Piyush Chawla

kabira

All of you who want to know how Piyush is looking forward and what does he expect from batters all around the world, here is a useful snippet where Rajaraman has interated with him in SA: “I didn’t expect to see you here,†Indian vice-captain Yuvraj Singh told me at the Durban hotel on Tuesday when some players were meeting the media in the run up to the ICC World Twenty20 being played in South Africa. I didn’t have the heart to tell Yuvraj that a fortnight ago, I didn’t expect to be here either, having been a vocal critic of the format. Ah! To be a cricket ground and watching some international action! There has to be something alluring about it that even a traditionalist like me has got down to enjoying the action at the Twenty20. Truth to tell, I wanted to be able to network with some of the younger players in the Indian team and on Tuesday I could engage the emerging spin talent, Piyush Chawla in a chat. It was lovely hearing the 18-year-old Chawla talk about the art of thinking a batsman out. “We get to watch a lot of videos these days about batsmen. But there is no better way than to study a batsman at the crease. One has to keep watching the kind of shots that a batsman employs and bowl accordingly.†“Moving to the next step from any level is not easy. I have learnt a lot when playing the one-dayers outside India. The seniors have always given me confidence and motivated me,†he says. “Obviously my role in the side is to take wickets but if I can bowl economically – say one for 45 in 10 overs or even none for 40 in 10 – I think I have done well because the game has got so fast and the batsmen are always looking to do something all the time.†“I don’t think I have succeeded yet,†he says. “I may be easier to break into the team but to stay there by performing well is the challenge. I don’t want to just play 25 or 30 one-dayers. I am thinking long-term and I don’t regard my bowling in England as the peak of success. For example, after I got Kevin Pietersen out a couple of times, he took no chances against me and made it tough for me to get his wicket. I will have to find a way past his defence. “If a batsman like him tries to force his pace in Twenty20, I will be at an advantage. Batsmen usually find a tempo and when they come up against the slower deliveries and the game slows down a bit, they find it different. I think that in the Twenty20 format, the spinners can make their mark too,†he says with the confidence of much thought having gone behind that statement. He is also aware that things may get tougher when videos of his own bowling become available to teams around the world and batsmen get to read him better. “I have had that experience even in first class cricket where my second season was not as good as the first. I don’t think things will be easy at the international level and I will keep trying to add new layers to my cricket. “If now I deliver four good deliveries in an over, I am trying to get better and bowl all six good deliveries. I want to get more consistent,†he says. “I am focusing on consistency rather than adding new weapons yet. I believe I will be able to do that later.†Chawla says he has drawn enormous inspiration from India’s most successful spinner Anil Kumble. “I have had the fortune of interacting with him at our camps. I absolutely adore his energy levels and his aggression,†he says. “I cherish the fact that he has encouraged me to continue working on my game. There is always room for improvement. Irrespective of how the cricket goes at the ICC World Twenty20, I will be pleased that I could get beneath the mind of a young bowler who promises to be the standard bearer of leg-spin bowling in India when the master who answers to the name of Anil Kumble walks away from the game that he loves so much. ------------------------------------------------------- Hope the lad doesn't take the eye off the ball and forgets the art of taking wickets!!