Finance/Investment Discussions

CC1981

In mutual funds u don't decide these trades, right? Or even here one keeps hoping from one type of offer to another based on their showings. Correct me if I am wrong.
no DR.... i dont hop around in Mutual funds... someone else does it for you(fund manager), though not as actively as i would like.... The reason I do mutual funds, is to cover some of my bases... I have some significant change on the MAthews india fund... .. It gives me a handle to trade in the indian market without the passiveness of an ETF and going through the bother of following a foreign market closely... and tht fund has not disappointed so far.... it gave me a return of close to 20% over the past few months.....

Guest dada_rocks

EVEn mutual fund guys take care of trading so sleeping can be done even there.. BTW right now I am openign an act at ameritrade Following are four options which one to choose and what do these options mean? Cash Cash and margin Cash and option cash margin and option

what do these options mean?
A trading instrument in which the buyer of an option has the option of making a trade till a certain date(American option) or on a certain date(European option). Say, you buy an option to purchase 100 Apple shares @ $130 per share with an expiration date of 31st July. In case of an American option, you have the right to exercise this option from the current date till the expiration date and in case of a European option you have the right to exercise the option on the expiration date, in this case 31st July.

Guest dada_rocks

ameritrade guys won't allow me being a canadain resident so how is this www.gcitrading.com guys? I have opened mutual fund account on ING direct but need some hand-holding on share-trading account, where I cud utilize my own understanding of market trends as opposed to being dependent on mutual fund managers.

ameritrade guys won't allow me being a canadain resident so how is this www.gcitrading.com guys? I have opened mutual fund account on ING direct but need some hand-holding on share-trading account, where I cud utilize my own understanding of market trends as opposed to being dependent on mutual fund managers.
dont know much about online brokers in Canada... for a beginner, my suggestion is to go with the equivalent of Zecco in Canada.... Zecco is a commission free online broker.... there are some drawbacks, none of which should bother a beginner much... since you will be playing with less cash in the beginning, the gains will be even smaller... the commissions will eat into it.... so my suggestion is to find if Zecco is offered in Canada, otherwise find its equivalent there... Advice 1: Never buy a stock tht someone recommends in a forum, TV show, blog, article... even if the author is a Warren Buffett immediately.... take a few days to convince yourself why u should be buying it.... 2 advantages to that. 1. You will avoid market reaction based on the impact of the coverage.... for instance, some stocks have shot up by 10% in a day after Cramer recommended it on his show... 2. If it was indeed a reliable and excellent pick. You will have learnt how to think similarly...

Good to see a fellow trader here. I see a lot of similarity in Gats. I too average about 15-20 trades a month. Almost all my trades are option spreads, very very rarely stocks. I keep my big money in mutual funds and CDs, play with relatively small money on speculative trades.

I have opened mutual fund account on ING direct but need some hand-holding on share-trading account, where I cud utilize my own understanding of market trends as opposed to being dependent on mutual fund managers.
For now just buy mutual funds. Until u understand the markets funds are the safest play. To get into more advanced trading practises such as options, spreads etc, u should develop a stomach for a loss, good judgement of the markets and most importantly a passion to do this. That'll come with time. Get started.

Good to see a fellow trader here. I see a lot of similarity in Gats. I too average about 15-20 trades a month. Almost all my trades are option spreads, very very rarely stocks.
Options are the way to go, Bumps... Do u always do spreads or do straddles and other strategies as well?

Options are the way to go' date=' Bumps... Do u always do spreads or do straddles and other strategies as well?[/quote'] Have never tried straddles or strangles. It doesnt appeal to me, as it doesnt work for most stocks i watch. Have only tried vanilla calls/puts & spreads. Spreads have yielded the best results for me. Lets u take advantage of the short momentum of stocks with insurance. What are your plays for the forthcoming weeks ?

Guest dada_rocks

thanls for nothing these buzzwords of vanila etc will keep me busy on wikipedia for a while:giggle:

Have never tried straddles or strangles. It doesnt appeal to me, as it doesnt work for most stocks i watch. Have only tried vanilla calls/puts & spreads. Spreads have yielded the best results for me. Lets u take advantage of the short momentum of stocks with insurance. What are your plays for the forthcoming weeks ?
Short-term Straddles usually work best for me just before an earnings release or during the quarter of a product launch...