F1 in India.. what waste of money !

Ram

I dont give one hoot about how popular F1 becomes in India...its far more important as to how much money F1 will generate for India.
I would like to end this with the same response as what I said to GP. If a sports is driven by MONEY then I want no part of it.
Nowhere. India is more of a footballing superpower than F1.
Thanks..Another sporting reason bites the dust then. :haha:

If a sports is driven by MONEY then I want no part of it.
Even if it brings in 100s of millions of dollars to the local economy and does wonders for the local people's lives ? So basically, chest-thumping rights and 'promoting popularity' is more important to you than business ventures that make money and EVERYBODY is the winner...ludicrous doesnt even begin to encapsulate your views on this!
Thanks..Another sporting reason bites the dust then. :haha:
Why are you hell-bent on applying sporting reasons to something that is NOT a sport ?!

Then we can close this discussion as we would never come to a conclusion and I do not want to waste my time, and yours. Money, to me, is very important in a sports but the day money starts driving a sport, the sport loses all its charm, innocence and appeal. Brazil's soccer team is world champion precisely because of love of the game as is Australian cricket team. As for money driven English clubs or BCCI well we both know where they stand, dont they? xxxx
Your argument seems to have jumped the point completely. The thread starts out with "its a waste of money that could be going to the poor". We argue against that (I would say conclusively). You then argue about how sport shouldnt be money driven. What has this got to do with India raking in $$$ exactly? What do you care about a sport you dont follow being money driven? We are discussing why India should have F1 - and you are not presenting a single reason why not. What possible objection could you have to India earning money? I think you are arguing only to save face at this point frankly.

I think you are arguing only to save face at this point frankly.
Its a free world GP and all powers to you for thinking what you feel like. My stance has all along been along sporting lines. Check right from my first post. Why should we invest in a sport that in NOT popular in Indian fans? Why should we invest in a sport where India is NOT any good? And the reasons I get is all on one line - MONEY. I refuse to kow-tow that line of thinking. Specially dislike the idea that it is MONEY that drives any SPORTS and not the other way around. Sorry don't want any part of such a thought process. xxx

Even if it brings in 100s of millions of dollars to the local economy and does wonders for the local people's lives ? So basically, chest-thumping rights and 'promoting popularity' is more important to you than business ventures that make money and EVERYBODY is the winner...ludicrous doesnt even begin to encapsulate your views on this!
Exactly - I dunno how the hell anyone can complain about something on sporting grounds when its gonna give Indians money!!!!!

Two things. Firstly you suggest that this is primarily for revenue. Which is basically another support on the whole MONEY saga. My criticism for F1, a sports, is mostly based on sporting reasons. While the supports of F1 are basing all their supports of non-sporting reasons. That is kinda hilarious no? I mean I would have loved to see the reasons why F1 will be popular in India, not why F1 will make money. Secondly, witnessing another Indian racing a Formula 1 is a different cup of tea. He may, he may not. As karthik showed we do not need a F1 base to have that. That merits a question. Where does India, as a country, rank in F1 circuit? F1 supporters please throw some light. xxxx
Obviously monetary benefits are going to be the influence. But what i notice is that you are completely disregarding the sporting aspect of it. Think of what this will do for the future of Indian racing. Kids will feel inspired when they see those cars moving at 350 kmph an hour. More opportunities will open up for those who want to pursue racing. I think the prospect of seeing an Indian racer in F1 is ENOUGH reason to proceed with this project. So there ARE sporting reasons for this as well but without money, it's a non-starter. Karthikeyan isn't that great a driver, BTW. He didn't make it entirely on merit. His signing on for Jordan 2 years ago (and signing for Williams as a test driver last year) was symbolic. It served as F1's acknowledgement of India's potential, and the interest that this country has in the sport. Why do you keep shying away from the figures ? If 91 million people have time to spare for a live F1 broadcast, surely that says something about the public's interest ? ...and re; India's standing in F1 - really, why does that matter ? The thinking is long-term. Obviously India has no significant presence on the F1 stage at the moment, but that can change in the future if this project is provided with the support. Turkey, China, Bahrain host races every season now, and they have no "ranking" in F1 either. So going by your reasoning, I suppose they are wasting their time ?

What possible objection could you have to India earning money?
And this is a situation even better than cricket potentially... If we are to look at Montreal, they make 80 million bucks/year OUTSIDE of tv rights...ie, foods, hotels, services, corporate parties etc. for 100s of thousands of people that show up with the formula1 crowd. ( ps, Lurks, i dont think you have a concept about scale...imagine 50 double-axled heavy trucks pulling into your city and all its carrying is equipment...thats Formula1.) And this money is pumped directly into the economy...so no 'evil corrupt politician who swallows up 90% of the money' complex happening here.. Delhi makes shyteload of money, hotel,restaurant & services industry in Delhi make a killing, people who come to visit have a good time and shell out top dough...and someone has a problem with this ? WTF ?

Its a free world GP and all powers to you for thinking what you feel like. My stance has all along been along sporting lines. Check right from my first post. Why should we invest in a sport that in NOT popular in Indian fans? Why should we invest in a sport where India is NOT any good? And the reasons I get is all on one line - MONEY. I refuse to kow-tow that line of thinking. Specially dislike the idea that it is MONEY that drives any SPORTS and not the other way around. Sorry don't want any part of such a thought process. xxx
Lets fukc thousands of needy people over because of your views then :sad_smile:

You should stop watching sport then - what do you think cricket is driven by :haha:
In cricket money is a by-product. And of course when money takes the lead it screws the entire cricketing system, like it has for India. xxx

Lets fukc thousands of needy people over because of your views then :sad_smile:
Thats a predictable line of argument. As if bringing home F1 will help thousands of needy. Quick question. BCCI is the richest board in the world. How many "needy" Indians benefit by it?? xxx

In cricket money is a by-product. And of course when money takes the lead it screws the entire cricketing system, like it has for India. xxx
Money has screwed cricket is because cricket money isnt pumped into the local economy directly...its all through tv rights that are channeled through politician's coffers...Formula1 comes and your city people are overall richer by a few dozen million dollars atleast...all in the span of 3 days!! And again, Formula1 is not a sport. Its entertainment. Motor-racing is not a sport because sports is between people...not between machines like it is in F1.

Sporting integrity is more important than hundred of millions in India's pocket? WTF?! Even a person like me who dosent really give a **** about anyone else is taken aback by the sheer ludacris nature of this argument! Also - if you think any sport isnt money driven, you are sadly mistaken - what the hell do you think millions in sponsorship and stuff does for cricket? It aint the only sport India is good at for nothing.

Why should we invest in a sport that in NOT popular in Indian fans? Why should we invest in a sport where India is NOT any good? And the reasons I get is all on one line - MONEY.
I disagree. F1 races are watched in huge numbers, even in India. Go to any good bar between 530 and 7 PM on a raceday, and you will realise.

Thats a predictable line of argument. As if bringing home F1 will help thousands of needy. Quick question. BCCI is the richest board in the world. How many "needy" Indians benefit by it?? xxx
We have already covered this - read the last page. Do you think that only millionaries lay tarmac for F1 circuits? Do you think money in the hands of Mumbaikars wont find its way to shops, and then to farmers? Do you think an F1 track dosent need janitors and stuff? Seriously - wtf?!

Obviously monetary benefits are going to be the influence. But what i notice is that you are completely disregarding the sporting aspect of it. Think of what this will do for the future of Indian racing. Kids will feel inspired when they see those cars moving at 350 kmph an hour. More opportunities will open up for those who want to pursue racing. I think the prospect of seeing an Indian racer in F1 is ENOUGH reason to proceed with this project. So there ARE sporting reasons for this as well but without money, it's a non-starter.
You will have to excuse me if I do not agree with that line of thought. The proof of the pudding is in eating as they say and till date how many Indians have really done anything of note in this sports? By Indians I am willing to say Indians residing in India as well as abroad. Specially those in Europe where F1 is BIG. Why should I assume that Indians will become great at F1 is there is a F1 tournament in India? Would Indians become great at NBA as well if NBA was brought to India? Heck by all accounts basketball is indeed more popular in india than F1 so should we start a NBA leg in India as well?
Karthikeyan isn't that great a driver, BTW. He didn't make it entirely on merit. His signing on for Jordan 2 years ago (and signing for Williams as a test driver last year) was symbolic. It served as F1's acknowledgement of India's potential, and the interest that this country has in the sport. Why do you keep shying away from the figures ? If 91 million people have time to spare for a live F1 broadcast, surely that says something about the public's interest ?
I agree about Karthik. As for the viewership question I am not quite sure of that. I shall take your words for it but frankly I have not met too many people who support F1, my brother-in-law being an exception, and you would be hard pressed to find information about F1 in most popular Indian sports magazine. Surely 90 plus million viewer base would have translated into something substantial? No?
...and re; India's standing in F1 - really, why does that matter ? The thinking is long-term. Obviously India has no significant presence on the F1 stage at the moment, but that can change in the future if this project is provided with the support. Turkey, China, Bahrain host races every season now, and they have no "ranking" in F1 either. So going by your reasoning, I suppose they are wasting their time ?
Cant really speak for other countries. China is obviously an exception. They are second strongest sporting country today perhaps on way to becoming number 1. It is ridiculous to compare India with China. Turkey probably has European influence as F1 is HUGE in India. Bahrain..Tons of money to spend and nowhere to spend it at. Anyway those are my thoughts. There may be a reason why these countries support F1. Regardless I am not sure how you can compare India with them xx