Kolkata Korner: I read it so u won't have to

Guest dada_rocks

Guest dada_rocks

Salient points gleaned from this rather arduously long article. http://outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20070615&fname=kolkatakorner&sid=1&pn=2 Nandigram Simmers: Once again this week violence with gun-shot exahcnge erupted leading into casualties. Unfortunately cops can't go into Nandigram to seize arms without precipitating another bloodbath. CPI(M) leaders, including Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, are too arrogant, egoistic and hawkish to restrain their cadres. And the Trinamool and Opposition thus also have an excuse not to do so. So whither peace? Civic Mess: As usual with the advent monsoon of large part of Kolkata has turned into cesspool and mind you this is just the preview of rain-fury real event is still to happen. That's the price we have to pay for the decades of Communist rule under which this city was totally neglected (the rural areas didn't fare any better either, but that's another story). Not a single sewer or storm drain was constructed, while the existing ones built by our erstwhile British masters were allowed to decay, crumble or accumulate silt. Canals that would drain away excess water from the city were encroached on (under the active patronage of local politicians, especially of the red hue) and became small drains. Large stretches of marshy land in the eastern parts of Kolkata have been filled up and converted in residential and commercial complexes. Scowling Buddha: CM's car got stuck in the middle of waterlogged stree while he was on his way to the daily ritual of paying his obeisance at the state party office at Alimuddin Street. Apparently he does that every day along wiht Kerala and Tripura CMs. No marks for guessing which party is in power in these states. If the PM or no other CM need to visit their party offices every morning, why does Bhattacharjee need to do so? Contrast this to his once-a-week appearance at the state Assembly when it's in session. Is the total subservience of a CM to his party mandarins healthy for a democracy? Anyway so CM's car gets stuck but he can't step out in those murky waters like a commoner so he waits inside while hsi minions push it through to his party office where he finds ground floor flooded with water.First thing he did was to call Mayor and ask for explantion of this sacrilege (imagine filthy water entering the Marxist nerve center!). Suicidal Moves The importance of the wetlands in East Kolkata--they're Ramsar sites--is known to all. These wetland act as the natural basin into which all the excess rainwater that gets accumulated in the city drains. The wetlands also host a unique ecosystem that treats, through a natural process, Kolkata's sewage. It now appears that the Bengal government, far from learning any lessons from its past mistakes, is pushing for more constructions in the wetlands. Two projects deserve mention-a private aquatic park spread over 350 acres in the area that has been declared a 'no development' zone by the Calcutta High Court. And the proposed zoo there. The Court, environmental experts and citizens' groups have been warning against any move to alter the character of whatever little is left of the wetlands. But our Marxist rulers aren't bothered. And it is their lack of concern that'll sound the death knell for Kolkata not in the distant future. Anarchist Streak ( I must say little exaggeration has been used here which scribe so often do to put their point across and get people talking): Do Bengalis love chaos, disorderliness and bedlam and are devoted to breaking laws and rules? In other words, do they have an anarchist streak in them? I would think so. Bengalis would be the only people to light up just next to 'No Smoking' signs in buses, railway stations and other public places. They make it a point to jay walk or cross a busy road at any place they want to. Motorists will always park their vehicles at 'no parking' spots. They'll never get their vehicles checked for emission. Bengalis love to dodge taxes and derive some perverted pleasure from challenging authority in whichever way they can. They have the strange fascination for encroaching on government land or neighbours' properties. The result is there for all to see: the chaos on our roads, the filth and squalour that envelops this city, the concrete jungle that Kolkata has become, the mound of land and property-related litigation that our courts are bogged down by, and the scant regard for the law that's on such shameful and sad display all over. Is this the reason that Bengal lags behind in all aspects?

Do Bengalis love chaos, disorderliness and bedlam and are devoted to breaking laws and rules? In other words, do they have an anarchist streak in them? I would think so. Bengalis would be the only people to light up just next to 'No Smoking' signs in buses, railway stations and other public places. They make it a point to jay walk or cross a busy road at any place they want to. Motorists will always park their vehicles at 'no parking' spots. They'll never get their vehicles checked for emission. Bengalis love to dodge taxes and derive some perverted pleasure from challenging authority in whichever way they can. They have the strange fascination for encroaching on government land or neighbours' properties. The result is there for all to see: the chaos on our roads, the filth and squalour that envelops this city, the concrete jungle that Kolkata has become, the mound of land and property-related litigation that our courts are bogged down by, and the scant regard for the law that's on such shameful and sad display all over. Is this the reason that Bengal lags behind in all aspects?
the same is applicable to almost abt almost all indians and not just bengalis most of the indians are indisciplined lot whether it be in chennai delhi mumbai bihar wherever all those thing you mentioned are common in allthe cities whether it be delhi mumbai...wherever in india .so just to say bengalis tend to be more indisciplined or the most indisciplined lot i guess wud be wrong ...thats my view neways....

Guest dada_rocks
the same is applicable to almost abt almost all indians and not just bengalis most of the indians are indisciplined lot whether it be in chennai delhi mumbai bihar wherever all those thing you mentioned are common in allthe cities whether it be delhi mumbai...wherever in india .so just to say bengalis tend to be more indisciplined or the most indisciplined lot i guess wud be wrong ...thats my view neways....
Yes it's prevament everywher in india but my persoanl expereince says in kolkata probaability of call-for-band with red-flag flashing all over is more than the rest of the India. In three months of my stay never a day passed without me bumping into some kind of road-block organized by some flag-wielders. And u wud think with this kind of political activism and with a single part in power uninterrupted since more than 30 years all the grievances at least basic ones might have been addressed by now. PS: This is not my article it's just the gleaned points from article of some majumdaar most probably a resident of Kolkata.

Yes it's prevament everywher in india but my persoanl expereince says in kolkata probaability of call-for-band with red-flag flashing all over is more than the rest of the India. In three months of my stay never a day passed without me bumping into some kind of road-block organized by some flag-wielders. And u wud think with this kind of political activism and with a single part in power uninterrupted since more than 30 years all the grievances at least basic ones might have been addressed by now.
well thats true I heard about this strilke being called every second day mostly by some workers union or the other . since u have been there i guess those stories must be true then. sad state of affairs indeed .i know thats not your article .I was just commentin on the last paragraph in ur earlier post

In three months of my stay never a day passed without me bumping into some kind of road-block organized by some flag-wielders. And u wud think with this kind of political activism and with a single part in power uninterrupted since more than 30 years all the grievances at least basic ones might have been addressed by now.
It is a known fact amongst all Bengalis that 90% of road-block/bandhs are called for/organized by Congress-Trinamul.

Guest dada_rocks
It is a known fact amongst all Bengalis that 90% of road-block/bandhs are called for/organized by Congress-Trinamul.
I don't know who were those procession-peddlers but flag invariably used to be of red hue . So unless even congress has mazdoor unions with red flag I am not buying ur theory. Will have to give one thing though commuting was dirt-cheap. Given my love for fish food was not only cheap but also top-notch and then there was feeling of at home in widely prevalent Bihar-like chaos. :giggle:

I don't know who were those procession-peddlers but flag invariably used to be of red hue
Or white with a hand in the middle (congress).
So unless even congress has mazdoor unions with red flag I am not buying ur theory.
I don't care what you buy/don't buy. Unlike you, i don't put 'theories' about places i've hung out for only a couple of months- what i am stating is a FACT and this FACT is known by all bengalis as well as non-bengalis who follow PROPER news sources concerning Bengal. I repeat: it is a FACT that most bandhs/road-blocks are called for by Congress-Trinamul and that has been the case since i started noticing Bangla politics in 94.

Guest dada_rocks

When u say Fact it might do ur credibility world of good if u could throw sthg other than ur chest-thumping. haven't we seen many a socalled fact of yours lying in tatters little too often aftre slightest of scrutiny. So please do the bare minimum for corroborating ur socalled fact. Yes last time i checked I wasn't color-blind and could see diff between red and white. Anyway point was the penchant of bengalis for road-block source notwithstanding

When u say Fact it might do ur credibility world of good if u could throw sthg other than ur chest-thumping.
What do you want ? Ask any bengali- its always the congress/trinamul that is calling bandhs..that is a FACT because its the ones out of power that does bandhs the most ! And if you want confirmation of that- go browse through the archives of Anandabazar patrika and you will find that 90% of the bandhs are called by non CPM parties.
Anyway point was the penchant of bengalis for road-block source notwithstanding
We have already established your racism towards Bengalis..i suggest you desist from commenting about Bengalis.