do with Sehwag now ?

^ How about Vic Richards Predz ? He thrived on hand eye coordination i thought.
I assume you mean Viv Richards... Viv was a Sehwag with hand-eye coordination but he had a near-Tendulkar technique too against pacemen. Viv's weakness was that he couldn't play quality spin on spin-friendly tracks. But Viv did play a LONG time. Don't forget that he played till he was 40 and his eyesight started deteiorating when he was 35+ or so. People forget that a lot of those WI greats played till very old age and if WI played as many tests as AUS, people like Viv, Greenidge, Lloyd etc. would be sitting at 10,000+ runs. Most of those guys retired around 39-40 years of age.

All the discussion here on how Sehwag is better than the current crop seems like wishful thinking. Would you rather have a short entertaining innings from Sehwag or a long grafty innings from Jaffer or Karthik - I will take the later. Seems like lots of folks care more about aesthetics than results. Sehwag on current form is worse than Kaif or Raina we cant keep on hoping that he will perform one day. Let him perform in the domestics or go to country cricket and show what he can do.

Viv was a Sehwag with hand-eye coordination but he had a near-Tendulkar technique too against pacemen.
huh.... Viv defied MCC book.... he could swat a perfect length ball arriving at 145 kph about to hit off-bail and deposit in the 5 row of the stands near square leg... and the next one on his legs would be safely dposited inside out over extra cover... Viru, IMO, has not lost his form completely in tests... he is still effective... it is jus the retarded Colonel who dropped him from tests, cos of odi performance..... STOOPID MOFO.... Viru was never even a good odi player, leave great...
But Viv did play a LONG time. Don't forget that he played till he was 40 and his eyesight started deteiorating when he was 35+ or so..
They all start deteriorating as they progress through their 30's. In my experience - Slater, Damien Martyn finished their careers after a few poor seasons as their reflexes began to dwindle and currently Trescothick, Flintoff, Jayasuriya seem to be going through these motions as well. Even Gilchrist - even though he isnt predominantly HEC in style of batting - isn't as sharp as he was before, as reflected by his awful season in '06. Happens to everyone. Ganguly's career should have been finished after the '05 Test series vs PAK. Only in India could a player like him survive for so long, despite being well past his expiration date. He can still play, as we saw in SA recently, but how long will he last ?
All the discussion here on how Sehwag is better than the current crop seems like wishful thinking. Would you rather have a short entertaining innings from Sehwag or a long grafty innings from Jaffer or Karthik - I will take the later. Seems like lots of folks care more about aesthetics than results. Sehwag on current form is worse than Kaif or Raina we cant keep on hoping that he will perform one day. Let him perform in the domestics or go to country cricket and show what he can do.
Like they say, cream & the cr@p both rise to the top. Difference between Sehwag & the rest will surface when we play big games vs big opponents. Until then we wont know

Sehwag is not bad but he was never a regular opener. He did exceedingly well because of his flambuoyance and aggressive batting. He has had his share of successes and failures. I would like to see him in the middle order. For any team to win in test cricket the opening is very crucial. A team does really well when openers can put together anything over 50 runs. Sehwag at the moment may score a hundred in about 8-10 innings but will fail about 5-6 times to even get to double digits. Can India afford that what with Jaffer also in the inconsistency list? Certainly not. I would take the Jaffer-Karthik combination at the top of the order for now and see Sehwag in the middle order or even lower middle order.

Guest dada_rocks

we are being blinded by sehwag's one day form.. in test cricket after a long time he failed in series against south africa..........In my opinion footwork is over-rated moreover on the flip side of lack of footwork is impeccable balance.. how many players have balance of sehwag while playing those booming off-drives....