Dravid's captaincy.

gator

true' date=' but still, the captain has to inspire his men to perform a notch over their comfort level, as i had mentoned earlier and Dravid has clearly proven to be a failure...[/quote'] He instilled a battling spirit in team which allowed us to fight and get draw. What motivation, what leadership. They way he made Dhoni fight for the team was amazing! Without Dravid's brilliant leadership we would have lost 1st test
Right you miserable gits. My turn now. Today was a 5th day pitch, bowler friendly conditions against an attack with pace, swing and seam. Pressure situation and he delivers. FTB my ar#se. He is in the process of showing he is no FTB. If any of you had bothered to watch him in SA you may have realised this!
So you saying Dhoni performed above his ability?
Dravid lacks a lot in inspiring, motivating, instilling confidence, imbibing spirit in the team... he lacks in providing self-belief..
gator, how do you know he doesn't inspire or motivate his teammates? do have any inside info that we don't?
gator' date=' how do you know he doesn't inspire or motivate his teammates? do have any inside info that we don't?[/quote'] i dont have inside info... i jus formed an opinion from wat i observe, like 99.99% of u... one of the examples was in the OP - poosy attitude displayed at the end of this test... similar pooss-mongering was done pre-bangla match in the world cup, which led to our ouster...
He instilled a battling spirit in team which allowed us to fight and get draw. What motivation, what leadership. They way he made Dhoni fight for the team was amazing! Without Dravid's brilliant leadership we would have lost 1st test
thts not wat i am seeing... if his leadership was better, we wouldnt have been in tht position...
How according to you is a captain supposed to inspire his men ? For example' date=' suppose if you were the captain instead of Dravid, what would you have done?[/quote'] i had summarised all his shortcomings... in short, i would try not to have those shortcomings..
i had summarised all his shortcomings... in short' date=' i would try not to have those shortcomings..[/quote'] No. I mean how would you inspire a lot of 10 players who are not inspired by the fact that they are representing their country (if you think so). What would you do to "inspire" them, if you are in Dravid's place?
No. I mean how would you inspire a lot of 10 players who are not inspired by the fact that they are representing their country (if you think so). What would you do to "inspire" them' date= if you are in Dravid's place?
1) Kick their butt. Didnt Imran kick off his own cousin Majid Khan when he became captain - an action that drew wedge between two families and continues till this day. 2) MAke it clear in Board meeting which players are not pulling themselves(I refuse to believe all 10 players are not inspired..what happened to Gods like Sachin btw?) 3) Go Public with your grievances if your board is not helping. 4) Set expectations correct and deliver on it. Dont get kicked out of world cup only to have a humiliatiing next game(of any significance) where likes of Trimlett and Anderson kick you all over the place and only rain god saves you. xxx 4
1) Kick their butt. Didnt Imran kick off his own cousin Majid Khan when he became captain - an action that drew wedge between two families and continues till this day. 2) MAke it clear in Board meeting which players are not pulling themselves(I refuse to believe all 10 players are not inspired..what happened to Gods like Sachin btw?) 3) Go Public with your grievances if your board is not helping. 4) Set expectations correct and deliver on it. Dont get kicked out of world cup only to have a humiliatiing next game(of any significance) where likes of Trimlett and Anderson kick you all over the place and only rain god saves you. xxx 4
All this can be done before a series starts. What would you do during a test match? Gator thought that he couldn't inspire his team mates to perform best to their potential!
All this can be done before a series starts. What would you do during a test match? Gator thought that he couldn't inspire his team mates to perform best to their potential!
Chandan you have to realize that Dravid has now led India in 10 Test series, and atleast 8 where he has led in 2 or more Tests. Enough time for fans to make a decision upon. Gator's argument could encompass what happened in a particular test but it is equally prudent to realize that the gentleman in question has been leading for a long while. And if you agree that a captain could do what I suggest before the series starts, do tell me how many times have Dravid actually done anything like that? xxx
not necessarily... a captain's role is not limited to on a ground in the middle of a test match alone... Lurker's points are all valid and good points... u r asking, as if the solution is as simple as "to wear a blue underwear" and the problem will be solved.... Leadership is very complex.... the effect of good or bad leadership is easy to spot, but being one is not easy... there are many who are born with good leadership skills, while others are not... Not just in sports, even in the corporate world, people who display better leadership skills are promoted more often than ones who are extremely talented in their work alone.... Dravid is p1ss-poor in leadership skills....
1 - goonda type behavior which will not be condoned by most fans 2 - we donno what he does and doesn't say to the board 3 - absurd 4 - set expectations and deliver, yeah right.
1 - goonda type behavior which will not be condoned by most fans 2 - we donno what he does and doesn't say to the board 3 - absurd 4 - set expectations and deliver, yeah right.
short reply... use ur judgement, see the difference in leadership skills between Dravid and Imran/Ranatunga and list those out...
1 - goonda type behavior which will not be condoned by most fans
Then we need the fans to get their head examined. Otherwise help me understand why the same fans would crib "What can RD do when other 10 dont get inspired" and when RD kicks their butt he is termed goonda!! How do we pronounce the word hypocrite again ??
2 - we donno what he does and doesn't say to the board
Agreed but we can make an educated guess. The way RD behaves, inside and outside, is a good barometer of how he speaks at the meeting.
3 - absurd
Right back at you.
4 - set expectations and deliver, yeah right.
Huh? Arent you a true Indian fan to get whatever the high and mighty might dish out to you? Sorry I am more an assertive kind who wants players to have some sort of responsibility towards their job. By the way do try that atitude - set expectations and deliver yeah right - at your own job and see how quickly they will send you packing. xxx
By the way do try that atitude - set expectations and deliver yeah right - at your own job and see how quickly they will send you packing.
i would be foolish to set expectations that depend on 10 other high paid, partially aging, unprofessional folks. you try setting expecations and promise to deliver based on these folks and you WILL be sent packing, cause you WILL fail more often than not.