CC's thread for off topic discussion

gorah_pindu

Fire away man. Ill be elsewhere.

metal = 99% cr@p.
I happen to understand music fairly well. Metal is cr@p- utterly cr@p generic music. Only good metal i've ever heard is Dreamtheatre, where they know a thing or three about music. Most metal is just noise, not music. What you like or do not like is a matter of taste as far as music goes. But whether what you like is cr@p or not, is fairly definitive in music- which is more of a science than most think. I dont exactly see the point of encouraging totally nihilistic mentalities or culture like the metal or BDSM, rap, punk, etc. culture you talk about. they are singularly in the 'cr@p' bin for me. Openminded doesnt mean being open to everything demented and sick under the sun either.
I can say the likewise about you, really. Rap isnt music and neither is punk. Those kind of music is really an insult to music.(pick a rap tune and i will write you the music for it in 10 min- that is how simple, monotonous and retarded the music of rap is) if anything, i'd much rather have Indians take to real western music- its classical and neo-classical traditions, jazz, blues, and some rock. And no, it is not I who is clueless about sexual malpractices like putting a dog-collar on your woman & tying her up in chains. I couldnt treat a whore like that, nevermind someone who is my girlfriend/wife/sex-buddy.Or doing that to a man and whipping him for sexual release. BDSM is sick...very sick.

Oh but dream-theatre are one of the very few metal bands to know music. And don't assume that i havnt been 'part' of the metal scene. I sampled it and it mostly sucks with rather dumb-headed concept of music. Its nothing about conceit- it is about knowing what music is and understanding it. Just like there isnt anything concrete to tell you that McGrath is a better bowler than Pollock, except your understanding of cricket, it doesnt take anything but your understanding to music to conclude that rap = crap and jazz = real music. This is nothing about cultural definitions of music either- people who are trained in music can realize that sh!t that passes for music/poetry (whatever the f*ck you wanna pass em off as), ie, rap, metal etc. is sh!ttier music than jazz or blues. Or that tamma tamma logey is not as good an example of 'music' as raghupati raghava raja-ram. it is not even about style, since every field has atleast one good/decent performer/band. But some fields are just inherently constructed on shakier music versatility,depth & BASICS than others. If you don't understand music, maybe you shouldnt be debating what is music and what isn't. What you think as opinion, is actually pretty close to facts- or as factual one can conceive of a stimulus. As i said, its not about taste- some people still prefer Afridi than Tendulkar to watch...but to think that all music ultimately boils down to taste is nothing more than ignorance about music. If treating your sexual partner as nothing more than piece of flesh in the most debased manner isnt nihilism, i think you have no idea what you are talking about. Your idea of variety seems to think that all variety is good variety and diversity means anarchy. I know there is consent. But ultimately, it is seeking sexual release from the make-believe reality of you owning her like a dog. Simply getting concent doesnt mean your fantasies arnt any sick/demented and utter cr@p.
Yo mama so fat when she tripped over on 4th Ave, she landed on 12th!

I do agree with him when he says that rap isn't actual music. Listen to the stuff guys like Akon come out with..."this is why i am hot, this is why i am hot" repeated until the cows come home. Of course, they are interspersed between other artistic gems such as, "you aint cos you not", etc. That is just one example. Is gibberish like this now considered to be some form of lyical masterpiece ? Please. Rap music encourages the use of ebonics (some schools here actually teach this as a separate dialect now, isn't that sad ?) amongst African-Americans and the English language suffers as a result. Nowadays almost every teen seems to have taken to crappy slang in order to express themselves. Not to mention the underlying message in every song; glorifying violence, pimping.

I do agree with him when he says that rap isn't actual music. Listen to the stuff guys like Akon come out with..."this is why i am hot, this is why i am hot" repeated until the cows come home. Of course, they are interspersed between other artistic gems such as, "you aint cos you not", etc. That is just one example. Is gibberish like this now considered to be some form of lyical masterpiece ? Please. Rap music encourages the use of ebonics (some schools here actually teach this as a separate dialect now, isn't that sad ?) amongst African-Americans and the English language suffers as a result. Nowadays almost every teen seems to have taken to crappy slang in order to express themselves. Not to mention the underlying message in every song; glorifying violence, pimping.
Check it out Nigga ! Dr Dre da man . Still Dre - Treat my rap like Cali weed, I smoke til I sleep Wake up in the A.M., compose a beat I bring the fire til you're soaking in your seat It's not a fluke, it's been tried, I'm the troop It's "Turn Out the Lights" from the World Class Wreckin' Cru I'm still at it, After-mathematic In the home of drivebys and ak-matics Swap meets, sticky green, and bad traffic I dip through then I get skin, D-R-E It ain't nothing but more hot **** Another classic CD for y'all to vibe with Whether you're cooling on a corner with your fly ***** Laid back in the shack, play this track I'm representing for the gangstas all across the world (Still hitting them corners in them low low's girl) I'll break your neck, damn near put your face in your lap Try to be the king but the ace is back

Never been a fan of metal or rap "music". I am sure both of these have their own fan following, specially the latter today but I fail to see the "musical" part in them. But that is me. If someone likes metal or rap I say all powers to you.

Love these discussions :DAm I the only one here who is into almost all musical genres (well minus the Brittney type of pop stuff)? :omg_smile: Rap/HipHop is as musical as any other musical genre. Give me bit of this any day- FlkgtPh1AWs x0Vy8PywZTM uFv6rVhcgkk WI5PDEMf0y0 nMn2cCBwH18 psBEj6cUXyk 2PAC "Changes" [1] Come on come on I see no changes wake up in the morning and I ask myself is life worth living should I blast myself? I'm tired of bein' poor & even worse I'm black my stomach hurts so I'm lookin' for a purse to snatch Cops give a damn about a negro pull the trigger kill a nigga he's a hero Give the crack to the kids who the hell cares one less hungry mouth on the welfare First ship 'em dope & let 'em deal the brothers give 'em guns step back watch 'em kill each other It's time to fight back that's what Huey said 2 shots in the dark now Huey's dead I got love for my brother but we can never go nowhere unless we share with each other We gotta start makin' changes learn to see me as a brother instead of 2 distant strangers and that's how it's supposed to be How can the Devil take a brother if he's close to me? I'd love to go back to when we played as kids but things changed, and that's the way it is [bridge w/ changing ad libs] Come on come on That's just the way it is Things'll never be the same That's just the way it is aww yeah [Repeat] [2] I see no changes all I see is racist faces misplaced hate makes disgrace to races We under I wonder what it takes to make this one better place, let's erase the wasted Take the evil out the people they'll be acting right 'cause both black and white is smokin' crack tonight and only time we chill is when we kill each other it takes skill to be real, time to heal each other And although it seems heaven sent We ain't ready, to see a black President, uhh It ain't a secret don't conceal the fact the penitentiary's packed, and it's filled with blacks But some things will never change try to show another way but you stayin' in the dope game Now tell me what's a mother to do bein' real don't appeal to the brother in you You gotta operate the easy way "I made a G today" But you made it in a sleazy way sellin' crack to the kid. " I gotta get paid," Well hey, well that's the way it is [bridge] [Talking:] We gotta make a change... It's time for us as a people to start makin' some changes. Let's change the way we eat, let's change the way we live and let's change the way we treat each other. You see the old way wasn't working so it's on us to do what we gotta do, to survive. [3] And still I see no changes can't a brother get a little peace It's war on the streets & the war in the Middle East Instead of war on poverty they got a war on drugs so the police can bother me And I ain't never did a crime I ain't have to do But now I'm back with the facts givin' it back to you Don't let 'em jack you up, back you up, crack you up and pimp smack you up You gotta learn to hold ya own they get jealous when they see ya with ya mobile phone But tell the cops they can't touch this I don't trust this when they try to rush I bust this That's the sound of my tool you say it ain't cool my mama didn't raise no fool And as long as I stay black I gotta stay strapped & I never get to lay back 'Cause I always got to worry 'bout the pay backs some punk that I roughed up way back comin' back after all these years rat-tat-tat-tat-tat that's the way it is uhh NAS LYRICS "If I Ruled The World" (feat. Lauryn Hill) [intro: Nas (Lauryn Hill singing in the background)] Life..... I wonder.... Will it take me under.... I don't know [Verse One: Nas] Imagine smoking weed in the streets without cops harassin Imagine going to court with no trial Lifestyle cruising blue behind my waters No welfare supporters more conscious of the way we raise our daughters Days are shorter, nights are colder Feeling like life is over, these snakes strike like a cobra The world's hot my son got not evidently It's elementary, they want us all gone eventually Trooping out of state for a plate knowledge of coke was cooked without the garbage we'd all have the top dollars Imagine everybody flashin, fashion Designer clothes, lacing your click up with diamond vogues Your people holdin dough, no parole No rubbers, go in raw imagine law with no undercovers Just some thoughts for the mind I take a glimpse into time watch the blimp read "The World Is Mine" [Chorus: Lauryn Hill, Nas] If I ruled the world Imagine that I'd free all my sons, I love em love em baby Black diamonds and pearls Could it be, if you could be mine, we'd both shine If I ruled the world Still livin for today, in these last days and times [Verse Two: Nas] The way to be, paradise like relaxin black, latino and anglo-saxon Armani exchange the reins Cash, Lost Tribe of Shabazz, free at last Brand new whips to crash then we laugh in the iller path The Villa house is for the crew, how we do Trees for breakfast, dime sexes and Benz stretches So many years of depression make me vision The better livin, type of place to raise kids in Open they eyes to the lies history's told foul But I'm as wise as the old owl, plus the Gold Child Seeing things like I was controlling, click rollin Trickin six digits on kicks and still holdin Trips to Paris, I civilized every savage Gimme one shot I turn trife life to lavish Political prisonner set free, stress free No work release purple M3's and jet skis Feel the wind breeze in West Indies I make Coretta Scott-King mayor the cities and reverse themes to Willies It sounds foul but every girl I meet to go downtown I'd open every cell in Attica send em to Africa [Chorus: Lauryn Hill, Nas] If I ruled the world Imagine that I'd free all my sons, I love em love em baby Black diamonds and pearls Could it be, if you could be mine, we'd both shine If I ruled the world Still livin for today, in these last days and times And then we'll walk right up to the sun Hand in hand We'll walk right up to the sun We won't land We'll walk right up to the sun Hand in hand We'll walk right up to the sun We won't land [Verse Three: Nas] You'd love to hear the story how the thugs live in worry Duck down in car seats, heat's mandatory Runnin from Jake, gettin chased, hunger for papes These are the breaks many mistakes go down out of state Wait, I had to let it marinate we carry weight Tryin to get laced, flip the ace stack the safe Millionaire plan to keep the gat with the cop camera Makin moves in Atlanta, back and forth scrambler Cause you could have all the chips, be poor or rich Still nobody want a nigga havin **** If I ruled the world and everything in it, sky's the limit I push a Q-45 Infinit It wouldn't be no such thing as jealousies or B Felonies Strictly living longevity to the destiny I thought I'd never see but reality struck Better find out before your time's out, what the ****?? [Chorus: Lauryn Hill, Nas] If I ruled the world Imagine that I'd free all my sons, I love em em baby Black diamonds and pearls Could it be, if you could be mine, we'd both shine If I ruled the world Still livin for today, in these last days and times If I ruled the world, if I ruled, if I ruled Imagine that I'd free all my sons, if I ruled, if I ruled I love em love em baby Black diamonds and pearls, black dimaonds Could it be, if you could black diamonds be mine, we'd both shine If I ruled the world Still livin for today, in these last days and times If I ruled the world, if I ruled if I ruled, I'd free all my sons black diamonds, I love em love em baby Black diamonds and pearls, if I ruled If I ruled the world If I ruled the world I love em love em baby!!

Am I the only one here who is into almost all musical genres (well minus the Brittney type of pop stuff)? :omg_smile: Rap/HipHop is as musical as any other musical genre.
Yeh, I listen to every genre too - I agree. African tribal drums arnt music by some people's definition, but are music by the tribe's definition. Unless you are a bigot, you expand your definition of music to accomodate culturally relative ideas.
blah blah blah
CC - I feel sorry for you, if you think roleplay and kinky props in sex are a 'sin' or a Biblical/Koranic/Orwellian 'thought crime' - modern sexual relationships are more vigorous because they understand human nature better, and dont shy away from it like prudes. Our own Kama Sutra contains perhaps the oldest description of sadomasochistic psychological gratification, which had become everyday knolwedge in the post-Fruedian world. You are also still ignorant of what you are talking about, and continue to instead be confrontational, rather than swallowing your pride, and learning something new (for instance BDSM is more about the reciever finding pleasure than the dominant giving it, yet you assumed a misogynist/misandrist one-way relationship, out of total ignorance of the strong emphasis the movement places on respect, equality and safety, and also possibly due to your own sexual prejudices). Rates of sexual crime in prude societies are far higher than non-prude ones, (like Japan, where BDSM is an institution - compare this to evangelist America or wahabi Pakistan, where every strongly religious hillbilly/mullah seems to have raped someone) - so as far as im concerned, its people who psychologically chain themselves up, by not engaging in their fantasies in a safe environment, who are the 'sick' members of society, far more likely to engage in sexual crime and desperation, and people who engage in kink who are the healthy ones. I didnt expect a (self proclaimed) Buddhist to hold your views - maybe you would enjoy Christianity more. Also dont make me laugh with 'I have sampled metal, ergo I am an expert' - another deeply conceited or at least deeply ignorant and fanatically confident statement - if I were to list my favorite metal bands right now, none of which ever see airplay on music channels, you would know perhaps one or two, and would have to wiki the rest rather than lose face - so dont pretend you are an all knowing authority on the subject. Your own hatred of the genre reveals to me that you dont 'know the scene', because why would anyone who hates it, examine it in full depth? If you think friends playing you what ever crap they listen to constitutes authoratative experience, you are a fool.

My point is, metal isnt very good music. period. You are a fool to think all music is made equal- what next ? the guitar is as versatile and melodious as the violin ? As far as BDSM goes- well i lived in K-town,Ontario- BDSM capital of north america. enough said about *your* assumptions. I agree with you in a sense that it is atleast better to seek release of one's kink/fantasies than bottling it up but at the same time,hardcore BDSM lovers should seek psychological help- they are very clearly, disturbed people with disturbed idea of sexuality. i wouldnt begrudge a sicko his ball-n-chains fantasy but at the same time i'd tell that sicko to go get help. And i certainly wouldnt be promoting ball-n-chains as good sex either.

My point is, metal isnt very good music. period. You are a fool to think all music is made equal- what next ? the guitar is as versatile and melodious as the violin ?
I would rather hear someone playing a guitar than listen to someone play a violin. I find a guitar much more melodious than violin. That doesn't make me a fool. Everyone has different likes and tastes, but just because you don't like it, doesn't mean its crap. You're the fool if you cannot understand this much.

]My point is' date=' metal isnt very good music. period.[/b'] You are a fool to think all music is made equal- what next ? the guitar is as versatile and melodious as the violin ? As far as BDSM goes- well i lived in K-town,Ontario- BDSM capital of north america. enough said about *your* assumptions. I agree with you in a sense that it is atleast better to seek release of one's kink/fantasies than bottling it up but at the same time,hardcore BDSM lovers should seek psychological help- they are very clearly, disturbed people with disturbed idea of sexuality. i wouldnt begrudge a sicko his ball-n-chains fantasy but at the same time i'd tell that sicko to go get help. And i certainly wouldnt be promoting ball-n-chains as good sex either.
i'm gonna kick your butt for just that... and please dont speak of the violin as such... they are two completely different instruments. shows your maturity and knowledge. if anything you could compare the acoustic guitar to a lute, and not a bloody violin or a cello.

As far as BDSM goes- well i lived in K-town,Ontario- BDSM capital of north america. enough said about *your* assumptions.
OMG! Instant expert!
I agree with you in a sense that it is atleast better to seek release of one's kink/fantasies than bottling it up but at the same time,hardcore BDSM lovers should seek psychological help- they are very clearly, disturbed people with disturbed idea of sexuality.
'Hardcore'? At least I got you to step back a few paces I guess. Frankly you should know that the taboo of today is the art of tommorow. It is foolish to think your own ideas of what is acceptable are definative - the ancient Israelites found it perfectly acceptable to keep slaves and rape them - so to think your values represent universal truth is myopic. These 'hardcore' practitioners, as you call them, do absolutely nothing legally or morally wrong, and do this in a fully consentual environment, as part of a beneviolent community of like-minded people, yet you would label them psycholgically troubled? Dont tell me you live in the North American capital of psychology too, thus making you an expert in mental illness!
My point is, metal isnt very good music. period. You are a fool to think all music is made equal- what next ? the guitar is as versatile and melodious as the violin ?
You have made a logical error: A). All music has beauty. Does not equate to: B). All instruments are technically equal in the field of versitility. The first statement is subjective. The second is quantifiable. Thus they cannot be compared. Again you are letting your personal taste in music cloud your objectivity. The fact is, for all its technical shortcomings, one can favour a guitar over a violin, if their tastes differ, and it is frankly incredible that you cannot acknolwedge this principle of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Before trying to escape from this - let us be clear - you have all along been saying exactly this - that your own idea of beauty is superior - you have not been debating the technical differences - but merely using them to reinforce your own claim to superior tastes. Taste is highly subjective.

I find a guitar much more melodious than violin.
Simple fact is, it isnt. A guitar cannot be tuned as precisely as a violin, its flexibility of notes & clarity isnt as good as a violin and guitar cannot change as many scales as a violin. All those are facts. All those facts is what defines melody. All these make the violin more melodious. Again as i say, music is closer to logic & science than just down to simple taste. You may LIKE the guitar more and that is fine- but it is patently inaccurate to say that the guitar is more melodious than the violin when factually, it isnt so. Do not confuse taste with quality. I used to think the same until 5-6 yrs ago until my mother sat down with me (she is a professional singer) and taught me music- ie, how to READ music and UNDERSTAND music ( sur, tal, lay, raag, scales, etc). And after that, i could easily see her point : my idea, like yours or GP's that music is about taste only,yadda yadda, is nothing more than ignorant drivel. So, in short, no, your this comment : " Everyone has different likes and tastes, but just because you don't like it, doesn't mean its crap." is *not* applicable a response to my this comment: " what next ? the guitar is as versatile and melodious as the violin ?" It is a musical *FACT* that the violin is more melodious & versatile than the guitar.

Frankly you should know that the taboo of today is the art of tommorow.
True...sometimes it is a good thing, sometimes it isnt. This BDSM thing is in the latter category.
The first statement is subjective. The second is quantifiable.
Just like how the difference between guitar and violin or a piano and harmonium can be quantified, so too the difference between Jazz and heavy metal. What is subjective is what music you like or dislike. What is quantifiable is which piece of work is a better peiece of music.
The fact is, for all its technical shortcomings, one can favour a guitar over a violin, if their tastes differ, and it is frankly incredible that you cannot acknolwedge this principle of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
Because beauty *isnt* in the eye of the beholder here. As i said- favour whatever you want- but don't be ridiculous enough to claim that all music is just a subjective opinion.It isnt. And until you learn the basics of music, you wont see it either !
These 'hardcore' practitioners, as you call them, do absolutely nothing legally or morally wrong, and do this in a fully consentual environment, as part of a beneviolent community of like-minded people, yet you would label them psycholgically troubled?
Very much so. As i said, you can be benevolent, consentual, etc etc- still it has no bearing on the fact that this/that like of yours is twisted and sick ! I am not exactly advocating their arrest or banning- just that they should seek help for their sickness.
It is foolish to think your own ideas of what is acceptable are definative
Agreed. But to extrapolate its exact converse is in effect supporting anarchism, since now you have absolutely no basis on saying murdering a baby is wrong or killing your mom is wrong.
Taste is highly subjective.
True. My father doesnt like jazz. But he knows that jazz is a better musical artform than bollywood masala songs. You are free to like what you want - but do not confuse that to mean that all music is made equal- it very clearly, isn't.

Simple fact is, it isnt. A guitar cannot be tuned as precisely as a violin, its flexibility of notes & clarity isnt as good as a violin and guitar cannot change as many scales as a violin. All those are facts. All those facts is what defines melody. All these make the violin more melodious. Again as i say, music is closer to logic & science than just down to simple taste. You may LIKE the guitar more and that is fine- but it is patently inaccurate to say that the guitar is more melodious than the violin when factually, it isnt so. Do not confuse taste with quality. I used to think the same until 5-6 yrs ago until my mother sat down with me (she is a professional singer) and taught me music- ie, how to READ music and UNDERSTAND music ( sur, tal, lay, raag, scales, etc). And after that, i could easily see her point : my idea, like yours or GP's that music is about taste only,yadda yadda, is nothing more than ignorant drivel. So, in short, no, your this comment : " Everyone has different likes and tastes, but just because you don't like it, doesn't mean its crap." is *not* applicable a response to my this comment: " what next ? the guitar is as versatile and melodious as the violin ?" It is a musical *FACT* that the violin is more melodious & versatile than the guitar.
You are right on that count - but you havent replied to the point of his post at all. I.E. that beauty is subjective. Great way to avoid the real meat of the discussion.

Just like how the difference between guitar and violin or a piano and harmonium can be quantified, so too the difference between Jazz and heavy metal. What is subjective is what music you like or dislike. What is quantifiable is which piece of work is a better peiece of music.
Incorrect - because some people prefer simplicity to complexity. Thus for them, the simpler piece would be the superior one. I.E. you are assuming orthadox opinion is definative. Whereas some people think it takes more skill to write a minimalist song.