Dravid's strengths and weaknesses as captain

Brainfade

This topic has been discussed ad nauseum, especially during the ODI series, but let's talk some more - because, am avoiding work, and frankly, 20-20 doesn't do it for me. Note that all my proclamations are embellished with "apparent," "seems to .." etc. It is impossible for a keyboard cricketer like me to assess these qualities just by watching TV; hence I approach with caution. Strengths: (a) Leads by example: His personal form has dipped recently, but he still works hard and plays hard, and his batting can be relied upon when the team is in crisis. (B) Gentleman: He seems even-tempered, even-keeled, and is probably fair in picking players and communicating before dropping someone. There does not seem to be any high-handedness or emotional team-picking. He seems to believe in giving players ample opportunities. © Thinker: His knowledge of the game appears to be scholarly. A technician par excellence, he also seemed to have a knack for making the right bowling changes (notwithstanding the Yuvraj fiasco). Weaknesses: (a) Aloof (?): He doesn't seem to be "one of the guys." A hard-thinking professional, he may be a bit aloof from the rest of the team. (B) Not vocal/inspirational: He does not seem to use the "us vs. them" strategy to inspire his team-mates. Does not have a chip on his shoulder. © Gentlemanly to a fault: When he takes the high road with regard to umpiring/sledging issues, it may appear that he is not standing up for his team. (d) Misreading weather/pitch conditions: This flies in the face of strength © above, but he makes some apparently bizarre decisions based on misreading the pitch. (e) Not "intuitive:" It is almost like he has/needs a script. Does not seem to trust his instincts. Anyone want to comment?