Who should be the new coach?

Chandan even if you argue the game has gone professional or changed, I don't see much difference really. What is that this team has achieved having Chappell as coach in the last year? I'm not saying a coach will not contribute but for a coach to produce results he needs in form players. In the past India had only one coach and an assistant. They had to run the training sessions, batting sessions, bowling sessions and also liaise with the technical staff. Now with fielding coach and the bowling coach in place India can do with out a coach for a series or two. Just send someone like Ravi Shastri with them to manage the media. The young cricketers are the ones needing coaching. There can’t be a better batting coach than say Sachin Tendulkar or Rahul Dravid. If they did well without a coach against Bangladesh they won’t have a problem going to England with out an official coach.

I don't think they did that well against BD but considering the tough conditions, and no practice matches and all, it was okay. Would you like the same performance vs England too? They'll easily whitewash us! Whoever is/was/would have been the coach, I'm not expecting this team to defeat England. But I was expecting them to be competitive and make England earn the victory if they're a better team. But under the present scenario, I can't see that happening. You think all the countries are fools that they're having a head-coach? Coaches are needed not to coach bowling or batting or anything but to help the players, to form a strategy, to do a planning, to take the pressure off the captain off the field and plan again according to the situation. And we all know that Rahul Dravid dearly needs that help. A manager can't do that. And since Shastri is not available, who can you mention as "like Shastri"?

I don't think they did that well against BD but considering the tough conditions, and no practice matches and all, it was okay. Would you like the same performance vs England too? They'll easily whitewash us! Whoever is/was/would have been the coach, I'm not expecting this team to defeat England. But I was expecting them to be competitive and make England earn the victory if they're a better team. But under the present scenario, I can't see that happening. You think all the countries are fools that they're having a head-coach? Coaches are needed not to coach bowling or batting or anything but to help the players, to form a strategy, to do a planning, to take the pressure off the captain off the field and plan again according to the situation. And we all know that Rahul Dravid dearly needs that help. A manager can't do that. And since Shastri is not available, who can you mention as "like Shastri"?
We all know the kind of strategy Chappell formulated and its results :thumbs_down: What rubbish is this head coach? Do you think the coaches sit leisurely and formulate plans day and night? Are you aware the team meetings happen on the day of the game and the technical staff provide the team management (includes coach) with their inputs. Based on that inputs the team management work. You think fielding coach, bowling coach and technical coach is not sufficient to handle these for about a series? As per your statement the old timers never really formulated any plans is that? I don't say the team doesn't need a hand at all, they sure do but how many do they need? On one breath you say you are unhappy with the Bangladesh series results (without full time coach) and on the other you make no judgement about the World cup results where we had a full time coaching professional in Chappell.

Chappell is no example to give. He was a failure--as simple as that. Why won't I take John Wright's example? What he did with the struggling team which had been whitewashed in Australia as well as at home is well known. How he made our players improve their fitness, how he expanded the coaching staff, by having a trainer, computer expert etc is also well known. Why won't I go on that example?

Here's the formula: Retire Sach, Gangs, Anil, and VVS immediately. They only have value for the short term. Make one of them the coach, probably Kumble. Before you long suffering Indian fans throw up your hands in dismay, think about it. What do you want? A few more very slow centuries from Sach and VVS? A few more wickets from the wonderful Anil? Your future lies in a fresh culture. Players such as Suresh Raina, Yuvi, Kaif and perhaps a young spinner like Piyush Chawla need to feel secure in the Test team for an extended period to produce the desired results.

Here's the formula: Retire Sach, Gangs, Anil, and VVS immediately. They only have value for the short term. Make one of them the coach, probably Kumble. Before you long suffering Indian fans throw up your hands in dismay, think about it. What do you want? A few more very slow centuries from Sach and VVS? A few more wickets from the wonderful Anil? Your future lies in a fresh culture. Players such as Suresh Raina, Yuvi, Kaif and perhaps a young spinner like Piyush Chawla need to feel secure in the Test team for an extended period to produce the desired results.
This post lost any little credability it had by mentioning Kaif as the future!
Chappell is no example to give. He was a failure--as simple as that. Why won't I take John Wright's example? What he did with the struggling team which had been whitewashed in Australia as well as at home is well known. How he made our players improve their fitness, how he expanded the coaching staff, by having a trainer, computer expert etc is also well known. Why won't I go on that example?
John Wright didn't have fielding, bowling, assistant coaches et al. When he asked for a bowling coach he was provided with Bruce Reid for about 2-3 weeks. BCCI even took time to appoint a technical assistant to provide the players with the videos of their performances on VCD. John Wright was running the training session, hearing all the team members grievances, was involved in team selection, running team meetings and a lot more. He was of mighty value to India. Now you have so many guys on board for coaching purposes I just don't see a head coach's value for short term goals. Robin Singh runs the fielding sessions and Venky runs a bowling session. There is batting stalwarts that can give first hand coaching sessions to the young ones. Now what will India lack if they don't go with a coach to England? Strategies, bowling changes, batting order can pretty much be decided by the captain and the rest of the team management. Please note that I'm mentioning about the short term goal i.e England tour. Rather than pick someone just to appease the public and rue later it is better they take time to appoint one. Coaches are for long term not for a short term.
You seem to have missed my point. In any case, how does one name negate the others? Obviously, most of you know the emerging talent better than I do so just substitute the next best candidate.
You know Donny everyone has their choice. DSR doesn't like Pathan and Kaif. It's as simple as that.
You know Donny everyone has their choice. DSR doesn't like Pathan and Kaif. It's as simple as that.
Not about like or dislike. Kaif is total cr#p and does not know how to hold a bat. He should never be selected EVER again! Pathan may have a future but only in 2 or 3 years time if he improves and shows on domestic circuit that he is the man with consistent stellar performances. His performances for over a year have been pathetic and should have been dropped ages ago!
Well said. I've been crying myself hoarse about this since the team's first round elimination at the World Cup. Drop the seniors and save Indian cricket.
Strategies, bowling changes, batting order can pretty much be decided by the captain and the rest of the team management. Please note that I'm mentioning about the short term goal i.e England tour. Rather than pick someone just to appease the public and rue later it is better they take time to appoint one. Coaches are for long term not for a short term.
For England tour, they hardly have time to appoint anyone. so let us forget that we'll have a coach for that tour. But we'll head straight for Twenty20 WC from England. Won't we need a coach there? Where will the coach get time to interact with the players! We are going to fail in the coming two tours certainly. Not because we won't have a coach but because there is no planning, no vision from the selectors. They have wasted 3 complete months since WC elimination to do nothing!
Drop the seniors and save Indian cricket.
Predator, I'm extremely interested in knowing what magic can our young players do. So let us assume that you are the selector and have dropped the "seniors" named Sachin, Dravid, VVS, Ganguly, Sehwag and Kumble. (should we drop Zaheer, Bhajji and few others too as they are seniors as well?) Please name their replacements in the test side for England series so that we can discuss what magic they'll create to save Indian cricket!
Predator, I'm extremely interested in knowing what magic can our young players do. So let us assume that you are the selector and have dropped the "seniors" named Sachin, Dravid, VVS, Ganguly, Sehwag and Kumble. (should we drop Zaheer, Bhajji and few others too as they are seniors as well?) Please name their replacements in the test side for England series so that we can discuss what magic they'll create to save Indian cricket!
Chandan, i don't give a sh*t who the replacements are. There are plenty of talented young cricketers out there. That isn't the point. I just want to see Indian cricket do away with the record hungry b@stards who are hindering the flow of talent into the team. Indian cricket team seen any new faces in the last 3 seasons and it's the same selection recycled again and again and again. India's penchant for sticking with the likes of Tendulkar, Sehwag, etc. year in and year out until the day they die wil leave them in a very difficult position once these greats decide to call it a day. By bringing in new players, at least the team can move on and plan for the future. Tendulkar, Ganguly, etc. and all your other beloved demi-gods have only a season or two left in them. Sure, the replacements won't yield good results at first but Indian cricket stands to gain a lot more from them in the long-term because they will develop and improve - the same can't be said for the peaked seniors. Why keep allowing them to play for the team when they have all become liabilities who are clearly past their best ?

I suppose Pred makes a good argument. Where are the young batters gone? We have couple of new faces in the bowling department which is not too bad but where are the batters? The batters are aging not the bowlers and I don't see anyone being groomed. I think it is time to say to few blokes to hang their boots in ODI at least and shove in some young ones. I think the likes of Tendulkar, Ganguly, Rahul should not even be featuring in the ODI side. Either way they don't produce good results with these stalwarts in the team so it wouldn't matter if the young ones lose few games. Lest one or two new ones may show some mettle. I'm OK as for bowling, they have picked couple of new ones.

Thats what I've been saying. At least Sachin, Rahul and Saurav should opt out from masala matches that we'll have in Ireland/scotland and try new faces there. I'll have Manoj Tiwari (unfortunately injured atm), Rohit Sharma and...??? Please tell us the name. Predator??

Excellent points overall although I wouldn't want Kumble retiring from tests any time soon or Kaif anywhere near our test/ODI teams. We don't know when to get rid of players. It is normally about 5 seasons too late.