Harsha Bhogle

That doesnt answer my point, does it now? My question is not very complex DSR. Here let me repeat again. My post was in response to Sriram's comment about anecdotes by Harsha and I replied to him. Your criticism to my post had little to do with anything. You just assumed I was defending Harsha and his "fast talk". Now again, do you have a problem with my comments to Sriram? You are more than welcome to critique my post about anecdotes etc. but stop getting riled up for nothing. xxx
I am not getting riled up. You are getting riled up! Calm down and take a chill pill!
That is a generation shift Sriram. Harsha belong to the rare, and ever dwindling breed, of old-school commentators who were taught not to comment unless they could add something to the proceedings. I shudder to think what you would have felt had you listened to the old commentators on radio(specially TMS) who would talk everything about families sitting watching a game, comment on how a certain player might be thinking after being beaten successfully for 3 consecutive deliveries. This in essence, I dare say, shall take away the art of cricket. It is becoming more and more mechanical these days, statistical driven and now anti-anecdotal. xxx
Aahh.. I understand Lurks. Harsha does belong to the old school commentary. But i do feel his style is a bit one dimensional. You would want a commentator to bring you different aspects of the game , and not just get profound for every single reason. After all , all of us watch cricket to have fun, rather than to understand the intricate nuances. Having said all this , we do need Harsha style of commentators too. He can fit into any commentary team, effortlessly. P.S - And i have no idea what problem Dsr is having with you responding to my post. Dsr , Steady on Mate !
Aahh.. I understand Lurks. Harsha does belong to the old school commentary. But i do feel his style is a bit one dimensional. You would want a commentator to bring you different aspects of the game , and not just get profound for every single reason. After all , all of us watch cricket to have fun, rather than to understand the intricate nuances. Having said all this , we do need Harsha style of commentators too. He can fit into any commentary team, effortlessly.
Sriram. I don't neccesarrily disagree with you there. Like I said it is a matter of personal taste and perhaps generation shift as well. Look at it this way, if tomorrow I visit a book store to buy a cricket book I would much rather buy a autobiography with anecdotes, kinda like Sunil Gavaskar's IDOLS(a good read if you havent read it already). I wouldnt be so much interested in statistical books about cricket though I am sure some others would be. Same with commentating. My idea of enjoyment is to watch a game and have little tit bits on the side(like musings of great matches, games, players or plain funny moments), I mean on TV there is little the commentator can add to the scene anyway. xx
Sriram. I don't neccesarrily disagree with you there. Like I said it is a matter of personal taste and perhaps generation shift as well. Look at it this way, if tomorrow I visit a book store to buy a cricket book I would much rather buy a autobiography with anecdotes, kinda like Sunil Gavaskar's IDOLS(a good read if you havent read it already). I wouldnt be so much interested in statistical books about cricket though I am sure some others would be. Same with commentating. My idea of enjoyment is to watch a game and have little tit bits on the side(like musings of great matches, games, players or plain funny moments), I mean on TV there is little the commentator can add to the scene anyway. xx
Yes Lurks , i agree with almost all of what you have to say. A anecdotes based cricket book a million times more interesting than a stat based one. But if you had noticed in my opening comments, thats what i have said actually. Harsha sometimes gives this feeling that he is actually writing a book/article , rather than commentating live on a cricket match. I love to read his articles/works of literature. But i dont prefer his commentary that much. As you have said , its a question of personal choice , more than anything else.

Tony grieg is the man.. i can remember him getting all excited when sachin was firing in sharjah.. The sky team ( Hussain lyodd etc) is a verryyyyyyy boring bunch of oldies. The subcontinent commentators like rameez lal and maninder can makea good match seem crappy.. i think ESPN team is best of the lot

I've missed Wasim Akram the most from the ESPN team. Imagine how much he'd have told us when our two left arm seamers were leaving the English batsmen clueless, going over the wicket as well as round the wicket. He could also have told us why these same bowlers were not successful in the ODI series because Wasim himself has been a great ODI bowler as well. And here in T20, he could have given the views from a bowlers point of view, how the bowlers might have been feeling, what could they actually do, why the Pak seamers couldn't hit stumps in the bowl out, how Stuart Broad would have felt after that most brutal onslaught!! God!! We really missed comments/commetary from that point of view!! Shame on ESPN for not bring Wasim for England tour and this T20 WC!!!

Good post dsr! Harsha is becoming plain stupid - he went on and on like a giggly 10 yr old about 'nerdling' the ball' date=' like he was trying out for stand up comic of the year. Gavaskar is another one I detest, always so patronising and smug.[/quote'] Agree.
I miss Sanjay Manjreker' date= the best imo. Don't know where he's disappeared to.
Strongly disagree.