Wanderers' will be a catastrophe for India

Dhondy

Re: Wanderers' will be a catastrophe for India

... IMO, he deserves to play this line-up ahead of Ganguly, Laxman, Tendulkar and Jaffer. He is India's best player of pace behind Dravid, and has a wonderful temparament. IMO, he should play ahead of Tendulkar. This series will end Sachin, Laxman and Ganguly's careers.
Sorry doc but you had a shocker here :lol::lol: Lesson learnt is not to pick a team based on 1 warm up game and look at what people achieve over a period of time. Remeber, Class is permanent and form is temporary :wtg:

Re: Wanderers' will be a catastrophe for India Jaffer needs to continue before being dumped for good. He has to score at some point this series, one assumes. I would persist with him for another series before bringing Gambhir back in. VRV is a better bowler than Pathan. If Munaf is not fit, I would go in with the same combination. And even if Pathan is picked, I don't want him anywhere near the new ball.

Re: Wanderers' will be a catastrophe for India I'd go with Jaffer for atleast one more test match. He should be slightly more used to conditions by now. Gambhir hasn't had any match practise, Pathan is a complete unknown as test-opener, and asking Dravid to open is not a very safe plot because he is coming back after an injury and is little away from his best form.

Re: Wanderers' will be a catastrophe for India Finally some people talking sense :hail: I would certainly stick with Jaffer even though I am big Gambhir fan and feel he deserves come back chance. VRV is better bowler then Pathan, but Pathan better bat. I would stick with VRV. Pathans bowling is so poor at the moment. At least VRV hits the keepers gloves, who knows he may come of on his day.

Yoda why is pathan a better bat then jaffer and gambhir, cos of batting well in one warm up game. Be very very careful to judge a player on one game. He has potential as lower order bat but frontline bat, NO CHANCE.
Not one game. Based on watching him bat in tests, he has shown an ability to bat with the straight bat, has a lot of strokes. But the proof will be in the pudding. If he has to play the new ball, I donno if he will deliver. By the way Ravi Shastri was a lower order bat/spinner before being promoted to open. One advantage of Pathan opening (if he can) is that he gives us a free bowler whom we can use on a needed limited basis.

Re: Wanderers' will be a catastrophe for India Nice in theory. Lets see over a longer period if he can deliver. Rather then throw him in to a test match as front line batter. Tests are not the place for such crazy risks in selection. We need batters who will consistently score runs and big runs. A minimnum average of 40 in top 6 batters is a must. I do not feel Pathan will do that. Let him prove he can score runs and big runs in domestic cricket like others do before giving him a top batting slot.

Re: Wanderers' will be a catastrophe for India If jaffer didnt score in last 6-8 chances in SA.. what are the chances that he will make it now?? he just cant play against likes of pollock and ntini.. and now I dont want gambhir either because he didnt even play any practice game.. and dont want any other to open either since we won the first test.. so i guess we are back to veeru and jaffer..

VRV is a better bowler than Pathan? I feel like passing a ton of flatus when I hear that kind of statement. Let's compare their Test bowling stats, shall we?
Not based on stats. Based on what I have seen on the field. Pathan of late has been bowling nothing but short pitched wide outside the off ready to be smacked deliveries. I would pick him only for his batting. He is finished as a test bowler as far as I am concerned. We can use him as the 5th option, not the 4th.

Yoda, Pathan was once a very good Test bowler, and can be again. It's just a matter of time and regaining some confidence. We need to back him. He'll come good.
I don't think so. He might have to go back to FC and come back. I am interested in getting Balaji back if fit.