Hatton destroys Castillo

Dhondy

Castillo was rubbish. The HBO commentators (Lampley, Emanuel Steward and Kellerman) lauded Hatton's performance, but also made the point that this Castillo wasn't the same one that fought Corrales in that epic match. Great hook that was though...right on the liver, spot on. PS; that was some tremendous support he received from the travelling English contingent. An exasperated Kellerman even said; "Are we in Vegas ?" Great stuff. Mayweather would definitely beat him though, because he is a better boxer.

Ricky Hatton's father Ray has confirmed a deal has been struck "in principle" for his son to face Floyd Mayweather later this year. Ray Hatton said a verbal contract had been struck between lawyers for both parties with, crucially, an agreement reached over the financial side. But he is remaining cautious until contracts have actually been exchanged. Hatton said: "We have agreed a deal in principle but the date and venue is up in the air." The most likely dates are 10 November or 8 December in Las Vegas.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/6920484.stm

Done deal !

The "super-fight" between Ricky Hatton and Floyd Mayweather will go ahead on 8 December after contracts were signed, according to Hatton's father Ray. Hatton, who will step up a division from light welterweight for the fight, will receive a career-best purse. "The contract provided what we wanted and we are officially signed up," said Ray, "and our lawyers have told us that the Mayweather camp have also signed. "Now we are just waiting for the date and venue to be made official."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/6920484.stm

The verbal sparring has already begun. Check this out;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml;jsessionid=ZBAVB3N1OCYSDQFIQMFSFFOAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/sport/2007/08/01/soboxx101.xml Mayweather, known as 'Pretty Boy', and the world's No 1-ranked pound-for-pound fighter, insisted yesterday that Hatton, the world light-welterweight champion, will be "a punchbag" when the pair meet in Las Vegas. December 8 is the date pencilled in, but it has yet to be confirmed. "I don't know who is the pound-for-pound No 2 in the world, but there is no fighter in the world like me," said Mayweather, 30, who is expected to gross a minimum of £8 million for the contest. "Hatton is in for a rude awakening when we meet and he is in for a shock if he thinks I'm like any fighter he has ever faced. I'm in the business of blood, sweat and tears." It was Hatton, 28, who began the verbal sparring after he had beaten Jose Luis Castillo in June by insinuating that Mayweather's fighting style lacked excitement. But Mayweather claims Castillo surrendered. "I saw Castillo get hit with a body shot, turn around, take five steps and sit down," he said. "I wasn't impressed. When I'm done with [Hatton] he'll think he was fighting four people."
It may sound like trash talk, but in a way - he is right. This is Mayweather we are talking about here, he is a FAR better fighter than the likes of Kostya Tzu and Castillo. I for one, would be very surprised, shocked even, if Hatton won this.

Problem for Hatton is, Mayweather is a defensive fighter. He is a master of points victories. Hatton will find it difficult to trade punches with him. Mayweather simply doesn't fight that way. The Mancunian's only chance is a knock out. I can't see that happening against a technically accomplished pugilist like the Pretty Boy. Mayweather on points, on an unanimous decision for me.