Nehru in love with Lady Mountbatten ?

Ram

Guest dada_rocks

:hysterical:

May be Nehruji thought 'Lady Mountbatten' meant 'Mount the lady and battein karo usse'.
:hysterical:

Mountbaten had all but sealed hyderabad's fate as an independent nation. So I would not say he was pro India. Any regime which leaves an everestesque problem of unfication of federation unresolved cud not be in india's favour and Mountbaten was representing that regime. They tried their best to write the iobitiaury of concept called India and even predicted that but bumped into certain patel.
Look there is simply no way Partition would have been acceptable to both parties. There would be issues like Hyderabad, Junagadh, J&K and so on. What is important to remember is that at the time of Independence(1947) India was still a collection of Princely States. Now barring issues like Hyderabad, J&K etc most of these princely states joined India(or Pakistan) without much of an issue. Sardar Patel obviously play the greatest role in this but do not rule out the role of Lord Mountbatten in this regard. As the British Viceroy to India it was he who was instrumental in bringing Prince/Kings under Indian umbrella without too much bickering. In the least the powerful kings like Gwalior, Patiala would have created nuissance though in the end they might have had to join India. xxx

Guest dada_rocks

See it was british preprogative, they ruled them as one didn;t they I don't see why they will suddenly feel this pang to make them all indepedent to choose their fate . anyway ;actually her daughter is insinuating nehrujee might have compromised on national interets issue due to that affair. Read the excerpt from her interview with Thapar KT: You say that the Edwina-Nehru relationship was also of use to your father as Viceroy. He often appealed to Panditji through the influence your mother had and that this was particularly useful handling tricky situations like Kashmir. PM: That is true and he did use her like that. But he certainly wasn't going to throw her, he didn't say to her 'go become the Prime Minister's lover because I need you to intercede'. It was a by-product of this deep affection ... KT: Many people in India believe that the decision Jawaharlal Nehru took to refer Kashmir to the United Nations was taken under your father's advice. Could that have been an area where your mother's influence would have been particularly useful? PM: I think it could have been ... my father, just in dry conversation might not have been able to get his viewpoint over, but with my mother translating it for Panditji and making, you know, appealing to his heart more than his mind, that he should really behave like this. I think probably that did happen.

Guest dada_rocks

Scribing on quite a tangential line: Forget the amorous nature of nehurjee for a second although I use harsh words for this behaviour quite often, but the real morality where it mattered leaders of yester-year India were par excellence. Did Jawaharlal Nehru have any inkling that spending over nine years in prison would fetch him the prime ministership? Even his staunchest critics , which I am, must concede that Nehru sacrificed his life of luxury and opted for the harsh uncertainties of freedom struggle thus proving his courage of conviction. When he was Prime Minister, journalists once spotted a hole in Nehru’s shoe which had obviously seen better days. How many of our leaders of post-70 era with all their known and unknown assets would want to recall this incident? Dr Rajendra Prasad, after relinquishing the post of Indian President, retired to Sadaquat Ashram in Patna, as he had no place of his own at that stage. Lal Bahadur Shastri was yet to repay the loan for a Fiat car he had bought when he suddenly passed away. Gulzari Lal Nanda spent his last days in his daughter’s two-room flat in Ahmedabad.