Big B dares UP govt to jail him

Feed

Amitabh Bachchan has blamed his problems on the Uttar Pradesh govt, while daring it to put him in jail if it felt he was guilty of fudging records to buy agricultural land. More... Big B dares UP govt to jail him 13 Aug 2007, 0015 hrs ISTspacer.gif,spacer.gifTNN spacer.gif

Amitabh Bachchan has denied he was being targeted because of his association with SP and its leader Mulayam Singh Yadav (PTI Photo)

NEW DELHI: Refuting allegations that he had fudged records to buy agricultural land, superstar Amitabh Bachchan has blamed his problems on change of regime in Uttar Pradesh, while daring the government to put him in jail if it felt he was guilty. In an interview to a news channel, Bachchan, who has decided to donate the farmland in question in Barabanki in UP and in Maharashtra after they were called in question by local administration, said he had done no wrong. He said the Barabanki DM had confirmed that the land was his and he had used the certificate to buy land in Bhavna in Maharashtra. "Two or three years later, they suddenly said the certificate is wrong. How does anyone function in a situation like this? So, everytime there is a change of government, everything that has passed before, or any documentation that has been given to you as permission to continue doing your work, has to stop," he said. Bachchan said if owning agricultural land also classified the owner as farmer, then "there are millions of people who own agricultural land and do not necessarily go down on their hands and knees and till the earth". Bachchan denied he was being targeted because of his association with SP and its leaders Mulayam Singh Yadav and Amar Singh and pointed out he was "hounded" for Bofors scam even when his "friend" Rajiv Gandhi was prime minister. "I'm happy that I fought, I'm happy that I cleared my name (in the Bofors scam), I'm happy that I fought single-handedly against the government and defeated them."