India vs China - Is the Chinese economy in worse shape?

gorah_pindu

Y but i still maintain the purchasing power/wealth of the bottom 5% of the popln is what gives the real idea of the society.
And why would take as your criterion a proportion of the sample that is close to 2 SDs from the mean?

I chose that statistic because it is this strata of the society that determines the social fabric of that place. Crime , safety of a society is not determined by how many rich there are in a place, but how many poor peole that are there. And moreover , most of these analysis are done to decide what kind of welfare schemes need to implemented to improve the situation. By and large and top and middle half of the earning class are mostly insulated from the policies of the govt because they are either too rich to care or have a saved enough to adjust for sudden shocks. It is the bottom rung that feels the burden of sudden shifts in govt spending policies. We need to know what they are capable of spending .

Excellent point made there by CC. The numbers can often be mis-leading. And the worst part is , you have these world-bank sponsored studies to determine how rich/poor each place is. The loans are then awarded based on these findings. It takes just ONE biased economist in that team to completely change the nature of the report, by merely playing around with the numbers. So you have nations that really need the money losing out to their "contenders"..

I chose that statistic because it is this strata of the society that determines the social fabric of that place. Crime , safety of a society is not determined by how many rich there are in a place, but how many poor peole that are there. And moreover , most of these analysis are done to decide what kind of welfare schemes need to implemented to improve the situation. By and large and top and middle half of the earning class are mostly insulated from the policies of the govt because they are either too rich to care or have a saved enough to adjust for sudden shocks. It is the bottom rung that feels the burden of sudden shifts in govt spending policies. We need to know what they are capable of spending .
Good try, Sriram. GDP per capita is calculated as a comparator of wealth between nations, not to determine social fabrics or welfare schemes. It has very little value otherwise.

I have no idea what the economic measurement for 'distribution of wealth' in a society is, but without that benchmark, any discussion is meaningless. We dont wanna 'raise our PPP' by making a dozen billionaires and 100s of millionaires...we want to get up there with the average man having an even shot at life too.
There is such an index, CC. It's called the Gini coefficient, where a value of 0 represents perfect equality, while an index of 1 represents complete inequality. And sure enough, Canada scores ahead of USA.

Good try, Sriram. GDP per capita is calculated as a comparator of wealth between nations, not to determine social fabrics or welfare schemes. It has very little value otherwise.
Yes... most of these numbers are meaningless anyways. Looks good on T.V , but other than that -- worthless.

I am not too sure how true that is ! The chinese are engaged in a massive push into green/clean technologies. Infact , BBC ran a special news report saying how China could dominate the future of green technology business, the future bread-winner industry of the world. And yes , Norway is the model country for all ! Not Finalnd. I got the names confused. Their social model is sustainable, yet effective. I think UK too has got it pretty right in finding the balance between capitalism and the welfare state. France , on the other hand , has totally botched up in this regard.
believe me that is a ruse. the chinese are adopting some measures, no doubt, for instance they have this entire village being designed by william mcdonough of the cradle to cradle fame, and they are showing some interest in reneuable energy, but when it comes to stuff like reducing the number of coal powerplants, coal mining, strip mining, open roof mining, use of pollutants, tanning agents, using fuel effecient vehicles and employing demand response, they are eons behind the rest. be very very skeptical of any good news coming from china these days. they actually pay academics to promote china as a beacon of change and opportunity. believe it or not, they have often financed the research of economists who portray their economy in good light. and guess, what, while the united states is still the largest per capita producer of carbon dioxide, according to the dutch environmental agency's latest report, china overtook them in the total amount of CO2 produced per annum. at least in that aspect, we in india are better. we have traditional knowledge of the benefits of substinence agriculture and renewable energy. one of my dad's companies' vendors has just received an order to produce solar panels for the global market and they churn out about 5000 panels a day! the future of certain technologies is in india, where technical know how, combined with a system of checks and balances is ideal for economic surge.

Guest dada_rocks

Rest assured if chinese know the problem they must be working with zeal to fix it unlike us .... They are already experimenting with a fully environmentally-sustainable city after seeing how bad is pollution in cities liek shanghai. British consultancy firm Arup group is heading this green-city project called Dongtan.

They are already experimenting with a fully environmentally-sustainable city after seeing how bad is pollution in cities liek shanghai. British consultancy firm Arup group is heading this green-city project called Dongtan. ________________
News for you, vats: welcome to Public Relations 101.

Rest assured if chinese know the problem they must be working with zeal to fix it unlike us .... They are already experimenting with a fully environmentally-sustainable city after seeing how bad is pollution in cities liek shanghai. British consultancy firm Arup group is heading this green-city project called Dongtan.
read my post mate and then reconsider what you posted.

you guys hear the latest? chinese produce and chinese processed foods have been, and this is according to the state run agency which is notorious for diluting the truth... "deemed unfit for disposal in household trash". the food was found to contain toxins ranging for adultrants such as fecal matter, substandard food coloring, to carcinogens in massive toxic amounts such as benzene (of how the chinese love their benzene... when they are not putting it in their food, they put it in their rivers), arsenic and even toxic amounts of urea (yep, primary toxin in urine). mmmm.... bon appetit!