Comparing Kapil dev and Imran Khan

:giggle: By your BS standards' date=' Afridi was more of an "impact" batsman than Viv[/quote'] i went thru Afridi's career records. he is definitely an impact batsman in one dayers in my opinion. but in tests i doubt whether his longevity is adequate enough for the criteria.another thing we must not forget here is that Kapil and Viv played in the 80s where as Afridi started from late 90s. In 80s 250 on sub continental pitches and 220 in swinging conditions was a match winning one day total.but in Afridi's time period we must not forget that the average runs scored/inns by teams all over the world increased tremendously.we must take Afridi's str: rate based on this criteria. and again when comparing Viv and Afridi too Viv's str: rate has to be given more weightage based on comparatively far lower levels of scoring patterns during his period.whether Afridi is a more impact player than Viv or not, i can't say because that need to be numerically calculated based on all the above specified criteria.Yet Afridi's str: rate is unique in these times because no body possess such huge str: rate.and more importantly why i brought Viv into picture was to show how much an impact batsman was Kapil and that when analysing Kapil's batting we must take this impact also into account rather than his avg: of 31.05 alone.
:giggle: By your BS standards' date=' Afridi was more of an "impact" batsman than Viv[/quote'] Afridi played in a different era. During his time averages of 23 were no longer match winning ones because targets are often 275-300 these days. In ODIs, Imran averaged 33 at a SR of 72. Kapil averaged 23 at a SR of 95, uniformly maintaining that strike rate against all teams he played. In the 80s, where ODI average scores were in the range of 220-230, for batsmen coming in at five down or six down, which do you think was the outright winner? Kapil could blast off 50 runs off 5 overs to win matches for you, some thing which only very few players of the 80s could do. Imran does not even come close inspite of his higher average. If the asking run rate were above 5 or 6 for the last 15-20 overs I would want Kapil at the crease every time. In test matches, Kapil was truly a colossus as far as strike rates are concerned. He was like the Sehwag of the 80s. If only India team were stronger back then, many of Kapil's performances both with bat and ball that went in vain would have led to indian wins.

another important point when comparing Kapil's test batting to Ian botham and Imran khan(widely considered as better test bats than Kapil) is that Kapil was able to maintain his huge str: rates across all conditions.for eg: in completely foreign conditions of(WI&AUS&SAF&ENG&NZL combined) Kapil's str: rate is over 80.Bothams' str: rate is only 55 abroad against 65.83 at home.though i should say Kapil's fall in bat: average in these conditions is slightly more than that of Botham in abroad conditions.but here we have to take note so called aggressive Botham's fall in str: rate in abroad conditions from his over all str: rate of 60.71 to 55. similarly Botham's and Imran's drastic fall in batting figures in Windies the best side by a fair distance of those times.like wise there are a lot of positives in Kapil's batting which his figures does not reveal unless we dig deeper into his stats