Lance Armstrong doping? Ripley's believe it or not.

Vikas Bhatt

Here's the issue I have - if Armstrong was allowed to get away shouldn't the USADA and UCI be also held responsible and be banned/penalized? What does this show about USADA/UCI?
Not just Armstrong, 36 out of the 45 podium finishers in Tour de France in the last 15 years have been tainted - and I don't think severe action has been taken against a lot of them. These anti doping agencies should all be penalized very heavily because they have failed to stop the rapid proliferation of drugs in sports.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/cycling/story/2012/10/26/sp-uci-usada-cycling-tour-de-france-lance-armstrong-christian-prudhomme.html What are your comments after reading this article? How do you penalize the anti-doping agencies or even the apex cycling bodies? This is like saying penalize ICC for not being effective in dealing with match/spot fixing in cricket. Or saying penalize BCCI for having IPL controversies. The only way to do it is to have an independent anti-corruption sports authority which can take such organizations to task. I don't know if such a system exists and if it even makes any sense, considering sportsmen themselves are keeping quiet.

> How do you penalize the anti-doping agencies or even the apex cycling bodies? Here's what happened - UCI held drug tests and were unable to detect Lance Armstrong and his colleagues (36 out of 45 as pointed out by many others) where doping. Your responsibility (in this case the people conducting the dope tests) is to get hold of the culprits. Now, the culprits could have got away due to variety of reasons including lack of technology, lack of planning etc. One needs to ascertain if it was due to lackadaisical attitude by the officials OR something else. If the officials did everything else in their hand to eliminate such a possibility then fine; if not - make an example. The real questions in this case are - - Are there investigations launched on the way the drug tests were conducted? - If yes, did we observe any irregularities - If not, how did Armstrong and colleagues get away with them? > This is like saying penalize ICC for not being effective in dealing with match/spot fixing in cricket. Or saying penalize BCCI for having IPL controversies. Such comparisons never show the true picture. The comparisons could be made either at an abstract level but not at a meta-level. For any comparisons to be made at the meta-level, the properties of both issues under discussions should match [0]. I'm not sure if it is in this case. [0] http://indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=287335

^ When I posed the question "how do you penalize an apex body" , I meant that which higher authority is responsible to take them to task? My analogy for ICC was to the effect that if the highest body in a respective sport itself is corrupt, then how do you penalize it? Fallacy does not apply, because my post was misunderstood. :D

^ When I posed the question "how do you penalize an apex body" ' date=' [b']I meant that which higher authority is responsible to take them to task? My analogy for ICC was to the effect that if the highest body in a respective sport itself is corrupt, then how do you penalize it? Fallacy does not apply, because my post was misunderstood. :D
:whack: The people who were responsible for overseeing drug tests.

When is that comulsive liar going to own up. The prat is still maintaing his innocence. The bully boy needs to own up. I think in a few years he will admit guilt and try and rehabilaite his public profile with admission and attempt to gain sympathy in PR move. He is losing loads of money now. Sponsors pulling out, asked for return of prize monies. Sponsors wanting bonuses back. Good the a hole has made a fortune through his cheating, its pay back now.
Reports he may soon go public and admit guilt. A hole!!

Armstrong admits he doped on Oprah http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/21065539

Oprah Winfrey: Did you ever take banned substances to enhance your cycling performance? Lance Armstrong: "Yes." Was one of those banned substances EPO? "Yes." Did you ever blood dope or use blood transfusions to enhance your cycling performance? "Yes." Did you ever use any other banned substances such as testosterone, cortisone or Human Growth Hormone? "Yes." In all seven of your Tour de France victories, did you ever take banned substances or blood dope? "Yes." Was it humanly possible to win the Tour de France without doping, seven times? "Not in my opinion. that generation. I didn't invent the culture, but I didn't try to stop the culture." For 13 years you didn't just deny it, you brazenly and defiantly denied everything you just admitted just now. So why now admit it? "That is the best question. It's the most logical question. I don't know that I have a great answer. I will start my answer by saying that this is too late. It's too late for probably most people, and that's my fault. I viewed this situation as one big lie that I repeated a lot of times, and as you said, it wasn't as if I just said no and I moved off it. You were defiant, you called other people liars. "I understand that. And while I lived through this process, especially the last two years, one year, six months, two, three months, I know the truth. The truth isn't what was out there. The truth isn't what I said, and now it's gone - this story was so perfect for so long. And I mean that, as I try to take myself out of the situation and I look at it. You overcome the disease, you win the Tour de France seven times. You have a happy marriage, you have children. I mean, it's just this mythic perfect story, and it wasn't true. Was it hard to live up to that picture that was created? "Impossible. Certainly I'm a flawed character, as I well know, and I couldn't do that. But what we see now and what's out there now. But didn't you help paint that picture? "Of course, I did. And a lot of people did. All the fault and all the blame here falls on me. But behind that picture and behind that story is momentum. Whether it's fans or whether it's the media, it just gets going. And I lost myself in all of that. I'm sure there would be other people that couldn't handle it, but I certainly couldn't handle it, and I was used to controlling everything in my life. I controlled every outcome in my life. You said to me earlier you don't think it was possible to win without doping? "Not in that generation, and I'm not here to talk about others in that generation. It's been well-documented. I didn't invent the culture, but I didn't try to stop the culture, and that's my mistake, and that's what I have to be sorry for, and that's what something and the sport is now paying the price because of that. So I am sorry for that. I didn't have access to anything else that nobody else did."

This guy won 7 trophies on a trot and was to cycling world what Michael Shumachar was at one point to F1. He was tested during those 7 years as other athletes and never tested positive surely? Its to say that guy winning it year after year would have been under periodic tests and if he had tested for any stuff than, he would have been binned long back. It seems crazy that after all these years he is being accused of doping and in one move stripped of all his titles which surely looks harsh at this stage? Can anybody shed light on how this works and on what grounds has this whole thing been based? :((:omg:
Its really sad as he is being banned only on the peoples talks who had seen them doping not on the failure of doping test as he had passed all the doping test ...