Musings of a Bihari

Guest dada_rocks

Guest dada_rocks

http://www.thehindu.com/op/2007/08/26/stories/2007082650011400.htm Musings of a Bihari MAYANK RASU Bihar is one of the most impoverished States of India. There are other States too which are equally underprivileged or even worse but somehow it is only Bihar that manages to hog all the negative publicity. It is the people of Bihar who are shot by ULFA militants and who are beaten black and blue in Mumbai and are threatened to leave. ‘Bihari’ has become a stigma word in the contemporary Indian society and is tantamount to a swear word. I have met numerous migrants from Bihar who admit that they do not feel comfortable in disclosing the information about their native place. There are others who speak with a condescending air that they have been “complimented†by people that they do not look like Biharis (an obvious case of low self-esteem which forced a chuckle when I first heard this). “Biharis†have now usurped the place of “Sardarjis†as a favourite butt of jokes. It is not just the jokes; there are other ways of embarrassing them too. Making fun of the Bihari accent and projecting it as the most rustic one is one of them. Subtle indications? So where does this leave an ordinary Bihari like me who has stepped out of the “god forsaken place†in pursuit of better education and a good living? Where should I go after cracking a national level competition? Should I go to our nation’s capital? But wouldn’t then Sheila Dixit attribute all the problems of “her†State to me? Mumbai’s door has already been shut on me by Raj Thackeray. The northeast is out of question. Where do I go now? Are these subtle indications that the rest of the country wants me to stay confined to my State? Isn’t it like saying ... “Yeah, you are an integral part of our family, but why don’t you stay away from us?†All this definitely leaves me with a sense of extreme sorrow and anguish. Why am I an alien to my own country? Why do I have to bear the brunt of the misdoings of the fiendish politicians who do not pause a moment before going live on the TV and making a fool of all of us? Now let me make very clear that the cupidity of the Bihari politicians (well...of most of them) has nothing to do with the people’s character and personality. The poor Biharis who were brutally shot down by the ULFA terrorists had no “treacherous†plans to annex Asom to Bihar. They were there just to earn a living (which is excruciatingly difficult in Bihar). Loyalty not taken note of I have spent the initial 18 years of my life in Bihar and never did I hear anyone saying “Jai Bihar†before “Jai Hind.†Never did I come across an agitation where activists boycotted Hindi over regional languages like Bhojpuri and Maithali (mind you, Maithali has its own script). Vir Kunwar Singh was always juxtaposed with other warriors of the freedom struggle in our history books. His being a Bihari could not gain him an undue advantage in his own State. Even after experiencing abject poverty and perpetual slight, no politician has ever dared to head start a separatist movement as that is never going to work owing to the people’s strong sense of oneness with India. Then why couldn’t the country reciprocate our loyalty? Why have we been reduced to a bunch of wretched citizens who always have to be at the receiving end of uncouth humour and animosity? Have we been taken for granted?

Then why couldn’t the country reciprocate our loyalty? Why have we been reduced to a bunch of wretched citizens who always have to be at the receiving end of uncouth humour and animosity? Have we been taken for granted?
Easy answer. Yes.

Guest dada_rocks

I tend to agree too; at least a modicum of positive discrmination on the basis of bihari sub-nationalism is in order.

I tend to agree too; at least a modicum of positive discrmination on the basis of bihari sub-nationalism is in order.
As unfortunate as it may sound that is very true. For all the drawbacks that Bihar has a very positive note remains that Biharis are as fiercly proud Indian as you will ever meet. Like true gangsters we(Biharis) only kill each other but I have not seen too many of us rising against National interest, one way or the other. That whole cultural fondness that a Marathi Manus has for a fellow Marathi is completely missing in a Bihari. Look around and see how easily Teleugu people get together, or Gujju or Tamil whatever, and then look around how Biharis are almost always to themselves. When I lived in Mumbai I would always hear a "Jai Maharashtra" thingy. In my brief stint in South India I would hear at times how South India was step-brotherly treated and it was time for Southies to up the ante against Northies. You would be hard pressed to see that emotion in Bihar really. If you sat down and made a list of Indians killed within India Biharis would probably top the list. The Bihari migrant has been killed in J&K, then Punjab, now Assam and NorthEast. It is only a matter of time that this is picked up by some politician and given fuel. And frankly that would be the most awful thing in modern Indian history. Of course the bulk of work has to be done by Biharis to get our state of troubles but rest of the country should also realize that if Bihar went up in flames it would be the worst such issue India had to deal with. xxxx

Guest dada_rocks

Commies days are numbered as long as nitish continues for one more term....... Laloo prasad gave them safe haven for his own politics in Bihar otherwise they were always the very insginficant fringe.......

Commies days are numbered as long as nitish continues for one more term....... Laloo prasad gave them safe haven for his own politics in Bihar otherwise they were always the very insginficant fringe.......
Communists have little to do with the present state of Bihar. It was run down by casteism plain and simple. Every party used it, biggest culprit being Congress, BJP and of course Laloo and now Nitish. xxx

Guest dada_rocks

They do have imapct on development why do u think in last ten years infrastructure development kept returning. it was soleley due to unavailabliity of builders noone was willing to take those projects due to maoist fear.. Even today in nepal-border region of bihar it's hard to find anyoen with proper standing who could oversee those road construction projects..

^^ Thats like saying India lost yesterday because Munaf Patel did not score a century!! Let me put it to you this way. If today Bihar is in a bad situation what %age of that do you think is because of Communists? And what would be the %age for casteism? And also the %age for parties like BJP and Congress?

Guest dada_rocks
^^ Thats like saying India lost yesterday because Munaf Patel did not score a century!! Let me put it to you this way. If today Bihar is in a bad situation what %age of that do you think is because of Communists? And what would be the %age for casteism? And also the %age for parties like BJP and Congress?
Nobody has figured oout percentage and I am nto intersted in multi-page diatribe over what i think what percentage impast they had .. All I know is before 90 whole indi'a development was stunted after 90 they took off whereas maoist made sure no infrastructure worth its salt gets implemneted in bihar therbey Bihar remains stuck in pre-90. Road network remains lifeline hence I am inclined to buys that they did impact in big way percentage notwithstanding...

Nobody has figured oout percentage and I am nto intersted in multi-page diatribe over what i think what percentage impast they had .. All I know is before 90 whole indi'a development was stunted after 90 they took off whereas maoist made sure no infrastructure worth its salt gets implemneted in bihar therbey Bihar remains stuck in pre-90.
We are not talking of nobody here, we are talking of me and you. If you are convinced in your criticism of Communists surely you can atleast try to show why you think so insteas of some mumbo jumbo. Bihar had started to slide in late 60s, 70s and 80s. It did NOT happen in 90s. After late 80s and 90s it was Lalloo than ensured that Bihar stayed on road of backwardness and not Communists. So cant see any reason why you had to throw mud at Communists in Bihar. Clearly casteist policies of Congress/BJP/JD etc brought us to where we are today.
Road network remains lifeline hence I am inclined to buys that they did impact in big way percentage notwithstanding...
Road network is lifeline for a lot of states, not only Bihar. Sure road network needs to be developed but thats not the reason I think. Plus Bihar, specially central/south Bihar, has fairly decent rail network. xxx

Guest dada_rocks
We are not talking of nobody here, we are talking of me and you. If you are convinced in your criticism of Communists surely you can atleast try to show why you think so insteas of some mumbo jumbo. Bihar had started to slide in late 60s, 70s and 80s. It did NOT happen in 90s. After late 80s and 90s it was Lalloo than ensured that Bihar stayed on road of backwardness and not Communists. So cant see any reason why you had to throw mud at Communists in Bihar. Clearly casteist policies of Congress/BJP/JD etc brought us to where we are today. Road network is lifeline for a lot of states, not only Bihar. Sure road network needs to be developed but thats not the reason I think. Plus Bihar, specially central/south Bihar, has fairly decent rail network. xxx
I am not given to pulling off number from hat just lik llike u do.. Just go ahead and do a comparison of bihar and other states as of 90 , there is not much of a difference. Whole India sucked with exception of few states. Besides caste politics was there all along but still there used to be days when people from punjab used to come to bihar in search of job. I am convinced if not for these Maoists spanner in development projects Bihar wud have been much better as of today. I suppose u have no idea what it means for the sanctioned project money to be returned. It says the stae machinery is screwed and can't do anything which keeps those who otherwise have invested at bay.. anyway I am not intersted in slanging match over this bottmoline is it's fcuked and needs change..Thank god someone who can read the budget balance sheet is at the helm.

I am not given to pulling off number from hat just lik llike u do.. Just go ahead and do a comparison of bihar and other states as of 90 , there is not much of a difference. Whole India sucked with exception of few states. Besides caste politics was there all along but still there used to be days when people from punjab used to come to bihar in search of job.
And when was this? In 1950s?? I can safely say that was certainly not the case in 80s. Yes you could have an odd case here and there but in the overall scheme of things it was not the case that people from Punjab would come to Bihar in search of job. To be honest it was completely other way around. Bihar had an abundance of Sikh population. Most of these Sikhs started migrating from Bihar in late 70s and early 80s for greener pastures. Gaya itself had a large Sikh population which is now all but gone. I would say the only Sikhs that remain in Bihar today would be at Patna Sahib.
I am convinced if not for these Maoists spanner in development projects Bihar wud have been much better as of today. I suppose u have no idea what it means for the sanctioned project money to be returned. It says the stae machinery is screwed and can't do anything which keeps those who otherwise have invested at bay..
What a ridiculous argument. Maoist spanner in development proejcts? How and why? Explain. The problem with Bihar has been the complete collapse of Law and Order. This is the reason why the existing industrialist left Bihar. This is the reason why every little town has 10 bahubalis. This is the reason why Bihar's kindappings was an article in TIME, let alone in Indian magazines. All this is based on one factor - casteist policies of Congress/BJP/JD and so on. Where does Communist Parties come here? xxx

Guest dada_rocks
And when was this? In 1950s?? I can safely say that was certainly not the case in 80s. Yes you could have an odd case here and there but in the overall scheme of things it was not the case that people from Punjab would come to Bihar in search of job. To be honest it was completely other way around. Bihar had an abundance of Sikh population. Most of these Sikhs started migrating from Bihar in late 70s and early 80s for greener pastures. Gaya itself had a large Sikh population which is now all but gone. I would say the only Sikhs that remain in Bihar today would be at Patna Sahib. What a ridiculous argument. Maoist spanner in development proejcts? How and why? Explain. The problem with Bihar has been the complete collapse of Law and Order. This is the reason why the existing industrialist left Bihar. This is the reason why every little town has 10 bahubalis. This is the reason why Bihar's kindappings was an article in TIME, let alone in Indian magazines. All this is based on one factor - casteist policies of Congress/BJP/JD and so on. Where does Communist Parties come here? xxx
Kitani baar ak hi kahani batanuga.. maoist don't allow infrasturcture proect that's how and why.. Politicians don't send money back unless there is sound reason heck infrastructure project is big time money hence big time opportunity for corruption so if they are letting this opportunity go untapped there has to be sound reason and that reason is maoist threat.. Bandhu as early as last year NTPC big boss got kidnapped.. Why Maoist do that well better connectivity means better mobility for security personnel and more trouble for Maoist..

Kitani baar ak hi kahani batanuga.. maoist don't allow infrasturcture proect that's how and why.. Politicians don't send money back unless there is sound reason heck infrastructure project is big time money hence big time opportunity for corruption so if they are letting this opportunity go untapped there has to be sound reason and that reason is maoist threat..
Phir wahi ghisa peeta raag? Sahi mein deemag se paidal ho kya? Communists parties in Bihar barely manage to get seats. In 2005 election they had a grand total of 5% votes, and that includes CPI, CPI(M), CPI(ML) put together! The Communist Parties put together had 8 seats in a Assembly of 320 plus seats!! In 1995 Total Seats : 324 Communist Parties seats won: 32 Vote % 6.1% http://www.bihartimes.com/elections/pp.html 2000 elections Total seat: 324 Communist Parties won: 13 As I see Communist Parties never won more than 10% seats, if that. So what are you on about Maoists stopping development movement?? I must say this has to be the weirdest comment I have heard on Bihar. xxxx

Guest dada_rocks
Phir wahi ghisa peeta raag? Sahi mein deemag se paidal ho kya? Communists parties in Bihar barely manage to get seats. In 2005 election they had a grand total of 5% votes, and that includes CPI, CPI(M), CPI(ML) put together! The Communist Parties put together had 8 seats in a Assembly of 320 plus seats!! In 1995 Total Seats : 324 Communist Parties seats won: 32 Vote % 6.1% http://www.bihartimes.com/elections/pp.html 2000 elections Total seat: 324 Communist Parties won: 13 As I see Communist Parties never won more than 10% seats, if that. So what are you on about Maoists stopping development movement?? I must say this has to be the weirdest comment I have heard on Bihar. xxxx
Number of seats se goondagardi ka kya lena dena hai........ ak simple example se baat samajha mein aa jayegi hopefully .. every city has handful of goonda whose fear-writ runs.. now go do ur math about what's the ratio of goonda to normal folks... handful of criminals are enough to create mayhem VVI: corrleation of data u are putting to the topic of discussion is very important.....

Guest dada_rocks
Correct. Next time, remember this when a terrorist blows up something in Kashmir or rest of India- it takes a handful to create mayhem, so no point in your bigoted jabs towards all muslims everytime it happens. Correlation of data is not a field you have much knowledge on, so i suggest you don't use big words just for show. If you had anything better than a common man's understanding of correlation, you'd know that % of muslim votes for an issue does NOT translate to ' this % of muslims voted for the issue', since correlation of data demands that the information on what % of muslims participated in the voting process is fundamental to such pronouncements. Clearly, you have no idea on correlation of data. Yet again, dopey se maat kha gaye. Tut tut tut.
dope-head they are not creating just mayhem.. they are creating more than that they have enginnered exodus which has nto happened in bihar or anywhere else though handful of criminals.. but dope-heads like u won;t be able to get it...... dhakkan why u keep embarassing urself.. election result si not handful u moron it's minimum 60% votes to maximum 90% votes.. who am i trying to teach rational thinking to a dope-head.. continue.. that post was for lurker anyway

Number of seats se goondagardi ka kya lena dena hai........ ak simple example se baat samajha mein aa jayegi hopefully .. every city has handful of goonda whose fear-writ runs.. now go do ur math about what's the ratio of goonda to normal folks... handful of criminals are enough to create mayhem VVI: corrleation of data u are putting to the topic of discussion is very important.....
What kind of BS is this?? This is why a lot of people may not even want to enter into a debate with you. First of all your friend jumps in claiming how Commies have restricted Bihar's growth and then like a true Lakshman(or Hanuman) you jump in with a "Yeah so true". Then when showed that in truth Communist Parties have been highly marginalised in Bihar(the numbers are up above) you jump in with a goondagardi theme!! So Commie goondagardi has restricted Bihar's growth :hysterical::hysterical: Isse to better tha you would not have replied, vanishing is much better than coming across as someone who doesnt have a clue about his own state. xxx

Guest dada_rocks
What kind of BS is this?? This is why a lot of people may not even want to enter into a debate with you. First of all your friend jumps in claiming how Commies have restricted Bihar's growth and then like a true Lakshman(or Hanuman) you jump in with a "Yeah so true". Then when showed that in truth Communist Parties have been highly marginalised in Bihar(the numbers are up above) you jump in with a goondagardi theme!! So Commie goondagardi has restricted Bihar's growth :hysterical::hysterical: Isse to better tha you would not have replied, vanishing is much better than coming across as someone who doesnt have a clue about his own state. xxx
(1) I claimed communists particualrly maoists scare has driven companies involved in infrastructure development out fo bihar.. (2) You give me they are marginalized in election.. Incidentally none claimed otherwise but u felt the need to provide thsi information (3) SO I went ahead and tried to see the relevance of this piece of information.. I don't see any relevane whatsoever.. For instance from my constituency JD(u) won last but couple of months back my home-town was attacked by 2000 maoists with guns in their tow.. blew up newly laid bridge first so that police aid cud nto come on time and did what they wanted.. now as per ur theory since JD(u) won from that constituency it means maoist menace can;t exist there.. what kidn of stupid logic is this.. Now u know whay this stupid data I igored.. Either u don't understand critical analysis or u deliberately do that........ South Bihar Nalanda, Hazaribagh either JD(U)/ BJP or RJD wins still that region has constantly been under maoist threat.. I fail to understand what does election result has to do with maoist ability to scare away workers of companies involved in infra-structure project... Very recently NTPC's big boss was abducted, every other day story of village-surakahs group manning ( btw it's new development under nitish) those road-wise constriction site with guns in their tow comes in news... all this to thwart maoist criminals.. ... had hoti hai bhai gibberish data ki

Guest dada_rocks
Bihar's current state of affairs lies deeper than just 15-20 years of Maoist menace at the most. But hinduvtas are neither noted for their intelligence or their integrity i guess.
dhakkan 15-20 years ki hi baat ho rahi hai .. jabse lliberalization shuru hua.. pahle to hindu rate of growth across the board tha kya bihar kya bengal.. :hysterical:

Guest dada_rocks
Lurks this is what I said ... in laying the blame for Bihars current state of affairs in order of importance. 1. i blame it on our propensity to screw our own people and the utter lack of the concept of unity 2. then throw in the commies corrupt babus .... yada yada ... never did I mention anything about Communist parties or their popularity ... amongst folks ... the commies that screw that region and its surrounding areas do so based on terrorizing people. I do not know how you arrived at me mentioning commies as equal to commie political party and their support. moreover I also said that this prob is not restricted to Bihar.
Usko bimari hai aam mein imali ki kahani batane ki....