"Open Letter To Indian Change Seekers" by Chetan Bhagat.

Do_Piaza

Lurks, I'm not sure I follow your point here. How would the middle class acknowledging a problem that is beyond the realm of their influence change anything? The middle classes, by and large, acknowledge the problem of terrorism. A problem that directly impacts an urban middle class Indian.Many people will be able the names of various terrorists/groups, dates on which major terror attacks took place, where Dawood Ibrahim stays etc. Has the acknowledgement helped us as a society to fight terror? IMO, our middle class, is one which is likes staying in its zone of comfort. Be it economically or socially vis a vis others. But one thing I would not accuse the middle class of is being ignorant. They are quite aware of the naxal menace. Whether or not they are concerned is a question of perspective.
You are right and my point is even if they are ignorant it doesn't allow the keepers of law & order a free pass. They still have to keep it in check despite recognition etc. That's the challenge!

As I said in post #28, the main problem in India is not the politicians or the industrialists - the main problem is corrupt and inefficient government machinery which cannot be voted out or marginalized, unlike politicians or industrialists. Whether it's the Naxal movement or terrorism or any other ill confronting the society the biggest and most pervading problem are the educated and sometimes otherwise brilliant but corrupt IAS/IPS/IFS etc. etc. officers and their equivalents at the state level and by extension the entire government machinery. Even on an issue which has no significance to a politician or industrialist getting things done is a challenge. Try to purchase land, make a house on it, register it etc. without paying any bribes or being faced with nonsensical delays. If an honest man cannot even do this much in a society it's a pipe dream to think he would be able to influence issues which actually effect politicians and industrialists.

Lurks' date=' I'm not sure I follow your point here. [b']How would the middle class acknowledging a problem that is beyond the realm of their influence change anything?
That question can be easily turned around and ask which would be subjects that middle class can actually solve?? The answer perhaps is None. Right from the lack of sporting culture to growing gap between rich and poor, or currently treatment of woman, middle class tends to be passive. The idiom - chalta hai - that is associated with Indian is not really associated with the ruling class, is it? It is the middle class.
The middle classes, by and large, acknowledge the problem of terrorism. A problem that directly impacts an urban middle class Indian. Many people will can name the various terrorists/groups, dates on which major terror attacks took place, where Dawood Ibrahim stays etc. Has the acknowledgement helped us as a society to fight terror?
In the context of this thread, do you really think middle class, or 3rd group, has actually done anything to fish out terrorism? I am not quite sure. Has the spurt in terrorism led a bunch of people actually join the Indian Security Forces, for example?? Given a chance most middle class folks will perhaps want to join Private companies, move abroad etc. The fight, if you will, is often left to those who dont have better options. Dont get me wrong. I have the highest regards for Cops, Security Forces, Intelligence Agencies who work hard for citizens instead of loudmouths (like me). But am I too far off base to say that the best talents often dont go to these agencies? And doesnt middle class often form the bulwark of the talent pool?
IMO, our middle class, is one which is likes staying in its zone of comfort. Be it economically or socially vis a vis others. But one thing I would not accuse the middle class of is being ignorant. They are quite aware of the naxal menace. Whether or not they are concerned is a question of perspective. :winky:
Zone of comfort is the context, isnt it. In fact now that I think about it, we definitely have a way of looking down at the rural/poor section of the country. It is fascinating that in a vast and diverse country like ours we are almost unanimous in differentiating between have and have-nots. For example. In Bihar it is fairly easy to ridicule someone as dehaati, or villager. In Punjab this takes the form of Pind. As if to suggest a person from village is somehow an idiot. What about Bombay? Dont people ridicule someone as - Do you think I am from Alibagh? or ghaati. Nobody ever derides anyone because he was from Marine Lines, do they?
PS: I don't know how many centuries Kohli has to his name. :D
That makes two of us then :--D