That 122 by Tendulkar

U include England, it doesnt make any difference. Still Viv comes out on top interms of 50s & 100s (which is what is expected of greats to win test matches, not averages)
Richards has more 50s but his highest score is lower than Tendulkar's lowest score after he has made a hundred.
And SL has been our biyatches at home forever. Even Engerland has won a test in India. What has SL done to us, to command respect as a test side ?
Your entire argument will disintegrate if you bring in that reasoning. Check any team's record against WI during the time you are talking about, pay special attention to how England and Australia were walloped by WI during part of the period you are talking about.
Can u imagine a Viv walking out to play an innings like Tendu did in Capetown ?
Why would I need to imagine when I have seen him go down the pitch on a minefield to a leg spinner and hoick him away in the delusion that he is God only to be caught at mid on when the team was facing a stiff battle in the 4th innings. Or have read about the following : Fumble around like a novice when his side was disintegrated for 50 runs by another leg spinner. Or be dismissed by a part time spin bowler chasing another stiff target. Or poke at another spinner in his last test when he was expected to rise to the occasion to the keeper.

Fair enuff i may be biased because i have seen more of Tendu's failures than the past greats' (whom i have seen only on highlight clips), but i have hardly seen any commentator talk about Viv like they do about Tendulkar (whom everyone is critical of, oflate). Even the likes of Tony Grieg who used to drool about Tendulkar dont miss a chance to take a dig at this man. Such is his decline. I have myself seen Tendu fail far too often, and in many instances, far too spinelessly, to think or believe otherwise.

Fair enuff i may be biased because i have seen more of Tendu's failures than the past greats' (whom i have seen only on highlight clips), but i have hardly seen any commentator talk about Viv like they do about Tendulkar (whom everyone is critical of, oflate). Even the likes of Tony Grieg who used to drool about Tendulkar dont miss a chance to take a dig at this man. Such is his decline. I have myself seen Tendu fail far too often, and in many instances, far too spinelessly, to think or believe otherwise.
Bumper, I'll put it down to a few factors : 1. WI were winning when the Richards decline happened 2. The media coverage of every failure is amazing today. I remember the Faislabad fiasco of WI against Pakistan when they were shot out for 50 against Qadir only because I was a cricket fanatic at that time. Trust me, I have improved now. :D It was a 2 column, 4 paragraph piece in TOI. 3. Richards did receive some negative press in his latter years but as will happen with Tendulkar or any other great, the good stuff will outlive the bad as long as the coverage of the good stuff is good which isn't the case in Indian media. FFS, Victor Trumper is considered a legend in some circles!!
This is what India need to bat like in their 2nd dig. 344 runs in 66.2 overs on a final day at Lords (Thanks, Dileep). Hai himmat seene main? http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1984/WI_IN_ENG/WI_ENG_T2_28JUN-03JUL1984.html
We'll make Dinesh Karthik wear spectacles, he'll pull a Greenidge :haha: But still that accounts for only 214 runs. Where will our middle order muster up the remaining runs from ?

Richards was simply more 'arrogant' through a larger part of his career because he could afford to - he was preceded by greenidge and haynes, and had lloyd, gomes, dujon following him through the majority of his career. A combination of weaker batsmen around him, plus his advancing age (remember he was more hand-eye than SRT) destroyed the last few years of his career. He simply did not have the nous to adapt his game the way SRT did from 2003-2006. Which is why I rate Lara slightly higher than Richards - even though purely hand-eye, and playing with a a less than satisfactory lineup around him, he lasted forever. Which is why it will also be interesting to see how Ponting fares 2 years down the line, when he wont have the cushioning effect of the very good current Aussie batters. Which is why SRT must be considered a true great - sole performers are a classier act than people who perform as part of a troupe.