Offered with no comments

Brainfade

Well ' date=' if that were the case , we need to ask their opinions on some of these issues. If their answer is in equally harsh/praiseworthy terms, then we shouldnt be having a problem with that. However, if they do fail to do that , then its obvious they have religious/regionel bias .[/quote'] If I remember correctly then I think the CNN guy said that it's not a Hinduism thing but more a cultural thing. Either way my stand on religion is pretty clear. Airy fairy stuff like religion will never fix any problem! Infact it creates more problems. That said it's a simple fact that some religions are more corrosive (Islam and Christianity in particular) KR there is a difference between a religion treating their own badly and a religion treating their own + followers of other religions badly. I am talking in terms of religious text and the actual actions of the faithful.

KR there is a difference between a religion treating their own badly and a religion treating their own + followers of other religions badly. I am talking in terms of religious text and the actual actions of the faithful.
GKD , you are equal opportunity offender. No qualms from my side!:wink_smile:

Neglect of senior citizens happen everywhere and not just in India. Recently an old man died in Wellington in his bathroom in an apartment (govt funded) and none noticed for days (a fortnight later it was found he was dead). There were people living next door and he had several kids but none really took care of him. There are so many senior citizens of similar kind out here. I don't reckon this plight is limited to India. There is fair bit of support for the senior citizens here though, they don't have to struggle for food and shelter. They are provided with govt. funded units and are paid enough to cover the expenses of food and shelter. It is the family support part of it that is lacking for a lot of senior citizens. A lot of senior citizens are self reliant and in fact enjoy their lives watching cricket, rugby, doing social service too. The majority of the senior citizens are good enough but there are people that can't quite afford special medical care or on call medical staff. All said and done the following is staggering. To certain extent the likes of cricketaddict and Dhondy are right. When someone that is not truly aware of Indian set up or seen India reads the article the first thing that strikes is the following number. :

There are an estimated 40 million widows
But for different perspective by some here I would have thought 40 million widows are wanting to die in a single place. Thank god that's not the case.

Acutally, just one comment: Sensationalism at its worst. http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/05/damon.india.widows/index.html
four years ago, before i lost my faith, i was on a parikrama of vrindavana when i passed by this large building which i later learned was a dormitory for widows. such was the pittiful state of the women in there, that the bland white walls of the building were comparitively more colorful. its quite incredible that while we hustle and bustle towards economic prosperity, little is achieved in alleviating social deprevity.